What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

Moffo

Referee
Craig Innes - could've been so much more
Jamie Feeney - Never thought he quite took his opportunities
Roy Asotasi - on his day a world beater but also bloody lazy

Reni Maitua is a good call - could've been great if it wasn't for his shit attitude

Cheers,
Moffo

Puntastic

Juniors
Not quite an underachiever but:

Greg Waddell. 100k contract at 16 or so, 16 clubs after his signature, Penrith let him go this year (to Souths I believe?). Hardly his fault; the kid seems to be cursed with injuries, but even if he does crack firsts I doubt he'll be the player he could have been. The hype around this kid, you'd swear he could have been the second coming. Shame we'll never really know.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barney Haslett, got an Eels contract at age 14 (was on the footy show too)

Never wore eels colours in any grade.

I went to school with him. He was overrated more than anyone has ever been over rated.

He returned back to Tumbarumba a few years ago as captain coach. They lost every game & regularly lost by at least 50 points.

mongoose

Coach
NQ Cowboys

I've tipped them to finish top 4 each year for about the last 5 seasons and they haven't done it once.

Warriors are underachievers as well, although last time I said this I got a verbal lashing by some oversensitive warriors fans on this forum. I guess they are very happy with mediocrity....

captainwarrior

Juniors
Warriors are underachievers as well, although last time I said this I got a verbal lashing by some oversensitive warriors fans on this forum. I guess they are very happy with mediocrity....

Nah mate 100% agree. Take out 2002, 03 and 2011 and we really over the last 10 years have underachieved, considering the squads we've had. The likes of Faumuina, Toopi, Meli, Lauti'iti and Paleaasina all underachieved when they had the talent to be some of the best in the world. Heck even Evarn Tuimavave and Brent Webb kind of underachieved. Tui had one of the best offloads of the game at one point, while Webb left in his prime.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Nah mate 100% agree. Take out 2002, 03 and 2011 and we really over the last 10 years have underachieved, considering the squads we've had. The likes of Faumuina, Toopi, Meli, Lauti'iti and Paleaasina all underachieved when they had the talent to be some of the best in the world. Heck even Evarn Tuimavave and Brent Webb kind of underachieved. Tui had one of the best offloads of the game at one point, while Webb left in his prime.

Meli/Lauiti'iti/Feka didn't really underachieve, they just went to ESL for money. Big difference. These blokes are all still playing!

captainwarrior

Juniors
Meli/Lauiti'iti/Feka didn't really underachieve, they just went to ESL for money. Big difference. These blokes are all still playing!

Your probably right on Ali and Feka but Meli had an unbelievable 2002 and 2003 and then played like shit in 2004-5. Those last 2 years he should have built on his form in 03 but instead he fell off the face of the earth. In saying that though the Warriors as a team did the same thing so it might not have been entirely his fault.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Your probably right on Ali and Feka but Meli had an unbelievable 2002 and 2003 and then played like shit in 2004-5. Those last 2 years he should have built on his form in 03 but instead he fell off the face of the earth. In saying that though the Warriors as a team did the same thing so it might not have been entirely his fault.

I can agree with that. I find it absolutely amazing Meli still plays when even the 2005 version of him was a pale imitation of his old self.

vvvrulz

Coach

Of that lot only Toopi came back to the NRL, and he was a mere shadow of his former self as well. Back in 02/03 he was close to being the best centre in the NRL.

The Warriors player management in 04/05 was very disappointing, we lost a bucketload of talent that should have been hitting their NRL peaks instead of cashing in at the ESL. Cleary and Hart had to rebuild from next to nothing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Just a few

Matt Spence from the eels - could have been a rep player but never kicked on

Tim Horan from Souths - never kicked on

Daniel Irvine - eels

Ian Russell - steelers , should have been a rep player

Terry lamey steelers/Souths - had the world at his feet at the steelers but never kicked on, went to the Souths and struggled - was last seen playing third grade union in the Illawarra. In the juniors his team mate was Craig fitzgibbon, terry was the better player by a mile but Craig had the desire.

Last edited:

tangalife

Juniors
Of that lot only Toopi came back to the NRL, and he was a mere shadow of his former self as well. Back in 02/03 he was close to being the best centre in the NRL.

Was definately the best centre in the NRL ;-) World even. For that season.

Mr Saab

Referee
Just a few

Matt Spence from the eels - could have been a rep player but never kicked on

Tim Horan from Souths - never kicked on

Daniel Irvine - eels

Ian Russell - steelers , should have been a rep player

Terry lamey steelers/Souths - had the world at his feet at the steelers but never kicked on, went to the Souths and struggled - was last seen playing third grade union in the Illawarra. In the juniors his team mate was Craig fitzgibbon, terry was the better player by a mile but Craig had the desire.

You have to be taking the piss. Terry Lamey is only famous for getting into a fight with Hoppa in 2000.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You have to be taking the piss. Terry Lamey is only famous for getting into a fight with Hoppa in 2000.

Based on his junior form and initial few games he definitely underachieved which is demonstrated by your point.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Glad Owen Craigie rated a mention. Could have been anything, but chose to be a fat bludger.

Remember Milton Thaiday?