What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

some11

Referee
Ray is a piece of shit but so are the Broncos as a team to watch, no attack = not entertaining.

They simply aren't a team worth watching if you aren't a Broncos supporter.

undertaker

Coach
Ray is a piece of shit but so are the Broncos as a team to watch, no attack = not entertaining.

No attack = not entertaining? Sounds like the Dragons to me:lol:

Also, with Ch9 having fixed scheduling from next year, will Ch9 show the Broncos nearly every Friday night in 2014 if they win the wooden spoon next year? With fixed scheduling occuring next year, how many games do you think the Broncos will get on Friday night?

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
I find it interesting that 10 are still sucking up to the NRL despite missing the rights, has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if they weren't on Friday night FTA every week of the year. Why not show the cowboys, arguably the most entertaining team in the comp (and who have a history of rating well). Brisbane aren't the only team in QLD and acting like they are is hurting ratings.

I don't have a problem with Ray, but he has had an unprecedented amount of bitching about on Facebook, Twitter, LU etc.

I think it also has to do with Brisbane having no 'face' in the team. The Broncos are filled with young backline stars, and a great forward pack, but Thaiday and Petero have never been the face of the Broncos it has usually always come from the halves/fullback.

The loss of Locky is a big deal IMO. Every other team has a big name 'playmaker' we don't so it is hard to get excited about attacking footy which is what people want to watch. People will bitch saying 'aww Broncos are hard done by' but at least one well known and loved player in our spine would of helped ratings I think.

We are just coming back to the pack.

If this is true it really doesn't speak all that highly about Brisbane as RL heartland.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
I find it interesting that 10 are still sucking up to the NRL despite missing the rights, has anyone else noticed this?
Maybe its to show the NRL that they are professional and are hopeful for next time, if they chucked a hissy fit, may look bad for them in future negotiations.

some11

Referee
Also, with Ch9 having fixed scheduling from next year, will Ch9 show the Broncos nearly every Friday night in 2014 if they win the wooden spoon next year? With fixed scheduling occuring next year, how many games do you think the Broncos will get on Friday night?

Maybe this wouldn't be a problem if they weren't on Friday night FTA every week of the year. Why not show the cowboys, arguably the most entertaining team in the comp (and who have a history of rating well). Brisbane aren't the only team in QLD and acting like they are is hurting ratings.

Short answer - Nine and Gyngell are a pack of merkins

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Wow I feel so much better that all of as fans make channel 9. 20 million bucks a year in clear profit.

Imagine even half of that went to nrl development

We could have 125 extra development managers a cross Australia

Billythekid

First Grade
Didn't less than 300k watch the Broncos semi last week in Brisbane?

Good to see the Cowboys getting an increase.

So when can we dispell the myth that only the broncos rate in QLD? Cowboys can bring in ratings just as good and they produce a high quality product that will make people want to come back. It will also reduce the saturation of the broncos and might encourage more people to want to watch them when they're on friday night FTA.

This is only looking at metro as well, i'm sure the cowboys bring in great regional numbers as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So when can we dispell the myth that only the broncos rate in QLD? Cowboys can bring in ratings just as good and they produce a high quality product that will make people want to come back. It will also reduce the saturation of the broncos and might encourage more people to want to watch them when they're on friday night FTA.

This is only looking at metro as well, i'm sure the cowboys bring in great regional numbers as well.

Cowboys don't want to be on a Fri night. We need a Brisbane2 team.

The Perth viewing figures give me ths sh*ts. I can't believe for one minute there is only 11k people watching that game given over 20k paid out over 40bucks a ticket to go to Subi to watch Manly. Problem with the small sample size is when it comes to lower figures it totally throws the accuracy out of the window. I think there is something like 200 boxes in Perth representing close to 1million households. Now if that random 200 happened not to include any of the smallish population of RL fans then it isn't going to rate, however if in that sample size we saw an over sampling by chance of RL fans then it would be much much higher. For example when NRL was on Nine on a Sunday it was rating 25k, as soon as it swiched to GEM it dropped to under 5k. I find it very hard to believe that all those NRL fans stopped watching. In reality what happened was of the 200 sample ratings household a handful would have been flicking and stopped on NRL boosting the ratings, when it went to GEM the handful of flickers were lost and the ratings plummeted even though in reality they would be well over 20k still imo. Poor sample sizing and massive extrapolation kills smaller audience accuracy.

We need to get me and my 10 mates who watch NRL to have a box each and our reported Perth viewing numbers would go up 50,000 overnight!

Billythekid

First Grade
Ratings for the Cowboys games would follow the same fate as the Broncos if they keep hadley "calling" them.

I dislike Hadleys commentating as much as everyone else on here but i don't believe for a second that is the reason for ratings dropping.