What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Umpires cost Australia the Ashes

It is quite clear that if, thoughout the match every decision was made correctly, Australia would have won that match and the Ashes.

Imagine after we got bowled out for 387, We were allowed to have Ponting, Martyn and Katich back in. We probably would have set them somewhere aroun 220 - 250 to win.

So when are we going to start using the technology???? Otherwise the ashes is going to become a lottery. With the 2 teams so close it is going to come down to who gets the better of the decisions in the 5th test.

At the moment we have 2 extremely inept umpires out there. Im not even sure The pakistani knows the LBW law. We need to have the best 2 umpires for the 5th test. Even if it means bringing in Simon Taufel. Regardless of what country they are from we need the best umpires out there because obviously these 2 have no idea and are spoiling this great series

fish eel

Immortal
The umpires havent cost Australia the ashes, australia have cost us the ashes. the deicsions have gone both ways. Ashley Giles had one that was plumb given not out...

Rather than think about, what if all the correct decisions were given, what about if all the catchable catches were taken. And also, the umpires didnt make ponting/martyn run on that suicidal single.

wittyfan

Referee
The umpiring has been poor but Australia's tactics (or lack thereof) have been exposed.

The Ashes are still up for grabs though!

fish eel said:
And also, the umpires didnt make ponting/martyn run on that suicidal single.

I wasn't refering to that as an umpiring error. I was referring to the 2 decisions where they played onto there pad and were given out in the first innings when both were looking good.

Sure Australia were outplayed in the first 2/3 days, but they were denied a chance to fight back by the umpires.

If the decisions had been going both ways then I wouldn't have a problem, but they haven't. Australia have been hard done by.

Regardless of peoples opinion that we didn't deserve to win, or were "outplayed", If the umpires get their decisions right we win the ashes. Simple

fish eel

Immortal
But my point is you cant say we're getting beaten because of the umpiring decisions.

If we were good enpugh, we would have held onto catches and the umps decisions would have been irrelevant, and as I said, its cut both ways. Ashley giles had a plumb LBW knocked back.

fish eel said:
But my point is you cant say we're getting beaten because of the umpiring decisions.

If we were good enpugh, we would have held onto catches and the umps decisions would have been irrelevant, and as I said, its cut both ways. Ashley giles had a plumb LBW knocked back.

Yes he did but how many runs did that cost England? How many runs do you think Having Martyn, Ponting and Katich still at the crease would have given the Aussies? How many runs did Warne's plumb LBW against flintoff on 8 runs cost?

So take the drop catches, and the poor batting aside and assume that all the above decisions were made correctly. I can't see anything but an Australian victory.

The fact is we cannot protect the umpires forever. They are on good money and have absolutely no excuse for getting the decisions so wrong in which they did.

fish eel

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
Yes he did but how many runs did that cost England? How many runs do you think Having Martyn, Ponting and Katich still at the crease would have given the Aussies? How many runs did Warne's plumb LBW against flintoff on 8 runs cost?

So take the drop catches, and the poor batting aside and assume that all the above decisions were made correctly. I can't see anything but an Australian victory.

The fact is we cannot protect the umpires forever. They are on good money and have absolutely no excuse for getting the decisions so wrong in which they did.

You've got a lot of ifs and buts there, taking away dropped catches and poor batting.

How many runs was Katich denied?

How knows, he could have scored a century, could have been bowled next ball.

Fact is, we just havent been good enough, and moaning about bad umpiring makes us look like bad losers, particuarly last domestic summer when we had all the decisions going our way.

borat

Bench
We are losing the ashes because we can't post a first innings total in excess of 250. Umpiring decisions go both ways and its expected the home team will probably get a slightly better rub of the green, as we have in the past. IMO wether we can claw our way back will depend on the toss in the 5th test.

JJ

Immortal
wow - some Australian's whinging about umpires - who'd have thought that????

should try and dig out some of the comments when others have complained Aust has had too much benefit of the doubt!!!

borat said:
We are losing the ashes because we can't post a first innings total in excess of 250. Umpiring decisions go both ways and its expected the home team will probably get a slightly better rub of the green, as we have in the past. IMO wether we can claw our way back will depend on the toss in the 5th test.

I don't think the toss will matter too much. They will prepare a road and it will be a draw. The English weather will probably come into play too. Just a damn shame this series has been ruined by Umpires.

Imagine how much sweeter it would be for the English if they could say they legitimately beat Australia.

JJ

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
I don't think the toss will matter too much. They will prepare a road and it will be a draw. The English weather will probably come into play too. Just a damn shame this series has been ruined by Umpires.

Imagine how much sweeter it would be for the English if they could say they legitimately beat Australia.

you're being a dead-set idiot - they are legitimately beating Australia, and it has much more to do with Australian incompetence and abysmal captaincy than umpires and reserve fielders

borat

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:

Every time England have had to bat last they have looked very shakey. Couple that with the pressure of being so close to winning the ashes and giving Warney a chance to bowl on a 4-5 day pitch it has to be our best chance.

If England bat first and post another big total we are gone.

Tommy Smith

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:

:lol:

That's right, it's a claytons Ashes series win. Just like when Australia drew with NZ in 2001 when the umpires killed the Kiwis. Langer 1st ball at Brisbane, Steve Waugh at perth which cost them the win.

The umpiring decisions in Australia used to be so bad in Australias favour that Michael Holding would have fun keeping count...the counts ended about 16-3 in Australias favour. And who can forget the inside edge from Sehwag which was given out in India which hurt them...or the amount of times Gilly has been lbw but not given (the lbw to Hoggard was his first ever to a fast bowler). I remember at Brisbane last year he was lbw about 5 times to Vettori but not given once.

Interesting isnt it when the shoes on the other foot...

Besides, its not as if Australia havent received the odd decision this series...Warne was plumb lbw, Clarke was plumb lbw to Hoggard as well last night.

Bottom line is England have been the better team and deserve to be 2-1 ahead.

ozbash

Referee
We need to have the best 2 umpires for the 5th test. -waltzing meningitis

yep, get a couple of aussie umps flown in right now.

i hope billy is up for the 5th and i hope hes pissed off .

El Diablo

Post Whore
Holding is a bias twat.

His tally was that stupid it wasn't funny.

He counted ALL 50/50 decisions as favourable decisions to Aus

eg: If an Aussie was given not out to a 50/50 LBW decision he chalked it up as incorrect and it should've been out. If the same decision was reached for an LBW when the opposition was batting it was correct.

Holding is an imbecile.