What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unco and Pom

emetic

Juniors
Inferno said:
Ok, put yourself in Covell's position.

You are defending on the goal line, and the the whole defencive line is compressed giving you and the Pom 15m of ground to cover between the 2 of you. Pom slides in 5m giving you 20m to cover. So you have 2 options, you either stay on the wing marking the sideline and 10m in, leaving a 10m gap between you and the Pom, or you move in as well, hoping the ball isn't spun out wide or kicked to the corner.

What would you do?

thats not how it is happening though.

pom to the sideline was about 10m and he was sliding towards the sideline, covell darts out in front of pom and commits to a player that pom had covered.

covell was basically holding poms hand he was that close. he has done it uncountable times in the past. 4 times out of 5 it leads to a try once he makes a spectacular tackle.

Macca

Coach
We are playing a compreesed defense.

I just think the execution is off a little. Not much though, our defence has been the biggest improvement this year.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Macca said:
We are playing a compreesed defense.

I just think the execution is off a little. Not much though, our defence has been the biggest improvement this year.

It's off a little only because of the opposition so far.

If it's off by the same amount against the comp heavyweights we'll get lapped.

Our centres have been getting caught out since round one with up and in defense, but we have generally covered it well. It has only really been shown up now since the Tiges had the skills, speed and sharpness to take full advatage of our faults.

spider

Coach
=NCL]Our centres have been getting caught out since round one with up and in defense, but we have generally covered it well. It has only really been shown up now since the Tiges had the skills, speed and sharpness to take full advatage of our faults.
how many points did the tigers score wide of the ruck?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
spider said:
how many points did the tigers score wide of the ruck?

50% of their tries spide.

Fitzhenry, unchallenged.

Pretty sure he got 2 the same way in the corresponding game last year as well. 1 at least.

imasharkie

Coach
What we lose though is his excellent cleanup work out on kicks. He's close to the best in the league for defensive kick reads and damage control.

uhhh what about the 40/20 that was kicked to the Covell side. Very poor read by the great man.
Afraid I've lost confidence in the slow one. His mojo is gone. Time to bring a young buck in who can kick goals. Surely Nielson or one of the other up and comers can kick. 80% would be good enough as he would make up the misses with tries. I believe they all have speed to burn according to this forum.

spider

Coach
lol - 50%

only the 1 try - not something i would say the tigers took 'full advantage' of considering they only got the 1 try

i hope for our sake we hang by that % comparative to volume for the season remainder

Yep there was the fitzhenry try.

There was also another one they bombed out on the right in the second half with the line wide open. We were caught noticeably short espcially compared to other rounds.

Dont get me wrong our defence has been good. I cant complain about the scores being put on us. I think we are still in the adjustment phase which is good considering we have that improvement in us.

Surely

Post Whore
Inferno said:
Ok, put yourself in Covell's position.

You are defending on the goal line, and the the whole defencive line is compressed giving you and the Pom 15m of ground to cover between the 2 of you. Pom slides in 5m giving you 20m to cover. So you have 2 options, you either stay on the wing marking the sideline and 10m in, leaving a 10m gap between you and the Pom, or you move in as well, hoping the ball isn't spun out wide or kicked to the corner.

What would you do?

I always thought the winger should stay on his man, less ground for the inside men to cover if they get through between the centre and wing.

Inferno

Coach
Problem is it can sometimes leave a gap of 10 - 15m if Covell is staying on his man on the sideline and the Pom is 15m infield. Any winger who does that will get crucified.

The whole team needs to slide more when on their 10m line as opposed to rushing up and leaving gaps.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Inferno said:
Problem is it can sometimes leave a gap of 10 - 15m if Covell is staying on his man on the sideline and the Pom is 15m infield. Any winger who does that will get crucified.

The whole team needs to slide more when on their 10m line as opposed to rushing up and leaving gaps.

Or get up a helluva lot quicker like the Easts side that made 3 GFs in a row. Turn the fuggers back inside towards the defence.

The defence will change.

There's a con happening IMO.

This quizzical looking around at the ref to see when it's time to get off the player has to be part of a plan. Perhaps to set in the mind of the refs that The Sharks are a goody goody team who look to them for instructin and get off straight away. We have given away very ew penalties for lying around in the ruck.

Set that perception in stone and it opens up the opportunity to linger longer in the PTB.

By halfway through I reckon we'll be lying on the tackled player longer and the line will be moving considerably faster.

Thinking back to the early 2000s the Ryan Cross/Todd Byrne combo defended the same way. Wasn't a problem though because no one was getting the ball wide against the Roosters.

I'm not sure the team is reading the antithesis of the system which is when the opposition goes deeper to counteract the up and in. I think we are still a bit slow to adjust back to a full slide.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Inferno

Coach
CHAOS said:
Or get up a helluva lot quicker like the Easts side that made 3 GFs in a row. Turn the fuggers back inside towards the defence.

The defence will change.

There's a con happening IMO.

This quizzical looking around at the ref to see when it's time to get off the player has to be part of a plan. Perhaps to set in the mind of the refs that The Sharks are a goody goody team who look to them for instructin and get off straight away. We have given away very ew penalties for lying around in the ruck.

Set that perception in stone and it opens up the opportunity to linger longer in the PTB.

By halfway through I reckon we'll be lying on the tackled player longer and the line will be moving considerably faster.

Thinking back to the early 2000s the Ryan Cross/Todd Byrne combo defended the same way. Wasn't a problem though because no one was getting the ball wide against the Roosters.

I'm not sure the team is reading the antithesis of the system which is when the opposition goes deeper to counteract the up and in. I think we are still a bit slow to adjust back to a full slide.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I noticed that as well, used to be just Weirdo doing it, but now everyone is doing it, and yeah like you said we have given away very few penalties for laying on the tackled player. Hell Melbourne made it an art last year, slowing down the PTB just long enough to get the defence set, but before the ref could blow a penalty. It's a pretty ingenius ploy to be honest. Won't be long though before everyone is doing it.

Actually can be deceiving at times.

Most teams get off the tackled player after 3 seconds.

All though Newcastle are one of the worst most times it's 4 seconds.

spacemanspiff

Juniors
We've been doing the "Eye Contact" thing prior to this season. I wouldnt go so far as to say that it was a Roper innovation - but I remember the Nut and BK both used to do it regularly.

I've always thought it was a good ploy.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Anyoine blamning the Cov for the first try is kidding they had a massive overlap and they just gave it through the hands.

Pomeroy makes covell look bad in defence as he doesnt really have a general idea of positoining.

Thats Covs first below average game. Im not worried, and I dont think the cool calm and collective Luke covell will be either.

imasharkie

Coach
I reckon he should be worried BBSF.
His kicking seems a bit off and his game form has been ordinary.
I hope for your sake there isn't a winger in PL who can kick goals.

chili pepper

Bench
CHAOS said:
More like having a go at Stuart for the sake of it.

Stuart coached teams are generally highly regarded in the area of ruck defence. I reckon Gould was just trying to have another lash at Ricky.

bingo I reckon

Gus had been waiting for a chance to have a public shot at his ex since he joined the sharks. It was` as obvious as the nose on snorkels face

fatshark

Bench
Sharks defence on the left handside 10 metres out is really poor. The last two game either a chip and chase or a good pass has shown up Covell big time. The blokes gotta stay on the wing, I havent seen a try scored going on the inide, they all go around.His game aginst the Tigers was a shocker and he should be on notice...cant kick a goal when we need em.

Latest posts