What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union players you'd like to see at your club

Bazal

Post Whore
Unions shape gives it much more stabiltiy through the air, plus its heavier. these have a massive impact.

I remember that Sl ball travelling a mile and Girdler kicked 95% with it that year. Joey kicked a steeden from 50 into the wind not too long ago.

Anyway youll never see League players take shots from that far out even though they could do it, and the day they do is the day I give it away.

I've played both games thanks to Canberra's rubbish private schools and am very well versed in the difference between the balls. It's true that the Gilbert is easier to kick, no doubt. But the ball isn't what makes those kicks amazing, Steyn is. No one in Rugby will even attempt some of the stuff he does. I understand that people here dislike the game and that's fine...but Steyn is a super kicker. Just because he never had a chance to play our game is no reason to belittle what he's doing with those kicks. The 60m drop goal against the Cheetahs that's on youtube was into a fairly hefty breeze...to do what he does has nothing to do with the ball. The tiniest error over that distance translates to a shot that's miles off target at the end. You're only seeing the scoring kicks anyway, his play kicking is just as freakish. The kid has the greatest boot on the face of the Earth and I'd challenge any rugby league kicker, with a Steeden or a Gilbert, to kick like he does. Hazem was a star but he's an amateur compared to Steyn.

I also think there would be a place for kicking like that in league, at least from a place kick. Strategically, you could absolutely punish sides for infringements in their own half...two goals like that could be crushing for some teams. Obviously you wouldn't do it all the time...and even if you never would, imagine a penalty, on the siren, to decide the game from that range.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Tim Horan,Paul Hull,Will Carling.Serge Blanco,Christian Cullen,Jonah Lomu,Philippe Sella etc.

aqua_duck

Coach
I've played both games thanks to Canberra's rubbish private schools and am very well versed in the difference between the balls. It's true that the Gilbert is easier to kick, no doubt. But the ball isn't what makes those kicks amazing, Steyn is. No one in Rugby will even attempt some of the stuff he does. I understand that people here dislike the game and that's fine...but Steyn is a super kicker. Just because he never had a chance to play our game is no reason to belittle what he's doing with those kicks. The 60m drop goal against the Cheetahs that's on youtube was into a fairly hefty breeze...to do what he does has nothing to do with the ball. The tiniest error over that distance translates to a shot that's miles off target at the end. You're only seeing the scoring kicks anyway, his play kicking is just as freakish. The kid has the greatest boot on the face of the Earth and I'd challenge any rugby league kicker, with a Steeden or a Gilbert, to kick like he does. Hazem was a star but he's an amateur compared to Steyn.

I also think there would be a place for kicking like that in league, at least from a place kick. Strategically, you could absolutely punish sides for infringements in their own half...two goals like that could be crushing for some teams. Obviously you wouldn't do it all the time...and even if you never would, imagine a penalty, on the siren, to decide the game from that range.

Imagine a line dropout, if Steyn was taking the drop out you'd need to have your guys standing well inside your own half instead of around halfway, if he hits it sweetly he could probably land a drop kick about 75m

Noa

First Grade

NO doubt he strikes the ball brilliantly but give him a league balll and take 20m off everything. Campo drop-kicks a steeden 60 regularly, how far do you think he'd hoof a Gilbert.

Noa

First Grade
Benji kicked a field goal from about 50m which went over off the cross bar and channel 9 commentary crew almost creamed their pants, on Friday night Jamie Soward, arguably the best field goal exponent in rugby league had a shot from 40 odd metres and it didn't even go close. Steyn has kicked it from 58m out and it's gone into the crowd
Im sure Benji was alot more fatigued then this guy will ever get....anyway like I said which you seem loathe to acknowledge, a Gilbert will travel at least 20m further and stay alot steadier in the air. Give a him league ball and he'd be no better then Terry Campese.

Brutus

Referee
James O'Connor and Quade Cooper are leaguies.

They are doing ok in union aren't they?

aqua_duck

Coach
Yeh because a few years of league before they hit puberty really makes them leaguies.
JWH went from club rugby player to NZ International in the space of 18 months, Matt Duffie is another. There's a bloke from Cronulla NYC named Tyson Frizzell who was an Australian Schoolbiys Rugby player destroying opposition teams everyweek, last year Tohu Harris was arguably the most destructive forward in NYC even though he was playing against kids 2 years older and he was recruited from NZ Union, this tear the Storms best player in NYC is Matt McGahan, another rugby recruit.
Contrary to what some ignorant trolls might think playing Union doesn't mean you're genetically inferior

Noa

First Grade
Yeh because a few years of league before they hit puberty really makes them leaguies.
JWH went from club rugby player to NZ International in the space of 18 months, Matt Duffie is another. There's a bloke from Cronulla NYC named Tyson Frizzell who was an Australian Schoolbiys Rugby player destroying opposition teams everyweek, last year Tohu Harris was arguably the most destructive forward in NYC even though he was playing against kids 2 years older and he was recruited from NZ Union, this tear the Storms best player in NYC is Matt McGahan, another rugby recruit.
Contrary to what some ignorant trolls might think playing Union doesn't mean you're genetically inferior

Matt Duffie played league all his life along with Union, the fact he went to St Kents makes people think thats who he is, and yes Matt McGahan played Union, but f**k me that names familiar. I suspect he held a steeden once in a while.

Tohu Harris is a good one though, only played one year of league v very ordinary players before he played NYC.

PS. BTW the truth is Harris and Mcgahan are very,very average players . Of no use to anybody, hopefuly we can turn them into respectable NSW cup players :sarcasm:
gl

diddi kong

Juniors
bakkies botha - ruthless, wouldnt give an inch
wynand olivier - no one runs harder
bjorn basson - big young flyer
Liam Messam - less skilled than sbw but tougher
ma'a nonu - big man, hard to stop
Kurtley Beale
James O'connor
juan de jongh
Gio aplon

a lot of players

diddi kong

Juniors
anyone who says no one(other than for salary cap issues) is just stupid. league's talent pool is maybe half of australia, the other half are in union. there is definitely worthy talent. and then a whole world more of it.

anyone who says no one(other than for salary cap issues) is just stupid. league's talent pool is maybe half of australia, the other half are in union. there is definitely worthy talent. and then a whole world more of it.

We don't need any of them.

You overrate Union's talent pool in Australia, heavily.

As for the rest, who knows, who cares.

Latest posts