What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

El Diablo

Post Whore
I would think they would value showing every game live and a selection exclusive more! What would make you buy a subscription to Fox? How about every NRL game live and uninterrupted? They say they have reached saturation in NSW and Q'land, rubbish I say! There are a lot more NRL fans without Fox still.

bullshit

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-12b-from-tv-rights-deal-20120412-1wwnz.html

Delany allayed another fear that Fox Sports, having reached near saturation subscription levels in the rugby league states, would not be motivated to pay the same as Foxtel has outlaid for AFL where subscriptions in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia are significantly lower.

''Fox Sports still sees plenty of room for subscription growth among NRL fans and general sports fans in NSW and Queensland,'' he said. ''While it is true that we have good subscription TV saturation in both NSW and Queensland, when, say, compared to Victoria, there is plenty of growth left, especially if we can get new ways to present the NRL, such as every game live.''

Edwahu

Bench
I would think they would value showing every game live and a selection exclusive more! What would make you buy a subscription to Fox? How about every NRL game live and uninterrupted? They say they have reached saturation in NSW and Q'land, rubbish I say! There are a lot more NRL fans without Fox still.

They would value it more if they could get simulcast and the selection of exclusives included two of Friday, Saturday and Monday Nights. Problem is FTA will value its remaining slots less because they are no longer exclusive. This message was given loud and clear by Gyngell.

We know from this season that simulcast does not drive subscriptions if the exclusive games are rubbish.

docbrown

Coach
Another poor article by the telegraph making it all doom and gloom once again.

As if the NRL can't find a new naming rights sponsor. "Oh no! What will they do without the benevolence of Telstra!" :lol:

I've said it before but they can do better than Telstra. They need to find a business that matches their marketplace/demographics.

THE NRL could be on the hunt for a new naming rights sponsor amid fears that Telstra is about to cut back its commitment to rugby league. It is understood negotiations between the NRL and Telstra have reached a delicate stage, with a Telstra source telling The Daily Telegraph the telecommunications giant wants to retain new media rights to the code but will only stay on as a minor sponsor.
If that's so, the Telstra Premiership so named would cease to exist and the ARL Commission would have to start a search for a new naming rights partner.
In 2007, Telstra signed a six-year deal worth $90 million for naming and new media rights but it expires this year.
ARL Commission acting chief executive Shane Mattiske refused to speculate on negotiations when contacted last night, but sources close to the discussions said the commission was increasingly hopeful of retaining Telstra as the naming rights sponsor.

"We're in the course of negotiating our new media rights, our radio rights and our New Zealand TV rights," Mattiske said.
"We're talking to our incumbent partners and other parties in the market. We're happy to continue talking to Telstra about their renewal of their existing rights."
Telstra's chief marketing officer Mark Buckman was equally tight-lipped.
"As far as our negotiations with the ARL Commission are concerned, I am afraid that it is not appropriate for me or Telstra to comment at this stage as our commercial negotiations are ongoing."
When the ARLC announced its $1 billion television broadcast deal last month, Telstra was immediately considered the favourite to secure exclusive broadcast rights for mobile phones.
"We are delighted with the outcome regarding Nine and Foxtel. We remain in discussions with the NRL on digital rights," Telstra said in a statement at the time.
Should it win the bid for online rights, Telstra will be able to offer online replays and exclusive highlight packages to its customers.
The mobile rights will allow Telstra to stream live games direct to mobile handsets.
Telstra is hoping to replicate the successes it has enjoyed with its AFL broadcast deal, having forked out about $30 million a season for the new media rights.
Losing its naming rights sponsor would be a bad look for the ARL Commission, which is yet to find a new chief executive to replace David Gallop.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...onsorship-of-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1226477592154

Ron Swanson

Juniors
I've said it before but they can do better than Telstra. They need to find a business that matches their marketplace/demographics.

:lol: Telstra is the largest company in Australia operating in the consumer market and it doesn't match the NRL's demographics? The company with the largest market share in both the Mobile Phone and Internet markets?

I guess we should switch to Virgin Mobile NRL Premiership supported by TPG. That'll more match the marketplace demographics of the NRL then.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I personally would like a rule that the naming rights sponsor cannot also be a media partner

You are hamstrung when negotiating your new media rights when your naming rights sponsor is in that space

Can you imagine Vodafone bidding for the exclusive tablet rights to the Telstra premiership

Why doesnt a big player with australiasian company jump on board

Woolworths would be nice. They could brand it countdown for NZ games etc

Ron Swanson

Juniors
I see that everyone knew I was right ,so just dodged it with the typical BS. Telstra is the biggest naming rights sponsor you could have in this country.

Why doesnt a big player with australiasian company jump on board

Woolworths would be nice. They could brand it countdown for NZ games etc

TelstraClear.jpg

Unit June this year when Telstra sold it off, an Australasian company has been on board.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
I didn't bother responding to that post because it was flat out wrong and there's no point arguing. He suggested Youtube makes money because of advertising. The ad revenue doesn't make up for the running costs.

He explained the reason behind Google's decision-making but none of the business units have led to a return on investment. It's well known in business circles that Google's innovation strategy is to mainly piss off competitors rather than making astute financial decisions.

Billythekid

First Grade
Being the biggest company in the country doesn't mean you are automatically the best suited to every type of demographic in the country. Furthermore if they aren't willing to pay what we want than of course looking elsewhere is a better option. It doesn't matter how big they are if we can get more or equal money elsewhere.

I'm not sure why i'm responding to this when it is essentially you wanting to compare d*ck sizes. I guess you've got to get desperate now that the NRL is actually getting a decent payday.

docbrown

Coach
I see that everyone knew I was right ,so just dodged it with the typical BS. Telstra is the biggest naming rights sponsor you could have in this country.

In recent marketing polls it was found that Telstra has -
* A whopping 54% dislikeability rating out of the general population
* At least 16% of Telstra's own customers dislike telstra but are forced to continue using the service i.e. effectively held hostage

So basically you want the NRL to cosy up to a company that has one of the worst negative market ratings that over half of Australians dislike and that a significant portion of its own customers feel enslaved to.

You are a f**king moron. :lol:

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Vodafone is even more hated. Consumers generally whinge about their telcos. That's the nature of the market. You'll find that since the rebrand and Thodey's hard work as CEO, Telstra's brand image and customer satisfaction ratings are improving rapidly.

I can think of very few brands in this country that can be a naming rights sponsor for a major sports competition. Telstra is one of them.

Latest posts