What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

The_Frog

First Grade
I expected a far better showing from your side today. The Eels weren’t at there best but despite the Tigers commendable fight back there just seemed something off about the performance. Madge is on borrowed time and I don’t think extending him is the way to go.
They can't seem to recognise talent when they develop it and they have big problems recruiting good players. If players just come for the money you're on a hiding to nothing.

murraymob

First Grade
Interesting thing will be what the board will do.i think they would love to move him on.but I am no lawyer so it’s only my opinion .i doubt they can terminate his contract on a cryptic post.yes he has prior screw ups but they where dealt with

Interesting thing will be what the board will do.i think they would love to move him on.but I am no lawyer so it’s only my opinion .i doubt they can terminate his contract on a cryptic post.yes he has prior screw ups but they where dealt with
I think his contract expires on 1 Nov.

But I think the club holds the power anyway. So Elliot and Ben Barbara and other players get sacked etc He’s probably captured by a general clause about bringing the club into disrepute.

From the outside looking in, I think many fans of other clubs follow the media line that you’re a juvenile delinquent rabble.

You may not like it, but as a club, you have lost a lot of respect. The public saw those images and millions of people were told you’re a bunch of bums for days and days. That only serves to detract from the actual good footy played and your place in history.

The board will sack May because by using your coach in the photo he’s invoked the good name of the club for his own deranged agenda. They need to be seen to be pro-active.

If he’s not sacked it will be seen by many as support for his denigration of his victim as well as her defenders -which sponsors and the media simply will not tolerate.

If they don’t sack him, the club will be continued to be butchered in the press. it will reflect poorly on people like Brandy who is beside himself as it is.

Ivans protests will be summarily dealt with privately. All things considered, I think it’s appropriate that Ivan be brought to heel for failing to curb the excesses of the celebrations. Nates too junior to have a respected view. Not his business.

That’s my honest opinion.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
The club has a truckload of differing and likely conflicting interests that it has to consider in making its decision.

1. The interests of the sponsors and a goodly proportion of the fanbase all of whom have expressed considerable disapproval of his actions. Can sponsors concerns be mitigated by imposing social media bans and implementing educational/welfare programs, as already mandated by the NRL, and possibly a period of non-participation in the first grade side, to remove the player from the glare of publicity?
2. The interests of the NRL and the club itself both of which are quite dependent upon business interests for their livelihood. This can and does put the sport between a rock and a hard place especially when the business interests are frequenly media whose own interests (to make money) are best served by sensationalising often trivial matters.
3. The interests of the playing group and coach, who appear to strongly support May. It's not hard to imagine a negative backlash if he's just thrown under the bus. While the likes of the Phantom would no doubt enjoy seeing Panthers have another rock bottom season like 2019 where they finished with the same number of wins as the Wests Tigers, it would be in the interests of no-one else.
4. The legal obligations of the club in terms of employment law. Obviously he could be paid out, but would such a payout be counted under the salary cap? And would this cost be greater than that of losing a sponsorship, all things considered.
5. The interests of Tyrone himself, to whom the club and the NRL have a duty of care regardless of what he might have done. The potential for an appalling tragedy and the ramifications of same for the sport, club, and wider community must be considered, and as we all should know it is nigh impossible to know what thoughts lurk in the minds and hearts of an individual under extreme pressure.

All things considered, I think the club should honour his deal, having held the appropriate discussions with its concerned sponsors, send him to the appropriate education/welfare programs, impose a ban on all social media bar none, and let him run around in reserve grade or even at St Marys for a period of time, perhaps half a season or so, not only to escape the glare of publicity but also to rekindle the potential he undoubtedly has.

Last edited:
The players are last people on earth who should be consulted or considered in relation to Mays tenure.

The “lunatics running the asylum” is the expression.

The ones who liked Mays post, they should be before the board as well with a please explain.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think his contract expires on 1 Nov.

But I think the club holds the power anyway. So Elliot and Ben Barbara and other players get sacked etc He’s probably captured by a general clause about bringing the club into disrepute.

From the outside looking in, I think many fans of other clubs follow the media line that you’re a juvenile delinquent rabble.

You may not like it, but as a club, you have lost a lot of respect. The public saw those images and millions of people were told you’re a bunch of bums for days and days. That only serves to detract from the actual good footy played and your place in history.

The board will sack May because by using your coach in the photo he’s invoked the good name of the club for his own deranged agenda. They need to be seen to be pro-active.

If he’s not sacked it will be seen by many as support for his denigration of his victim as well as her defenders -which sponsors and the media simply will not tolerate.

If they don’t sack him, the club will be continued to be butchered in the press. it will reflect poorly on people like Brandy who is beside himself as it is.

Ivans protests will be summarily dealt with privately. All things considered, I think it’s appropriate that Ivan be brought to heel for failing to curb the excesses of the celebrations. Nates too junior to have a respected view. Not his business.

That’s my honest opinion.

I'm sick (and very tired) of your 'HONEST OPINION'

Panther Mick

Juniors

Tyrone may have to go​

By Danny Weidler

October 24, 2021 — 5.30am
The Panthers baulked at sacking Tyrone May for his part in the 2018 sex-tapes scandal that rocked the club to its core, but after Wednesday’s board meeting, it’s the club, and not May, which will be under scrutiny if it doesn’t act this time.

Penrith gave May a big second chance when they chose not to dismiss him after he narrowly escaped a custodial sentence last year. May pleaded guilty in 2019 to four counts of intentionally recording an intimate image without consent. During his sentencing in January 2020, Magistrate Robyn Denes said May’s behaviour was “right on the cusp of a custodial sentence”.
The Panthers did the right thing by subsequently helping him with counselling as they sought to assist his rehabilitation. However, they now have more than enough ammunition to dismiss him after his third very public strike.

May appeared to play the victim in a social media post following Penrith’s grand final win when he captioned a photo of himself and Panthers coach Ivan Cleary leaving Parramatta Local Court with lyrics from Canadian rapper Drake: “And the dirt that they threw on my name turned to soil and I grew up out it.”
May was stood down by the club on Tuesday after the NRL fined him $7500 and instructed him to complete further education programs after “social media posts which do not align with the values of the game”.
Now questions are being asked about why the Panthers would not let him go.
At the start of last season he was the other player involved in the TikTok COVID-19 breach with Nathan Cleary. Throw in his recent issues and Penrith have more than enough to sack him. The issue, however, is there is significant support for May at the Panthers.

Digging into the sex-tapes scandal at Penrith in 2018 revealed a meeting that the panicked Panthers had with their players. Players were asked to come clean about any potential breaches of the club’s code of conduct, misbehaviour or further sex tapes. I’ve been told that as many as 18 of the club’s full list of contracted players raised their hands to confess to one form of misdemeanour or another.
To be clear, I am not suggesting that 18 players admitted to appearing in sex tapes, but sources with knowledge of the meeting have told me 18 players admitted to some form of indiscretion.
If May survives this latest stupidity, Panthers officials are going to be the ones under pressure and any slip-up from a player will bring untold attention on the club.

Why should they? They saw the post, took it for what it was meant to be and liked it. As did the official Panthers Insta account.
They aren’t to blame.
Where they publicly liked this self serving sex criminal criticising his detractors and singing his own praises about it, I think they need to be disciplined.

It’s a bad look for the club. It’s been mentioned in the media. They need to be pro active.

Latest posts