What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underrate the Raiders at your peril

raidersforme

Juniors
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Oh, for sure!!...Wellllll - except for the time you were busted cheating the cap in 1994, I believe it was - Not at all long after the inception of the concept in fact!...Cheating it THAT badly in fact, the ARL Chairman's (Was it Arthurson??) quote at the time was something along the lines of: "We would have stripped the Raiders of their title, such was the seriousness off this breach - had we discovered it earlier". Raiders were just lucky it took a full 12 months for the ARl to catch up with them...A LOT of people either don't know - or totally forget about this fact!

The power of the media.

Look - You can say a LOT of things about your team...but don't even PRETEND you're the 'Good guys' of the ARL/NRL...FFS - Mate, if anything - you Canberra are the ORIGINAL Salary-Cap cheats!...You invented it!...Bloody 3/4 of the NSW/Australian teams in your playing ranks in the late 80's/early 90's!...Yah...Just who are you trying to kid???? Come on! :lol:

forgive me for my ignorance if proven i am sorry

but i was in the nt for five years 93-98 the only way i found out about games was buying syd papers and the rare nt coverage

but have always been since 83 a raider can some other raider fan please back this up either way or can someone come up with link to prove this

it does not deffer from what i was saying about don't take the raiders at your peril

i honestly think that any club in the NRL is up for grabs for minor, premier, wodden spoon because the salary cap has made it so close i will bet anyone that the differrence will be 4-6 points between 15 to 8

I've seen Carney play - and...Nothing.

Zillman has big wraps...But so too have several hundred thousand players before him.

Deeds - not words.

Do you really think that those of us who have been around long enough to spot a decent player would put such raps on him if he didnt have the talent to do it? Idiot......

Even as much as I hate the guy, Andrew Johns seems to think Carney has the goods to go a long way.

KevinArnold

Juniors
Give them time in first grade, Carney has 8 games to his name at this point and zillman hasnt even played first grade yet, and half of you commenting on them probably havent even seen them play very much at all.

Did Benji Marshall make the kiwi side overnight? No
Did Trent Barrett make the australian side straight away? No
Did Brett Kimmorley make a rep team straight away? No

Two words: Tim Smith.

He'll have a say in who will be the future Australian number 7.

Smith is light years ahead of Carney, it's not even close. He came straight into 1st Grade and looked like he'd been there for a few seasons. I've seen Carney and has had an oppotunity at number 7 and didn't do much.

He won't amount to a Rep player.

What you've seen him once? Twice?

Granted, Smith is good, but don't write carney off because he didn't star in his first few games......

raidersforme said:
forgive me for my ignorance if proven i am sorry

but i was in the nt for five years 93-98 the only way i found out about games was buying syd papers and the rare nt coverage

but have always been since 83 a raider can some other raider fan please back this up either way or can someone come up with link to prove this

it does not deffer from what i was saying about don't take the raiders at your peril

i honestly think that any club in the NRL is up for grabs for minor, premier, wodden spoon because the salary cap has made it so close i will bet anyone that the differrence will be 4-6 points between 15 to 8

Unfortonately, as 1994 is pre- internet era...my research facilities in this regard - are very limited in this regard. But I have a VERY good memory - and I remember this well - as it was MY team - th Bulldogs - that you cheated to beat in 1994 - you just DON'T forget a thing like that, once you;ve heard it - believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?

But I KNOW what I say is true - and I'm SURE someone elkse will too, and can back me up here - and in any case, I urge you to do your own research here...because quite frankly - I won't be, because I cannot be fecked!! :)

Just look at the lineups of the post-salary cap era though...and note how many internationals/SoO reps Canberra retained thru this periond...For as much circumstantial evidence as you please!

I take your point of not writing off the Raiders - and as long as Jay Smith is on the park - I will be wary. But the instant he is out of a game - I will be tipping the opposition.

Sorry! ;-)

VictorTheViking said:
Do you really think that those of us who have been around long enough to spot a decent player would put such raps on him if he didnt have the talent to do it? Idiot......

Even as much as I hate the guy, Andrew Johns seems to think Carney has the goods to go a long way.

What Kevin Arnold said...I have been hearing about Todd Carney for at least twice as long as Tim Smith - And Smith has actually achieved in that time - whilst Carney has done SH&T.

I'm not saying Carney CAN'T get there, but on evidence so far...Nada.

Again I say - deeds, not words.

Raider Azz

Bench
it wasn't 1994 you douchebag, it was 1990. and the Raiders only went over the cap as they had winning bonuses added into the contracts of many players. It was these incentives and these incentives alone that put them over the cap, not the systematic cheating of the Warriors or Bulldogs.

Raider_Azz said:
it wasn't 1994 you douchebag, it was 1990. and the Raiders only went over the cap as they had winning bonuses added into the contracts of many players. It was these incentives and these incentives alone that put them over the cap

WELL!

Thanks for correcting me there...douchebag!! ;-)

Do pardon me - since it was only 'Winning bonuses' that put them over the cap...well - we'll just let them off, eh??

Yah. Sure. Youuuuuu f**kin' CLOWN!! :lol: :lol:

So by that logic - the Warriors were just dumb, and should have paid their illegal extras 'only if da warriorz winnded da premiership!'

Sure.

The ARL Chairman of the time's comments still stand - and ring as LOUD in my mind now, as they did then - whether 1990 - 1994 or 1932 - WHENEVER it was - and that is - that these breaches from a CLEARLY CHEATING team had been discovered 'in time' by the governing body - then that Premiership would have been VOIDED!

But don't take all this 'mere logic' personally mate - I like you - You're funny! :)

effnic

Bench
If manly win by less than 30 we would of played sh*t. Even though we still need to get used to our halves combo.

To be fair to Canberra they have one of the best records at making the 8 out of all clubs. Only Broncos have a better record in the past 20 years or so.

Canberra can still harp on glory days when PC's and Gameboys were the fashion. Sadly my Sharks haven't had glory days so you have to respect the Raiders history.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There is one reason why Canberra CAN'T win the premiership.

Matthew Elliot is their coach.

And from what I've seen, Todd Carney will be nothing. Zero. Zilch. I've never seen a more average player pumped up to be something great.

One of those players who sines in premier league, but is never able to make the step up to FG.

Zilliman is a much better prospect.

Raider Azz

Bench
WELL!

Thanks for correcting me there...douchebag!! ;-)

Do pardon me - since it was only 'Winning bonuses' that put them over the cap...well - we'll just let them off, eh??

Yah. Sure. Youuuuuu f**kin' CLOWN!! :lol: :lol:

So by that logic - the Warriors were just dumb, and should have paid their illegal extras 'only if da warriorz winnded da premiership!'

Sure.

The ARL Chairman of the time's comments still stand - and ring as LOUD in my mind now, as they did then - whether 1990 - 1994 or 1932 - WHENEVER it was - and that is - that these breaches from a CLEARLY CHEATING team had been discovered 'in time' by the governing body - then that Premiership would have been VOIDED!

But don't take all this 'mere logic' personally mate - I like you - You're funny! :)
you didn't even know what year it happened... so real reliable source you are. wank on about the arl chairmans comments all you want, but the fact is, the raiders situation wasn't even in the same ballpark of the warriors or bulldogs.

Raider_Azz said:
you didn't even know what year it happened... so real reliable source you are. wank on about the arl chairmans comments all you want, but the fact is, the raiders situation wasn't even in the same ballpark of the warriors or bulldogs.

Not only was it in the same ballpark Azz - it was there, pushing the Bulldogs & Warriors on the swings, and playing on the see-saw with them!!!

I'll say it again - you're funny! :D

Raider Azz

Bench
like i said, you're the one that didn't even know what year it was, so im afraid what little credibilty you had on this topic is long gone.

im not trying to be funny because the fact is, it wasn't in the same ballpark as the warriors and bulldogs. by your logic, the roosters are lucky the warriors weren't handed the title in 2002.

Raider Azz

Bench
Rabbitohs2005 said:
ill bet you anything that they will, even souths premier league team have a better side then the one your fielding this week, no joke
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

are you really that stupid? or are you just putting an act on to try and fool everyone?

Mal Meninga

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
There is one reason why Canberra CAN'T win the premiership.

Matthew Elliot is their coach.

And from what I've seen, Todd Carney will be nothing. Zero. Zilch. I've never seen a more average player pumped up to be something great.

One of those players who sines in premier league, but is never able to make the step up to FG.

Zilliman is a much better prospect.
Tell me where you've seen Zillman to suggest he'll be better than Carney? They're completely different players that have both domianted premier league at a young age. People tend to forget that Carney was playing SG Ball at 16, Premier league at 17 and debuted at first grade at 17. He was fast tracked way way too quickly and it will take a little longer for him to come through than expected. He's not even 20(or barely 20)... you can't write him off just yet especially considering he's a half. What you have to like about him is he has top passing skills and can run at the line. He needs confidence, only experience will enable that.

Zillman has yet to play a game of grade. He hasn't even had a full season of reserves, and played fullback when he did... I fully expect both of them to become good first graders over-time with a new coach.

Some first grade halves such as Orford, Monaghan, Prince, Gower off the top of my head became established first graders after a few years in the grade. They did not come into first grade and wow everyone, that is what I believe Carney is at this stage.

Eiether way Zilly and Toddy will be the future of the Raiders and that's fine by me. The Raiders have Carney, Dobson, Herbert, and Zilly who are all Aussie schoolboy halves in recent years, one of them is bound to become a star. For us Raiders fans you'd hope so anyway considering that Soward another halfback that has come through in recent years is no longer playing for us.

Raider_Azz said:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

are you really that stupid? or are you just putting an act on to try and fool everyone?

The Bunnies Premier league team would give the raiders a run for their money

Latest posts