What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S.A. fixture wishlist

balmainbenny

Juniors
The NRL must do everything in its power to make the Australia v USA match a successful fixture. Here are a few ideas.
1. NRL and ESL must do everything in their power to make sure that ANY player who is eligible to play for the USA does so. Guys like the Walker brothers, Matt Peterson, Clint Newton, Julian O’Neill (the prop version) and Brandon Costin MUST play in this fixture. In a funny way, I think the Americans would like Chris Walker’s style.
Provide the players with good incentives (free airfares, accommodation, lucarative cash payments).

2. The NRL must overlook Clint Newton’s suspension just for this fixture. Im sure NOBODY would complain about that. The benefits of him playing this kind of match far outweigh the negatives. It would be good for his career and for International League. No harm in that.

3. Get a popular Australian act (known to U.S. audiences) to perform at the game. Any publicity is good publicity, especially in the crowded U.S. market.

Im very happy with the present TV situation of the match.
Murdoch has done great damage to our game. Let's see him repay us.

balmainbenny

Juniors
Imagine the U.S.A fans cheering for Walker. He'll be a cult hero over there. Even most Aust fans will want him to score 5+ tries.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Steve Irwin I would think would be an excellent marketing optin for the game,

he used to play as a kid, hell even dig out some Irwin u'13's photos.

Russell Crowe.

I'd like to see probably 1, and no more than 1, NFL ring-in.

dimitri

First Grade
russell crowe and steve irwin would be a great idea

what about olivia newtown john and john travolta for pre-match entertainment???

bender

Juniors
I know it wont happen, but I would like to see 2 or 3 local big name grid iron players bought in to the Tomahawks side. It would help with publicity and interest. Say, 2 wingers and one of their massive defensive tacklers to play in the forwards.

roopy

Referee
I think the best 'ring ins' the americans could use would be the absolute best players from the American Union side.
The people we really need to 'convert' are the 80,000 US Union players, and having the Kangaroos make their best guys look like they are spastics is the best way to 'sell' league to them. Many guys like Robert Balachandran, David Nui, Jeff Preston, Lauren Brusard (spell) and Ositi Fifita are already dual internationals for USA - so crossovers between league and Union is not a new thing.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You know I really don't think anything to do with RU is the way to fo anymore.. (I think I'll start a thread relating to this after this post).

There's really no glamour in the USA for RU players.

And the fact is, the USA's best RU players are still second rate athletes, they really aren't going to make the side more competitive.

For NFL ring-ins, just an absolute speedster down one wing, and an absolute ball carrying machine in the front row.

For RL to carry forward, I think it has to appeal as 'summer football' (fudbarl, gridiron, etc).

Many of us know NFL players who don't go beyond high school or college, really don't have an avenue to keep playing the game, and perhaps they really aren't suited to other sports.

RL's aim in the short to medium term is to get them.

Hell, even guys who are 6'3" and 110kg are considered too small for college football, but if have the right cardio-vascular training, could be idel for RL.

Same as guys who can only run 100m in 10.8 seconds or slower.

A game with an absolute flyer with swerve could show the other guys there is wing, fullback and maybe even centre positions.

An Emmit Smith, but smaller and slower could be shown if he can keep it up for 50, 60 or 70 minutes, and learn to offload, perhaps RL.

They will never earn NFL wages, and medium term, club games of say 5,000 people.

The benefit however could still be full-time professional sport, and a chance to represent the USA.

A steady 12-16 club comp, averging 4-5,000 spectactors, with a high drawing national side (55,000+) would be self funding and make them very strong on the world stage.

'Summer Football' 6 downs to goal, dynamic lines of scrimmage that are 10 metres back and no forward passes'.

Easy to market even to their mindset.

drinkin'

Juniors
balmainbenny said:
The NRL must do everything in its power to make the Australia v USA match a successful fixture. Here are a few ideas.
1. NRL and ESL must do everything in their power to make sure that ANY player who is eligible to play for the USA does so. Guys like the Walker brothers, Matt Peterson, Clint Newton, Julian O’Neill (the prop version) and Brandon Costin MUST play in this fixture. In a funny way, I think the Americans would like Chris Walker’s style.
Provide the players with good incentives (free airfares, accommodation, lucarative cash payments).

2. The NRL must overlook Clint Newton’s suspension just for this fixture. Im sure NOBODY would complain about that. The benefits of him playing this kind of match far outweigh the negatives. It would be good for his career and for International League. No harm in that.

3. Get a popular Australian act (known to U.S. audiences) to perform at the game. Any publicity is good publicity, especially in the crowded U.S. market.

Im very happy with the present TV situation of the match.
Murdoch has done great damage to our game. Let's see him repay us.

Men at work are supposed to be playing at Half Time...,