What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unchanged team vs Bunnies.

Rich102

Staff member
Unchanged line-up named to face Rabbitohs

Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary today named an unchanged starting line-up for this Sunday’s 20th-round NRL encounter with South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

The Vodafone Warriors go into the match in fifth spot with 24 points while the Rabbitohs are ninth on 20 points.
While Cleary has selected the same 17 he has added former Queensland State of Origin back rower Jacob Lillyman to the squad, replacing Sione Lousi who was 18th man for last Saturday night’s 13-6 win against the Melbourne Storm. Lillyman had been sidelined with a foot injury since the April 25 loss to Melbourne but returned to action for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup last weekend.
In beating the Storm, the Vodafone Warriors made it five wins on end, the first time that has happened for the club since 2003.
“While we’ve had a good run lately with some consistent performances we face another major test against the Rabbitohs this week,” said Cleary.
“They’ve got Sam Burgess, who has been in outstanding form this year, as well as David Taylor and Roy Asotasi in their pack and their backline is a really settled combination. They’ll be absolutely desperate after being beaten late by the Dragons last week.
“Nothing changes for us. We still have to front up again this week and make sure we compete as well as we can to be in contention.”
In the last six weeks, the Vodafone Warriors have collected 12 points from five wins and a bye, beating Newcastle 32-24, the Sydney Roosters 20-18, Parramatta 35-6, Penrith 12-6 and Melbourne 13-6 to take a share of fourth spot after 19 rounds. The club has enjoyed success in both the NRL and the NYC over the past month with the Vodafone Junior Warriors winning their last four games, the first time the club has put together a four-game winning run in both competitions since the NYC started in 2008. With the Vodafone Warriors sitting fifth in the NRL and the Vodafone Junior Warriors third in the NYC, the club is sharing the lead in the overall club championship with the Sydney Roosters.
Sitting seventh on the NRL’s try-scoring list is winger Manu Vatuvei with 12 from 11 matches, giving him 41 in his last 47 matches and a career total of 70 in 105 appearances.
VODAFONE WARRIORS v SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
ANZ Stadium, Homebush
2.00pm, Sunday, July 25

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1LANCE HOHAIA
2KEVIN LOCKE
3BRENT TATE
4JEROME ROPATI
5MANU VATUVEI
6JAMES MALONEY
7BRETT SEYMOUR
8JESSE ROYAL
9AARON HEREMAIA
10RUSSELL PACKER
11SIMON MANNERING (c)
12LEWIS BROWN
13MICHEAL LUCK
Interchange:
14IAN HENDERSON
15BEN MATULINO
16JEREMY LATIMORE
17UKUMA TA’AI
JACOB LILLYMAN
COACH: IVAN CLEARY

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/658/Unchanged-line-up-named-to-face-Rabbitohs

D

Deleted member 10972

Best team you guys have fielded since 2008:

2008 v 2010

1. Hohaia - Hohaia
2. Kirk - Locke
3. Ropati - Ropati
4. Tate - Tate
5. Vatuvei - Vatuvei
6. Witt - Maloney
7. Rovelli - Seymour
8. Price - Packer
9. Fien - Heremaia
10. Wiki - Royal
11. Matulino - Matulino
12. Mannering - Mannering
13. Luck - Luck

14. Henderson - Henderson
15. Swann - Brown
16. Tuimavave - Latimore
17. Rapira - Rapira

18. Lauaki - Ta'ai

It has me thinking...Moon and Jones, fair enough, they were supposed to be the stop-gap halves last year, but with McKinnon back in the mix Hohaia slotted in there a few times too (with Moon going back to centre when Tate busted himself). But Lillyman? Bloody pointless signing if I do say so myself. Offers very little.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Anyone feel like our best team at the moment to give us attacking impotus has Jerome at the back? Gee, he's been carting it back strongly when given the fullback duties (or custooodeeaaan as Costo would say).

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Anyone feel like our best team at the moment to give us attacking impotus has Jerome at the back? Gee, he's been carting it back strongly when given the fullback duties (or custooodeeaaan as Costo would say).

the only two sets in the second half against melbourne where we got any kind of roll on were when locke set him up to run it back, hohaia was taking the ball and casually running back trying to avoid contact.

it's worth thinking about.

Hohaia would be pending a fitness test on that groin wouldn't he?.

I just like the extra spark on attack Jro has been giving us from the back in those couple of games he played at Fullback. He seems to have a better link at the back where Hohaia seems kinda flat and doesn't seem to have that connection with the rest of the team like Jro does.

It's weird saying it but I much prefer him over Hohaia.:crazy::eek:

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
the only two sets in the second half against melbourne where we got any kind of roll on were when locke set him up to run it back, hohaia was taking the ball and casually running back trying to avoid contact.

it's worth thinking about.

Yep, they were the ones that stuck out in my mind along with the Eels game.

I wasn't sure if I was jumping the gun after about 100 mins back there, but certainly worth pondering over. Ropati has been making some unreal metreage of late.

Guys like Matulino, Brown, Moon, Heremaia have all thrived since being moved position under Cleary - maybe another to follow? Gotta tip your hat to Iv.

ozreece77

Juniors
I agree with you guys about Hohaia.
I've gone right off him at Fullback. Send him back to the interchange or out of the squad altogether. Actually was quite pleased when Luck threw him a hospital pass in Storm game as the little bugger has thrown a ton of them to his team mates this year. Now you know what it feels like Lance!

Warmess

Juniors
People have been complaining about Hohaia's kick returns all year. Really the only times he's done anything good is when he would link with Vatuvei, but that was far earlier in the year and we haven't seen that in recent times.

Ropati is definitely our best option this year, and Brown needs to play 80. I definitely think that's our best attacking side. What to do with Hohaia though if he is fit? Heremaia and Henderson have been playing pretty well, certainly would be more than harsh to dump them for Hohaia who may not prove to be any better..