What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Un-signable players

Mal Meninga

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
Glad some of you aren't talent scouts.
None of us are talent scouts, so our opinions are all as valid as each other.

My 2 cents about Raiders halfbacks. Since Stuart, we've gone through Mcfadden, Mclinden, Finch, Monaghan, Drew, Withers, and Carney. To this day, "Cappy" Mcfadden is now our Flegg or Harold Matt's coach, Mclinden is over in the ESL after once winning the "prestigious" rookie of the year award, Finch if you believe reports is on the outer at the Roosters, Monaghan was handed the captaincy at Manly and is now being moved to hooker, while Drew and Withers are natural hookers, Withers homecoming has been sweet, while Drew was a shocking signing. The point is, since Stuarts disgraceful release, the lime green had gone from 10 years of stability at the #7 with the odd Fulavai game, to 7 different halfbacks over just as many years.

In this 2nd half of the year, and without a doubt one of the most painful years to have ever watched as a Raiders fan with injuries, close losses, and lack of talent in the backs, it's apparent that Carney has talent and has shown he can lead the Raiders in the future. He's shown more in these last 8 games than most of the previous half's have shown, and make no mistake in the years after Stuart we have made just as many, if not more, final series as the fans who are talking smack about Carney in this thread.

His problem is coaching, Elliot is a forwards coach. He has no idea on how to create an attack, his continual 1 off the ruck hit ups is not going to help Carneys development. People can say... Let's bring in Marc Herbert a bloke who looks very natural like Carney in the lower grades, or Willie Zillman a bloke who was playing schoolboys a year ago and looks every bit like Mark Mclinden. But without the support of a coach who's willing to bring him through properly, than all these talented blokes will turn to sh!te like the other halfbacks in the past. During out best years, we stole a young and cocky local who was touring for the other codes national team, and I speak for every other raider fan when I say, COME HOME PRODIGAL SON.

aqua_duck

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
And for the record, Anasta made his debut in 2000, killed it in 2001 and 2002, dropped off for a couple of years and is now playing well again.
he killed it in 2001 and that's about it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There are plenty of players who look like world beaters in Premier League, but fail to make the step-up into first grade.

Carney is one of those players.

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: and you base this off what exactly? his 8 entire games at halfback, of which you've probably only seen 3 or 4? Jeez, if you write a bloke off after 8 full games (max, 4 would be my guess) you'll be writing alot of youngsters off... good luck with that

nqboy

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
COME HOME PRODIGAL SON.
Thus far, Stuart's been unable to make Finch a good player. why is is that you think he can do better with others?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider_69 said:
:lol: and you base this off what exactly? his 8 entire games at halfback, of which you've probably only seen 3 or 4? Jeez, if you write a bloke off after 8 full games (max, 4 would be my guess) you'll be writing alot of youngsters off... good luck with that

Yep.

I'd rather write them off than turn them into superstars. That just looks embarassing for everyone, including yourself.

If the best Carney can produce was a half decent first half against the Tigers, then Canberra is in trouble...

Where did he dissapear to in the second? A halfback is supposed to take control of the game. Without Smith, Carney looks even more a reserve grader.

Can't you understand peoples reactions when the guy has been hyped to death, but produced next to nothing...?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
You've gotta be kidding Hybrid, Carney has taken control of the team when smith has been out. It's an excuse that the canberra fans make, that there team is rubbish, and i really think you should believe them.. lol. Players in there 17 who could make firsts at other clubs not including souths are Jason Smith, Clinton Shifcoske, Josh Miller, and Marshall Chalk, and Lincoln WIthers as and interchange hooker. Phil Graham could also fit into that category. Carney has shown something in his limited games, without having players running good lines and limited go forward. His got a good long passing game, and a good running game. I think with a full season Carney will be leading the raiders around the park well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
GC_Gladiator said:
You've gotta be kidding Hybrid, Carney has taken control of the team when smith has been out. It's an excuse that the canberra fans make, that there team is rubbish, and i really think you should believe them.. lol. Players in there 17 who could make firsts at other clubs not including souths are Jason Smith, Clinton Shifcoske, Josh Miller, and Marshall Chalk, and Lincoln WIthers as and interchange hooker. Phil Graham could also fit into that category. Carney has shown something in his limited games, without having players running good lines and limited go forward. His got a good long passing game, and a good running game. I think with a full season Carney will be leading the raiders around the park well.

well said
our team itself isnt sh*t, it has the abilities but they arent coached well enough to make any halfback look good, even someone like johns. They dont run lines, they dont have set plays, they cant attack. And Hybrid, who said that was his best? i said it was a small glimpse of what he is capable of, he is young and at this rate of improvement by the end of next year im confident he will be prove you wrong :)

Stuart

Juniors
Carney may or may not live up to his potential but im sure plenty of clubs would be happy to sign him so he most definately doesnt deserve to be in this thread.

As a raiders fan we have far to many other nuffies to worry about anyway. Gafa, Mogg and Kahler are all worthy un-singables!!

nqboy said:
Thus far, Stuart's been unable to make Finch a good player. why is is that you think he can do better with others?

Didn't he run second in the Dally M's last year? Didn't he play a key role in the Roosters making the last two grand finals? Didn't he play state or origin last year and not disgrace himself?

Do you people really believe the crap that comes out of your mouths? You don't play first grade -- let alone for a top team -- without being "a good player".

Matt23

Staff member
Renowned League Expert said:
Didn't he run second in the Dally M's last year? Didn't he play a key role in the Roosters making the last two grand finals? Didn't he play state or origin last year and not disgrace himself?
Fittler made him look good, without Fittler he's form went down hill :roll:

nqboy

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:

Do you people really believe the crap that comes out of your mouths? You don't play first grade -- let alone for a top team -- without being "a good player".
Ooooohhhhh. Looks like I might have struck a nerve with Renowned League Fraud.

But then again, who cares? He's a Rorter Supporter and better off dead anyway.

nqboy said:
Ooooohhhhh. Looks like I might have struck a nerve with Renowned League Fraud.

But then again, who cares? He's a Rorter Supporter and better off dead anyway.

i dislike the rorters like most other supporters do,and some of their supporters are grade one tools.....but the highlighted comment above is not on IMO

hook into them,if you want to but leave these type of comments out of it

Beaches Boy

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
That was a bad move, but at least the Eels had the guts to piss him off, the Raiders won't do the same with Carney.

The Eels only signed Tim until the end of 2007, so at least they learnt from their mistake.

What a shame he will be back on the Gold Coast in 2008

Bib

Juniors
Would you now add Adam Dykes to this list? One good season at the Sharks saw him ruin Parramatta, and now in turn he is trying to destroy Cronulla

The Colonel

Immortal
Beaches Boy said:
What a shame he will be back on the Gold Coast in 2008

Dream On..... there may well be a Parramatta half in the Gold Coast's future but it sure as hell isn't Timothy......

Latest posts