What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

Aragorn

First Grade
In what universe did JT underachieve?

In his second season, 1991, he takes 1990 cellar dweller (13th) Wests to the finals.

1992, he backs that up to the finals again. That season Norths finish 11th.

1993, switches to Norths and takes them to 6th. Makes Origin team bench twice despite Ricky's stranglehold on the 7 jumper.

1994, He takes Norths to within 1 point of the minor prem, and guides them past Brisbane in the finals, only to lose to eventual premiers Canberra.

1995, takes Norths to the finals

1996, League's top point scorer, Norths 3rd, and beat the Broncos in the finals - and wins the Rothmans medal.

1997, takes Norths to 4th, with a sumblime PD, and guides them past Parra in the semis, and only just succumb to eventual premiers Newcastle. Seasons top point scorer.

1998, takes Norths to the finals

1999, he misses the finals for the time ever as a halfback where Norths had a cruel year with injuries... they started the year strong.

2000, silly Northern Eagles crap - gets a release to Parra for the next year and

2001, guides Parra to a 20-2-4 Minor premiership season with a grand final.

He achieved admirably and quite a lot for a "poor man's" Ricky Stuart. I wonder how he would have done with Daley outside him. He never had Joey's skill, so how did JT underachieve? Norths were a good team, but they didn't have the finals strike power of Canberra, Brisbane, Manly... He got them there a lot!

On top of this he goal kicked at 75.24 scoring 2,107 points. Underachieved? He retired as top EVER point scorer.

Parra should have won in 2001 and it should have been his crowning glory. A first half blitz by Newcastle stopped that dream. But to say he underachieved because of that is mean... He probably should not have retired so young... Dykes and McFadden please...

in bold - I felt he underachieved due to the lack of rep honours. For such an all time great, he only got credit at the club level.

And while he may have taken Norths and Parra to the finals, he never actually WON a final - hence underachieved... :(

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Rep honours were going to be hard to come by with Langer and Stuart then Joey and Toovey above him.

mongoose

Coach
???

Vagana had an excellent career, by the time he went to the Sharks he was 29 and just past his best.

I had no idea he was that old when he arrived at the sharks...

Leslie the volcano Vainokolo should have played more nrl, went to esl way too early

RedVDave

First Grade
Josh Lewis

Played in the Dragons 20's team, and had a step to rival Brad Fittler. Signed by the Roosters and did not do much, then went the Titans where again he did not much (may have also played at the Tigers). Had a real attitude problem.

Yes! Forgot about Josh Lewis I really thought he was going to be something special, but never kicked on actually a few players from that Saints Flegg team never fulfilled their potential for mine:

-Charles Leano
-George Ndaira
-Daryl Millard
-Josh Lewis
-Danny Wicks
-Tom Hewitt

all come to mind.

ethan tremblay

Juniors
Yes! Forgot about Josh Lewis I really thought he was going to be something special, but never kicked on actually a few players from that Saints Flegg team never fulfilled their potential for mine:

-Charles Leano
-George Ndaira
-Daryl Millard
-Josh Lewis
-Danny Wicks
-Tom Hewitt

all come to mind.

danny wicks is a good one definatly in the running too grab a spot

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I always thought the Iro brothers underachieved.

Chad Randall was overhyped. I don't think he didn't live up to anything other than his name though.

tangalife

Juniors
sione faumuina. i saw him do some freak things. Him toopi and Meli become the most dangerous left flanks in league. kinda funny since toopi also dropped right off.

just wasted his talent and future away with the drink.

_addict

Juniors
He had a massive injury in 03, but he nevertheless came back hard. When the Warriors stuffed up there was a massive bidding war including many MANY NRL clubs. But noone could compete with the ESL money - especially mid-season. He was offered and turned down $500,000 a season by Wigan in 04, so god knows what he got at Leeds! He was a very sought after and hot prospect.

The problem was this, Eric Watson came in and buys the club, what kind of millionaire player doesn't own a sports franchise, and put Mick Watson in charge. Things under Daniel Anderson get very rosey. 2001 first finals ever, 2002 min prem and GF, 2003 Destroy the Dogs in the finals, beat Canberra and then lose a close game in the prelim to the Panthers who win the GF the next week. So the suits know what they're doing right? Showing every body prior how you do things to get success, yeah?

Ali had had a cyst in 03, but he came back strongly for the finals charge. Not 02 form, but certainly one of the best players in the game still, 04 the Warriors have a horror start. 1 - 4, so the suits come in to see what is going on and sort the problem because they know best... Not understanding polynesian culture, Mick Watson gets mad when Ali says he plays to have fun instead of saying what they wanted to hear, that he plays to win. He sacked him and then humiliated him in the media repeatedly, and through other players like captain Monty B, who was obviously following club orders, on a total cultural misunderstanding. It was shocking and disgusting. Obviously, you play any game you play to win, but he was very religious and from a humble culture where you say "that you play to have fun and not care whether you win or lose". The man clearly played to win, or when he was having fun, he was winning games, sometimes single-handedly.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/422047?format=html

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/422361?format=html

Warriors continue to lose, bye bye Daniel Anderson.

It was just total mismanagement of humble and religious polynesian culture. The Warriors and other clubs have learned their lessons from this, and it is far less of an issue now. After this incident, and a few others, clubs and coached learned how to manage and communicate with Polynesian players better.

There were also total unrealisitc expectations. The suits thought they could turn the club into something more successful than the Broncos. So after the previous three years they thought move over Brisbane. Even Wayne sometimes missed the finals or got a bad start. Through it, they lost a magnificent forward strike weapon and then they sacked the classy coach. Eventually the suits learned to back off.

To be honest, I could see a repeat of this on the cards in Newcastle in a few years...

The scariest thing, is none of the games that Ali played were complete hidings,

R1 Brisbane 28 v New Zealand 20 at Lang
R2 New Zealand 10 v St George Illawarra 16 at NZ
R3 Ali missed the game against the Panthers
R4 Manly 10 v New Zealand 28 at Brookvale
R5 New Zealand 20 v Newcastle 34
R6 Bulldogs 24 v New Zealand 18

Incredulous...

After Ali left the wheels started to really fall off...

Yep.

Sacking Lauitiiti was the most pissed off I've ever been with the Warriors. Mick Watson would probably make any list as the most underacheiving manager.

Just on other underacheiving Warriors - 'Hame Lauaki and Willie Poching.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Scott Gourley....I know he achieved a lot but then PUFF!! Great forward for St George and Australia as well as being a Yawnion rep.

Disappeared from the face of Rugby League. The guy had an awesome running game from memory.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Scott Gourley....I know he achieved a lot but then PUFF!! Great forward for St George and Australia as well as being a Yawnion rep.

Disappeared from the face of Rugby League. The guy had an awesome running game from memory.
Must admit during his career, I never thought much of him. Looked the part but really failed to deliver. Too me he never had enough mongrel in him. I have seen a few games from the past with him in it on Fox, I thought he looked pretty good. But it was only a couple of games.

ethan tremblay

Juniors

funny enough i was gonna bring he's name up but thought i'd be shut down and laughed at i agree with you there weather or not he would make the side if debatable

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
You can take Mortimer out he is still young and playing.
Grothe done pretty good also so should not be there IMO

Considering he was a shit trainer like his old man and preferred music, I think he did ok, SOO rep, and Australia if im not mistaken, shouldnt be on list.

Special K

Coach
Brett Firman. I was filthy back in 2003 when he was carving up for the dragons and we were stuck playing noddy ball

miănfèinàn

Juniors
Jason Martin and Matthew Rodwell.
Jason Martin certainly seems like an obvious one for this thread. People forget that in his first season he played every game and was one point from winning the Rothmans Medal. His superb control from halfback drove North Sydney from scoring only 29 tries in 22 games (and only 15 in their final seventeen games!) to 55 tries even with a weak outside back unit.

Martin played very well again in 1991, often playing at five-eighth, but for some reason Newcastle bought him from the Bears before 1993. If you consider the following facts:

1. Newcastle had a Norwich Rising Star halfback in Matthew Rodwell
  2. The Knights had the Johns brothers in their juniors to compete with Rodwell and veteran Hagan for a mere two places
  3. During 1993, Newcastle had financial problems especially after losing major sponsor British Petroleum
it does seem a serious mistake on the Knights? part to buy Martin. If he had stayed at North Sydney, Martin might have achieved a lot more.