What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

The_Frog

First Grade
The Judge said he was lucky to escape a term in prison. Obviously a minor offense. No big deal.
Much has been made of this, but as a cleanskin on a fairly minor charge he was never going to jail. There are guidelines on who gets sent to jail and this wasn't within them. It's a last resort. Magistrates (it was a magistrate not a judge) and judges too are given sentencing guidelines. They try to scare people so they won't offend again.

murraymob

First Grade
P
Tyrone pleaded guilty to the filming, but the charges regarding dissemination were dropped. Someone presumably got away with that one.

If my sister (who I should add at this point is 67 years old but was young once, and I have two sons but no daughters) had gotten down and dirty with a footballer she'd never before met and he took some happy snaps with his 1970 Polaroid (or he had a photo lab at home a la Graham Kennedy in "Don's Party"), I'd have considered it none of my damn beeswax. And besides it wasn't an offence in those days.
Pretty impressive to be having sex and also holding a heavy Polaroid camera .those of us vintage guys on here will appreciate how awkward those things where

The fact is the club is following all legal avenue .by issuing a show cause and giving him a week..That legally allowed them to take action .Dismiss sanction fine
No idea what they will do .here is my view
Fine 25k
6 months volunteer work for a woman’s charity .let him learn and hear from the woman who have had there lives affected by various crimes hardships
After 6 months then 6 months working for free 1 day a week labouring let him see life with out footy

He was already given 300 hours of community service

Absolutely not. It’s the context that matters.

If he’d posted about the court case and said it was an important life lesson, one which he’s learned from, that’d be fine. But the picture and the words combined suggest a lack of remorse. That’s the problem.
It’s a pretty heroic assumption that the post was as simple as a ‘lack of remorse’. It might well be part of it, but is he not showing remorse for playing footy as a kid or winning the premiership now.

But even if it was as simple as that, a lack of remorse isn’t a sackable offence. Whether we like it or not, May has a right to post his feelings on Instagram. If it was directed at certain individuals or parts of society, then he actually did it in quite a classy way. He might not have thought about the uproar it was going to cause, or maybe he did and that was the point of the post; but not a sackable offence.

The media are driving it from exerting pressure from high profile journalists.

Where‘s the pressure being delivered against the Storm and Brandon Smith and Cameron Munster. It’s all gone quiet.

Tyrone May’s behaviour has driven it.

People are sick of NRL players disrespecting women, society is sick of disrespect against women, they’re just not as equally outraged about people doing drugs.

Abacus

Juniors
You can when the social media post is linked to a last conviction.

I find it so bizarre how many people are simply looking at the Instagram post in isolation.
To dismiss him, they need to show which clause of the contract (or code of conduct) was breached. He'll have some plausible excuse which the club will need to be confident they can dispute should they sack him and then end up being challenged in court.

Besides, they wouldn't have "recently" registered his contract with the NRL if he was to be sacked...might find that this version excludes the prohibition on his social media use so that by the time he shows cause next week, the club don't have a leg to stand on.

It’s a pretty heroic assumption that the post was as simple as a ‘lack of remorse’. It might well be part of it, but is he not showing remorse for playing footy as a kid or winning the premiership now.

But even if it was as simple as that, a lack of remorse isn’t a sackable offence. Whether we like it or not, May has a right to post his feelings on Instagram. If it was directed at certain individuals or parts of society, then he actually did it in quite a classy way. He might not have thought about the uproar it was going to cause, or maybe he did and that was the point of the post; but not a sackable offence.

May has the right to post his feelings on Instagram, the club and the NRL have the right to respond. Contracts contain behaviour clauses, this isn’t new ground.

To dismiss him, they need to show which clause of the contract (or code of conduct) was breached. He'll have some plausible excuse which the club will need to be confident they can dispute should they sack him and then end up being challenged in court.

Besides, they wouldn't have "recently" registered his contract with the NRL if he was to be sacked...might find that this version excludes the prohibition on his social media use so that by the time he shows cause next week, the club don't have a leg to stand on.

The damages would be minor anyway, he’s not on a big or long contract.

The question for the club might be is if it does more damage by keeping him around.

If he wasn’t such good friends with the Cleary’s I’m confident he would’ve been long gone, but he might just survive to do something stupid another day.

ACTPanthers

Bench
So from what I gather, May is just misunderstood and should be admired for his strength to get through such a difficult period in which he knowingly filmed a woman in a sexual act without consent... Oh, and because some other players snorted some shit (allegedly) this is all just a media beat up and the whole world hates us.

Did I miss anything?

Iamback

Coach
Serious question - are the Mays your Oztag buddies?

No. Not my sort of people. I mean the gangster wannabe side

I just work in community services and see weekly people turn their lives around after stupid mistakes.

On the flip side those that don't.

While I don't agree with it. Playing something like NRL is good for people to improve themselves.

Everyone here is clearly perfect and their siblings are too

This is such a poor argument. Every day people face the consequences of their own actions, and often those consequences are imposed by less than perfect people.

But, no, I’ve never filmed a woman against her wishes and then gone on to dismiss it as no big deal. May has made his bed, and even if he gets another chance at the panthers he’s rightfully facing the consequences of his actions.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Lighten up Alice... Although unfortunately May's closeness to the Cleary's is likely to be very relevant in the determination.

So what if May is dating Indi and the same appiles with May being best mates with Cleary.

When it comes down to it this above will matter little on whether May is re-signed or not.

Iamback

Coach
So from what I gather, May is just misunderstood and should be admired for his strength to get through such a difficult period in which he knowingly filmed a woman in a sexual act without consent... Oh, and because some other players snorted some shit (allegedly) this is all just a media beat up and the whole world hates us.

Did I miss anything?

There is no way anyone can say that the media coverage across the board was anything near balanced

Latest posts