What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unders 20's---> under 21's

neddy

Juniors
i heard a rumor today that this might be the case for the 2009 season anyone else heard this ???

The Tax Man

Juniors
If they were to change the age I would of thought they would add on at least two years to make it an under 22 competition.

girvie

Staff member
I think they should leave it.

If they changed it to Under-21s then it would be exactly the same players as this year.

roopy

Referee
If they made it under 23s and allowed a couple of older age players you wouldn't need NSW cup.

Poul

Juniors
I think they should leave it.

If they changed it to Under-21s then it would be exactly the same players as this year.

I've enjoyed watching a few Toyota Cup matches this year.
Ultimately I think this competition should be an under-23s.
I would like to see it become under-21s next year. That way we would get to see some of the same players, whom we have got to know go around again. Continuity and familiarity with the players will all help to boost the popularity of the competition.
Quite a few Toyota Cup players have gone on to play NRL this season, but there a more of them that haven't. A lot of these players still need more time to develop, both physically and in terms of skill levels. By going to under-23s , it would allow these players time to reach their potential, and not be put on the scrap heap at 21. Not every player, ut Greg Inglis, can be an NRL star at 21.
The NSW Cup has essentially been relegated to a 3rd rate competition, with little more profile than the Jim Beam Cup. By going to under-23s, the Jim Beam Cup could then become the legitimate 3rd tier competition, absorbing those players too old for under-23s.
It would also be good, for example, to be able to see young NRL players returning from injury through the ranks of the Toyota Cup, to further boost its popularity, and the older ones in Jim Beam Cup, agin boosting the appeal of that competition.
Whilst I would want to see new players coming into the competition, and I think that would still happen even on going progressively to under-23s, I don't want to see players being lost from the game just because they weren't good enough at 21.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I hope so
there are a host of 20 years old not eligable next year but not quite there for FG yet
i think in alot of these cases, its a matter of needing just one more year for their bodies to fill out

Personally I think the idea age is U23's, but U21's is a good start

Cryptic

Juniors
I think making it an under 21's would be fine but once you get to 23 (even 21 can be pushing it) they are ither a first grader or they aren't every going to make it (with some rare exceptions) and it would give some players a massive advantage, a lot of the 20 year olds in this comp still don't have the bulk that others do in first grade and if it was made to under 23's then I think this would change the face of it too much and it would end up being the old reserve comp sides with a slightly different name...

I like the current set up... At MOST make it under 21's but I'm also happy if they just leave it.

watatank

Coach
Yeah, agreed with the above. I am happy for the competition going up to 21's, in fact I think its actually an ideal age to set the limit at. If you can't break into the NRL at 22 chances are you're not going to cut it in the NRL, the average player is 23 after all. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule and good on them for persistance etc etc but the point is they are still the exception and not the rule. Also, raising the age limit to 23 is really getting away from the "best of the youth" concept and making it into an almost reserve grade equivalent.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
i heard a rumor today that this might be the case for the 2009 season anyone else heard this ???

If it happened it would screw the salary cap. All the 21 yos contracts would be audited within the NYC.

I would like to see it changed to U19. Some clubs are going to follow the Broncos lead and are in 09 not going to play their young players who are in the NRL squad players in the NYC comp, instead having them play NSW Cup. 5 of the Broncos best NYC players in 08 who are still eligible for NYC next year including Player of the Year , Ben Hunt have been told they will be playing Qld Cup if not required in NRL and no NYC.

Swainy87

Juniors
If you make the the age U/23's what happens to the players that finish SG Ball (U/18's) that aren't good enough to play against 23 yr olds or don't have the size or strength yet.... It will hurt them and push them away from our game.... If they move it to U/21's I wouldn't personally put it any older after that.

Matrix

Juniors
It would be good to go to under 21s as it gives kids who havent quite developed and clubs who arent sure if someones going to make it ,one more year to decide.

Big Tim

First Grade
U/20's is far too young.

How many 20 year olds, or younger, played in the NRL this year?

Godz Illa

Coach
About 50 by my count...

Chase Stanley, Lagi Setu, Israel Folau, Kevin Proctor, Liam Foran, Sam Joe, Joseph Tomane, Aiden Tolman, Jason Bukuya, Karl Filiga, Sonny Fai, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Isaak Ah Mau, Josh Hoffman, Andrew McCullough, Dave Taylor, Joel Moon, Justin Carney, Joel Thompson, Anthony Cherrington, Jake Friend, Ben Jones, Tim Moltzen, Peni Tagive, Kris Keating, Taulima Tautai, Tony Williams, Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham, Masada Iosefa, William Isa, Sam McKendry, Daniel Penese, Joseph Paulo, Jordan Rankin, Jordan Rapana, Esi Tonga, Shannon Walker, Luke Capewell, Sam Huihahau, Eddie Paea, Chris Sandow, Brandon Boor, Sam Bowie, Obe Geia, Nick Slyney, Ben Barna, Jamal Idris.

Might have missed one or two

Raider_69

Post Whore
What if it was U20's and then a certain quota of players up to the age of 23
so in a squad of 25, maybe you have 5 spots open for players above the age of 20 but under 25?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
About 50 by my count...

Chase Stanley, Lagi Setu, Israel Folau, Kevin Proctor, Liam Foran, Sam Joe, Joseph Tomane, Aiden Tolman, Jason Bukuya, Karl Filiga, Sonny Fai, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Isaak Ah Mau, Josh Hoffman, Andrew McCullough, Dave Taylor, Joel Moon, Justin Carney, Joel Thompson, Anthony Cherrington, Jake Friend, Ben Jones, Tim Moltzen, Peni Tagive, Kris Keating, Taulima Tautai, Tony Williams, Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham, Masada Iosefa, William Isa, Sam McKendry, Daniel Penese, Joseph Paulo, Jordan Rankin, Jordan Rapana, Esi Tonga, Shannon Walker, Luke Capewell, Sam Huihahau, Eddie Paea, Chris Sandow, Brandon Boor, Sam Bowie, Obe Geia, Nick Slyney, Ben Barna, Jamal Idris.

Might have missed one or two

Tim Grant and Michael Jennings are two more.