What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unforgiven

Pistol

Coach
Once again you're reading beyond what was said.

I said I like And Justice for All, and the Black Album, thats my opinion. A few people reckon that the Black album was the beginning of the end, their entry into the mainstream.

Their first three albums had more of a Metallica feel to it. Master of Puppets in particular. This was what many people remember them for.

Perhaps I should have been more specific when singling out albums and such.

Both suck. The first one is marginally better.

Their best ballads/semi ballads were sanitarium, fade to black, call of the ktulu and One.

Best song ever - Blackened off Justice for All

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Both decent songs for mine, and the firtst is probably my favourite track from the black album. However I'm with the rest of you in that the early material slays the later stuff, "Puppets" in particular is godly.
As for the Eastwood film, a great movie and my second favourite western ever, after recent Aussie film The Proposition.

Breadman

Juniors
There is one song that hasn't been mentioned yet which is my favourite.
It was made before Kill em all......someone must know what I am talking about and agree!!

Red Bear

Referee
Unforgiven is an excellent song. Black Album had its moments but wasnt great. FadeTo Black, One, Sanatarium, Ride The Lighting(song) and Battery are right up there for me, butbasically first four albums were brilliant.

SP

Bench
im not much of a fan of em either, but i like the 1s unforgiven better than the 2nd one, but still both good songs

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pistol said:
100% agree. Metallica were at their best in the mid to late 80's. And Justice For All, The Black Album were works of art.

Metallica with Cliff Burton on bass were untouchable. Newstead had his moments on a few albums, but Burton ruled.
how comw you say Burton on bass was when Metallica were great, yet the two albums you mention didn't have Burton playing on them?

The best Metallica albums in order are

Puppets
Lightning
Kill
Justice
S&M
Black
St.Anger
Garage
ReLoad
Load

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW - The first version is better by a long shot, the second is an attempt by Metallica to try and go back to their success with sh*thouse results.

HevyDevy

Coach
madunit said:
how comw you say Burton on bass was when Metallica were great, yet the two albums you mention didn't have Burton playing on them?

The best Metallica albums in order are

Puppets
Lightning
Kill
Justice
S&M
Black
St.Anger
Garage
ReLoad
Load

I'm susprised St Anger beat anything home - it's a pile of turd

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
its a lot better than the pop light alternative rock debacles that were load and reload

garage was nothing more than a pissy attempt to return to their roots by playing other groups songs, and ended up being good, but it wasn't any of their songs.

Mong

Post Whore
madunit said:
its a lot better than the pop light alternative rock debacles that were load and reload

garage was nothing more than a pissy attempt to return to their roots by playing other groups songs, and ended up being good, but it wasn't any of their songs.

I quite like the Loads.. Took a long while to grow on me (as did the black album) but there is a lot of good stuff on there.. I think people over look that because it's Metallica who are playing it and not what they expected or wanted from them.

I don't think garage days was meant to be anything other then a bit of fun, hence the name..

Metallica fans can quite often sadly be big whinges about sh*te, they always do what they want and have put out some great work, we should appreciate and be thankfull of that.

On the official Metallica forum don't ever mention if your not a fan prior to the black album or the "Burton Brigade" will tell you that you know nothing about the band and are not a real fan... Realistically Cliff and Jason were both great Bass players, sadly neither got much influence in the writing and recording so those that claim the band was better becauwe Burton was in it compared to Jason being in it are simply trying to claim fan superiority due to length of time as a fan...

sh*te's me to tears and i am a long term pre Black fan so that means i know what i am talking about...

apparently....

End Rant :lol:

BTW Unforgiven 1 was slightly better if i had to pick one but they are both good songs.

HevyDevy

Coach
Load and Reload lack all the qualities that made Metallica great.

If I wanted to listen to generic mind numbing rock I'd play some Nickelback

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mong said:
On the official Metallica forum don't ever mention if your not a fan prior to the black album or the "Burton Brigade" will tell you that you know nothing about the band and are not a real fan... Realistically Cliff and Jason were both great Bass players, sadly neither got much influence in the writing and recording so those that claim the band was better becauwe Burton was in it compared to Jason being in it are simply trying to claim fan superiority due to length of time as a fan...

I still think Cliff is better because you could hear the cool stuff he was doing on the early albums, whereas on Justice Jason simply doubled the rhythm guitarr and was inaudible. His work on the black album was nice, but of course to most old-school types nothing after Justice counts....

Paullyboy

Coach
Anyone who thinks a band is affected much by a bass player is kidding themselves. At the end of the day bassist's are just guitarists who couldnt cut it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
you should go and listen to some of the stuff cliff actually did.

He brought harmonies to the metallica sound, making them more powerful then they have ever been.

Cliff is quite easily one of the most talented bass guitarists that ever lived.

Jason was poor and never filled cliff's shoes, never came close.

The Loads have their moments, but they are just a generic sound that every new band on the scene was coming out with in that time. Groups like Live especially.

Red Bear

Referee
Jason was awesome live but(from footage seen/heard). His backing vocals, specially on Creeping Death, were awesome

Red Bear

Referee
The complete metallica discography

0. No life 'til sellout (demo)
1. Metal In Your Eyes (demo)
2. Headbanging 1
3. Headbanging 2
4. Headbanging 3
5. Headbanging 4
6. We're Getting Headaches
7. We're Too Old to Headbang
8. This Proves It
9. Garage Lmt.
10. Sadomasochistic Experiences with Michael Kamen and His Merry Gang of Dwarves
11. What's Headbanging?
12. Some Kind Of Sell-Out