What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unfair advantage for British teams

NPK

Bench
They are playing all their matches at home in this tri-series, and every world club challenge is over there. Doesn't seem fair.

Booyah

Bench
I don't think it's very fair either. It's not like they've earned the right to not have to travel.

If anyone has that right its Australia.

aussies1st

Staff member
Its more like a world cup right now. Play in one country. Every other sport has home and away games.

The last two times GB has left their country to take on other nations they've had a record score handed to them (2002) and they took part in a Tri Nastions series where they might as well have not turned up and ALMOST lost to a bush team in a warmup match (1999)!

Booyah

Bench
nospam49™ said:
The last two times GB has left their country to take on other nations they've had a record score handed to them (2002) and they took part in a Tri Nastions series where they might as well have not turned up and ALMOST lost to a bush team in a warmup match (1999)!

But who's fault is that?

It's not Australia or NZ's problem if the Poms can't raise their standards of play to match ours.

Big Bunny

Juniors
NPK said:
They are playing all their matches at home in this tri-series, and every world club challenge is over there. Doesn't seem fair.

The Tri Series next year is in Australia. The WCC is held in England because the NRL doesn't care to risk making a loss by hosting it here.

Booyah said:
But who's fault is that?

It's not Australia or NZ's problem if the Poms can't raise their standards of play to match ours.

I agree.

I give the Poms hell about the fact they just do not move forward.

If anything, they are getting worse.

Pig Champion

Juniors
NPK said:

When did the ARL or the NRL last put up their hand to host a WCC or a test series. I think you'll find they think the games will make more money played in the U.K. and they often use the excuse "nobody is interested before or after the NRL comp".

Nz

Juniors
Look at the crowds Australia brings in =\ , 20-30 thousand, im not suprised.

players from the NZ team who are having off season surgery aint really helpin the international game at all.. the likes of benji marshall.. valakola or however u say it.... sonny bill... the nz side atm is not really full strength side is it? ppl want to see the razzle dazzle of benji marshall or the bulldozing flamboyent forward in the name of sonny bill. its no wonder international games don't draw in a big crowd... the players are not valueing the international game as they should...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Maybe if this country embraced International League like the Poms do, they would hold it here.

They love intenationals, and the clash of both comps' premiers, down here it wouldn't be as successful. Plus whatever helps boost the game in GB is a good thing, we don't need it as much as they do.

Booyah

Bench
And why does the game need to be boosted in England so much? I would have thought more promotion should be directed towards the Rugby-centric Kiwis (not that there's anything wrong with that).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If the GB side played a warm up game before a test match in Australia, maybe they'll do better.

In that 64-10 thrashing not only were the Poms still overcoming jetlag, but half the players in the team were sh/T. Bet theyre glad they got rid of David Waite and a few others.

colonel_123

Juniors
Pig Champion said:
When did the ARL or the NRL last put up their hand to host a WCC or a test series. I think you'll find they think the games will make more money played in the U.K. and they often use the excuse "nobody is interested before or after the NRL comp".

I don't know about the NRL but the Wests Tigers tried to have the next WCC held in Australia but were overruled by the powers that be.

ozbash

Referee

get over it you whinger.
from a kiwi point of view, anywhere but aussie is fair.

Charge

Juniors
Playing all your games at home is a doule edged sword. Yes, the support is great, but Aus and NZ have played 2 very difficult games to gel their teams before GB get a run out. 5 Games on the trot (assuming we get to the final) with no breaks doesn't help either.

Overall I'd say it ballances itself out.

nqboy

First Grade
Ideally, it would be played home and away with the final rotating. Aust and NZ could meet H&A while GB warm up with France or the unwanted ESL Anzacs. Then (a) they could come over here and play both sides before all 3 go to Blighty for GB's home games and the final or (b) we could go over and play their home games before we all come back here for our home GB games and the final.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Maybe if this country embraced International League like the Poms do, they would hold it here.

They love intenationals, and the clash of both comps' premiers, down here it wouldn't be as successful. Plus whatever helps boost the game in GB is a good thing, we don't need it as much as they do.

Agreed, somehow we have to convince the general RL public that the season isn't over when the Grand Final finishes. Because at the moment the poms put us to shame, they take their international league serious and are very passionate about supporting their team.

Latest posts