What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union players you'd like to see at your club

Liakimatagi Moli - 197cm and 110kg. Sure, you would think of him being a big man with no skill. Although, he is more than that. He's only 20 years of age and if was eligable then he would of carved it up in the Toyota Cup. He's a great young prospect with huge potential. He would be perfect for rugby league since he is big, fast, mobile and fit enough to play in the NRL. He also has a sweet hairstyle.

typicalfan

Coach
James O'Connor would be a talented prospect. He is only young and doesn't shirk the collision, he would be one of the easier ones to convert. Ma'a Nonu would be a good one as well. Some of these players would enjoy freeing themselves from the restraints of Rugby.

Noa

First Grade
SBW, as he's the only one I know with 100% certainty will dominate in league

Brutus

Referee
Cooper Cronk has gone pretty well for the Storm, hasn't he?

Well he has been a leaguie all his bloody life!!!!

He played union at an union-only school, but he still played club rugby league.

He's just like Wally Lewis - leaguies ALL their life.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ben Kennedy, Ryan Cross, JWH, Matt Duffie, Jarrod Saffy, Ryan Cross, etc all come from Union backgrounds and have all done quite well.
There's a few Storm NYC prospects from NZ rugby who are guns

aqua_duck

Coach

Noa

First Grade
Meh, what else is a union ball (which travels further) at high altitude supposed to do.

Bazal

Post Whore
Union ball, high altitude, whatever...the hardest part is striking it (especially off a droppy) and getting it to go where you want over that distance. Those are amazing kicks, I don't care who's kicking them. Steyn is possibly the best kicker I've ever seen...if only he would come play the better sport!

Edit-I just have to say, as well, that the third (and biggest) kick there was against Leinster. In Dublin, which is at sea level.

Last edited:

winnyason

Juniors
To me only half a dozen worth looking at the big one, SBW, Nonu, Rockokoko, Quade Cooper, Brian O Driscoll(this guy would be a superstar), Shane Williams.
But even with the cap increase outside SBW would they be worth it.

Noa

First Grade
Union ball, high altitude, whatever...the hardest part is striking it (especially off a droppy) and getting it to go where you want over that distance. Those are amazing kicks, I don't care who's kicking them. Steyn is possibly the best kicker I've ever seen...if only he would come play the better sport!

Edit-I just have to say, as well, that the third (and biggest) kick there was against Leinster. In Dublin, which is at sea level.

Unions shape gives it much more stabiltiy through the air, plus its heavier. these have a massive impact.

I remember that Sl ball travelling a mile and Girdler kicked 95% with it that year. Joey kicked a steeden from 50 into the wind not too long ago.

Anyway youll never see League players take shots from that far out even though they could do it, and the day they do is the day I give it away.

aqua_duck

Coach
Meh, what else is a union ball (which travels further) at high altitude supposed to do.

Ummm the 1st drop kick was in France at Clermont which is hardly s high altitude city, 2nd kick was in Durban which is at sea level, and 3rd kick was in Dublin, but hey whatever makes your argument sound more convincing hey....
Also, sure a rugby ball is abit rounder and travels abit further, but the its not like he kicked it 55m, the kid hit a drop kick the best part of 80m on the full

aqua_duck

Coach
Unions shape gives it much more stabiltiy through the air, plus its heavier. these have a massive impact.

I remember that Sl ball travelling a mile and Girdler kicked 95% with it that year. Joey kicked a steeden from 50 into the wind not too long ago.

Anyway youll never see League players take shots from that far out even though they could do it, and the day they do is the day I give it away.

Benji kicked a field goal from about 50m which went over off the cross bar and channel 9 commentary crew almost creamed their pants, on Friday night Jamie Soward, arguably the best field goal exponent in rugby league had a shot from 40 odd metres and it didn't even go close. Steyn has kicked it from 58m out and it's gone into the crowd

Last edited:

Latest posts