What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

It shouldn't bother you if they have to pay him a settlement. They paid Hook a settlement, and they paid Gus a settlement. The courts in almost all cases won't make an employer re-employ someone they've already sacked. Maybe they will pay him out anyway without the need for court, at least in part. It would be hard to demonstrate that a social media post of some song lyrics was grounds for dismissal after all. A reasonable barrister would tie them in knots.
The NRL contracts contain pretty broad clauses around misconduct, and I dare say when they re-signed him after the video incident they would’ve made it clear any further missteps and he’d be in serious trouble.

Abacus

Juniors
I'm leaning towards this as well.

The media has blown the incident out of all proportion. To those that say it's not about his life journey to this point because of the court photo need to take a breath. In what universe is a major event like that not part of the journey? It's a piece of his puzzle, not a dig at his victim or his conviction.

It wasn't well thought out at all and he shouldn't have posted it. Not because he is a merkin for feeling the way he did when he posted it, but because the Helen Lovejoys are out of control.

If he were to be let go then it should have happened 2 years ago. To be rissoled over that tweet is pretty harsh imo.

In saying all that I think a year or so out of the spotlight would be the best thing for him. With the club coming out and explaining the tweet, making a statement about the terrible form of the media sensationalising the whole thing.
Yep, if they were serious the club could have given the show cause notice when they initially stood him down from club duties.

Really can't sack guys for being social media dumbf**ks though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Except in this case it wasn't consensual to film it and definitely not to share it around for laughs. Take the Morrison test, would this have been ok with you if it was your daughter or sister?
That trial was 2 years ago. Todays issue is a tweet. Would you be happy with your sibling or child being punished multiple times for the same offence?

Even if it does, is it a sackable offence to mention the court case?

And who gets to decide what is right and what is wrong? Should it be the panel on NRL360, or should we run a poll on this forum?

Absolutely not. It’s the context that matters.

If he’d posted about the court case and said it was an important life lesson, one which he’s learned from, that’d be fine. But the picture and the words combined suggest a lack of remorse. That’s the problem.

The only reason he'll be kept around is because of his friendships with the players/staff.

There's not even the "but he's a good player so we'll excuse the behaviour" line to be trotted out, because he's average at best.
Team culture is important. Those close to the team must value his input to culture.

We know Ivan can be ruthless when he needs to be; he wouldn’t be around if he wasn’t adding value (to the team that just won the comp!!).

That trial was 2 years ago. Todays issue is a tweet. Would you be happy with your sibling or child being punished multiple times for the same offence?

The two issues are directly linked, and besides past behaviour is often considered when there’s new misbehaviour. If someone continues to stuff up, you can’t judge all those stuff ups in isolation.

The_Frog

First Grade
Except in this case it wasn't consensual to film it and definitely not to share it around for laughs. Take the Morrison test, would this have been ok with you if it was your daughter or sister?
Tyrone pleaded guilty to the filming, but the charges regarding dissemination were dropped. Someone presumably got away with that one.

If my sister (who I should add at this point is 67 years old but was young once, and I have two sons but no daughters) had gotten down and dirty with a footballer she'd never before met and he took some happy snaps with his 1970 Polaroid (or he had a photo lab at home a la Graham Kennedy in "Don's Party"), I'd have considered it none of my damn beeswax. And besides it wasn't an offence in those days.

murraymob

First Grade
The fact is the club is following all legal avenue .by issuing a show cause and giving him a week..That legally allowed them to take action .Dismiss sanction fine
No idea what they will do .here is my view
Fine 25k
6 months volunteer work for a woman’s charity .let him learn and hear from the woman who have had there lives affected by various crimes hardships
After 6 months then 6 months working for free 1 day a week labouring let him see life with out footy

Yep, if they were serious the club could have given the show cause notice when they initially stood him down from club duties.

Really can't sack guys for being social media dumbf**ks though.

You can when the social media post is linked to a last conviction.

I find it so bizarre how many people are simply looking at the Instagram post in isolation.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
IMO May is safe. The show cause notice is a bit of public posturing by the club to appease sponsors & media. He'll be on his last chance with the club though.
Well 2nd last or maybe 3rd or 4th last. Depends how long he stays besties with Nathan.

Abacus

Juniors
Again I don’t disagree you, but there is an agenda against our club driven by the media.
Maybe there's an agenda, but f**k it someone needs to wear the black hat.

Just a shame for May that he's made himself an easy (& not completely undeserved) target.

Latest posts