What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underbelly: The Golden Mile

Bulldog Force

Referee
Also forgot to mention, Michael Kanaan has now been introduced into the show. The actor looks nothing like the real thing though. He looks like a young blonde Polish guy...

[furrycat]

Coach
Pretty much how it happened though, she never finished at the old academy.

And besides the hair, Kanaan looks pretty close.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Next weeks show should be interesting. It'll show the Lakemba drive-by shooting of 1998. Will be interesting to see how they depict it. Michael Kanaan was arrested shortly after that incident, so it looks like he'll be arrested the week after they introduced him to the show... even though he played a more prominent role in DK's boys.

Also forgot to mention, Michael Kanaan has now been introduced into the show. The actor looks nothing like the real thing though. He looks like a young blonde Polish guy...

i was thinking the exact same thing, Michael Kanaan attended CBHS lewisham when i was in year 5 and he was a man of middle eastern appearance, looked nothing like the skinny ozzie looking bloke they have playing him...

Bulldog Force

Referee
i was thinking the exact same thing, Michael Kanaan attended CBHS lewisham when i was in year 5 and he was a man of middle eastern appearance, looked nothing like the skinny ozzie looking bloke they have playing him...
^ ^ exactly right. It couldn't have been too hard for him to colour his har...

michaelkanaan_wideweb__470x428,0.jpg

[furrycat]

Coach
Next weeks show should be interesting. It'll show the Lakemba drive-by shooting of 1998. Will be interesting to see how they depict it. Michael Kanaan was arrested shortly after that incident, so it looks like he'll be arrested the week after they introduced him to the show... even though he played a more prominent role in DK's boys.

After he kills 3 people and maims a few others.

Bulldog Force

Referee
[furrycat];6660905 said:
After he kills 3 people and maims a few others.
What about all the 'rent' he collected off the streets of the Cross? And recruiting all the young kids to do the runs for them? He did all of DK's dirty work.
yeah and wasn't one of them DK himself???
Yes - they killed him because DK was ripping them off. They'd collect between $4,000-$28,000 'rent' per week (depending on the run), and most of them time, DK would only give them $100.

No, that doesn't justify what they did (nothing can justify killing another human), but that was their reasoning.

Bulldog Force

Referee
So Parrot's on the run it seems (even now). Never saw Egan killing himself. DK is about to get boned. Ibrahim was spared time at the commission. Billy Bayeh has been arrested. Hollingsworth has been sent to whop whop land to work in a brothel :lol: who the hell is the winner here?

Bulldog Force

Referee
One episode to go. The episode last night was so pretty accurate as to what actually happened. I still think there was about 20% fiction in it though. It'll all come to an end next week. Was pretty sad seeing the persona collapse of Michael Kanaan. A boy growing up with a family devoted to Christianity, made some bad decisions and hung around the wrong crowd. We all know what happened after that. He played a pretty central role in last nights episode. Not sure how accurate the abuse he copped from DK was though, and I'm also not so sure that DK used the boys 'pay' to purchase the rings (in real life that is, the showed portrayed it that way). I would also like to add the rings DK gave the boys in last nights episode had the boys first initial on them, eg 'M' for Michael Kanaan. In reality, the rings DK gave the boys were pure gold of a lions head with red rubys in place of the eyes. Nothing like what he gave them in the episode last night.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Except for the guy 2nd from the right (who is Irish-Russian), how many of the below men look Lebanese?

11.jpg

The gun prop on the left with fire power blowing a little too far away from the turret of the weapon

07.jpg

:lol: They could have found some actual Lebanese guys to play the characters, FMD I am sure there are plenty of them available in Australia

I hope CH9 stop at this series, if they continue onto next year they will have f**k all storyline to work with

Bulldog Force

Referee
:lol: They could have found some actual Lebanese guys to play the characters, FMD I am sure there are plenty of them available in Australia

I hope CH9 stop at this series, if they continue onto next year they will have f**k all storyline to work with
Ch9 have already blueprinted series 4 and 5 of Underbelly. I believe s4 will be about crime in the 80s in Brisbane?

Bulldog Force

Referee
[furrycat];6698244 said:
The real counterparts were not 100% Lebanese... hence why the actors aren't.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure they were going by their names and from everything I've read on these events.

Matt23

Staff member
Some were, some weren't, apparently the smartest member of the DK boys/ Kanaan gang was Croatian, and as BF said the 4th series rumoured to be about Police Curuption in Queensland during the 80's

Last edited:
In reality, the rings DK gave the boys were pure gold of a lions head with red rubys in place of the eyes. Nothing like what he gave them in the episode last night.

Yeah true that. Although I thought they had diamonds for eyes and a red ruby in the mouth? I could be wrong though.

They should of got the whole mid 90's royal commisson sh*t outta the way in the first 4 eps and focused on DK's boys for the rest of the season. Kanaan is easily the most interesting character in this series. How good was the scene where they pumped The Tunnel full of bullets and jumped back in the car driving away all hyped up on adrenaline? Awesome.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Yeah true that. Although I thought they had diamonds for eyes and a red ruby in the mouth? I could be wrong though.

They should of got the whole mid 90's royal commisson sh*t outta the way in the first 4 eps and focused on DK's boys for the rest of the season. Kanaan is easily the most interesting character in this series. How good was the scene where they pumped The Tunnel full of bullets and jumped back in the car driving away all hyped up on adrenaline? Awesome.
Close - it was the red ruby's used for eyes and a diamond in the mouth.

And you're right - having the Royal Commission and DK's boys in the series sort of made it look like having 2 different stories in series. If I'm correct, Kim Hollingsworth and John Ibrahim only briefly crossed paths once or twice in this series and barely said a word to each other.

The Tunnel shooting scene was done really well. I also think the White City shootout in last nights episode was good. However the seige at the end of the series wasn't done well - Kanaan's seige actually lasted 32 hours in real life before he surrendered peacefully to Police. The finale last night showed them all surrendering after a few minutes it seems!

Liked most of the series I must admit, but there were definitely parts that were dramatised just to get ratings.

Bulldog Force

Referee
If i recall correctly, one or both of the cops were shot in real life....and that didnt happen last night.
I know 1 cop was definitely shot in the episode as the other one arrested Doc. But you're right, there was a lot that was incorrectly depicted. For instance, they were chased by a cop car coming in the opposite direction for speeding (in real life), but last night's episode showed they were chased because they avoided a random stop by Police.