What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlucky

LeagueNut

First Grade
Gruesome injury will sideline Warriors' Luck

Micheal Luck's National Rugby League (NRL) season appears over after he was stretchered from the in-goal at Brookvale Oval with a gaping wound above his left knee tonight.

The inspirational New Zealand Warriors lock was taken by ambulance to an operating theatre at Royal North Shore Hospital so the 18cm-wide gash, which left flesh and muscle exposed, could be cleaned and sewn up.

Luck collapsed behind the tryline after he was accidentally raked by the boot of Manly second rower Anthony Watmough in the 68th minute of the Sea Eagles 19-16 victory.

The Sea Eagles enforcer did not escape unscathed from the collision either, he limped off after twisting an ankle.

Luck will not be available for the Warriors match against the Brisbane Broncos in Auckland on Friday night, even if he avoids infection.

The seventh-placed Warriors end their regular season against Parramatta, and need to win one of their remaining two games to be assured of making the top-eight play-offs.

Referee Jarrad Maxwell witnessed the impact on Luck's leg and told fellow match officials: "I don't want to see a replay of that."

Luck was taken from the field with his knee swathed in a towel - photographs taken by New Zealand Warriors doctor John Mayhew confirmed the extent of the injury.

A flap of skin covering almost the width of his thigh appears to be missing while the muscle is clearly exposed.

"It's a massive laceration. The sprigs have gone down and raked it.

"It will be cleaned up in theatre and then they'll explore to make sure there's no muscle underneath."

Dr Mayhew had seen only one similar injury during his extensive sports medicine career - during his time with the All Blacks, Wallabies fullback Andrew Leeds was the victim when he was rucked by prop Richard Loe.

Dr Mayhew said Luck's season was not necessarily over, only because of his durability.

"He's a pretty tough rooster. I'd say at least a couple of weeks but at this stage all bets are off. He's come back from some horrific injuries."

Luck's demise compounded a disappointing visit for the Warriors, who missed an opportunity to confirm their berth in the post-season.

"It was a good close game, nothing in it, and it's disappointing to lose when that's the case," said Warriors head coach Ivan Cleary, who lamented being on the wrong end of a 10-5 penalty count.

He conceded the Warriors hopes of securing home advantage by finishing in the top four had been dented.

"If you're losing against competitors and they go up and you don't it's hard."

However, he was impressed with his players' resolve.

"I think we can have confidence we can compete in the big games coming up," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4047756/Gruesome-injury-will-sideline-Warriors-Luck

Bugger.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Move Mannering to lock, Tai'i into the starting line up, Lilyman back to playing second row.

AliN

Live Update Team
Bad luck but like Mayhew says, he's a tough cookie.
Here's hoping there's no infection.

ozbash

Referee
thought he,d ripped an aertery when they hoisted him onto the stretcher that quickly.

glad he's ok.

ozreece77

Juniors
wouldnt mind looking at the studs on that psycho Watmough.
hard to believe normal studs would do that sort of damage

Iafeta

Referee
Really bad luck (excuse the pun). Like oz, first thoughts are with Luck and hope that there's no serious damage there.

Skinner

Coach
wouldnt mind looking at the studs on that psycho Watmough.
hard to believe normal studs would do that sort of damage

Not quite sure what you are intimating here. All spriggs are inspected by match officials prior to teams taking the field.

One Warrior

Bench
Must of been one freaky kind of accident, does not happen very often, thank goodness, glad we did not have vision of it and hopefully Lucky doesn't get an infection as that could get really nasty.

ozreece77

Juniors
Not quite sure what you are intimating here. All spriggs are inspected by match officials prior to teams taking the field.

Already seen countless examples this season of match officials not doing their job on the field. What makes you think they do it any better off the field?

Last edited:

Martli

Coach
Maybe because the on field mistakes are down to human error as opposed to failure to follow protocol?

ToiletDuck

Juniors
If Watmough intended to have illegal studs to hurt the opposition, I'm sure he wouldn't have waited for the last 10 minutes...and for him to be the one being tackled to take his chance to injure our player(s).

As far as Luck's replacement...I'd be surprised if it isn't Lillyman who isn't moved to lock..

ozreece77

Juniors
If Watmough intended to have illegal studs to hurt the opposition, I'm sure he wouldn't have waited for the last 10 minutes...and for him to be the one being tackled to take his chance to injure our player(s).

As far as Luck's replacement...I'd be surprised if it isn't Lillyman who isn't moved to lock..

of course he didnt go out to injure anyone with his boots. Just wondering how well he looks after them in keeping them rounded.

Rich102

Staff member

I think it more likely that Mannering moves back to lock and Lillyman comes into the second row - where he started and played badly.

I would be bringing Ta'ai in.

ozbash

Referee

agree, Watmough is a hard bastard with a bit of honour involved as well.

freak accident.

ToiletDuck

Juniors
I wouldn't mind seeing Ta'ai get a start.

Is it just me or is he not running on the fringes as much as he was in early rounds.

Martli

Coach
Lillyman covered Lock in the absence of Luck earlier this year, but I agree with putting Mannering there with a starting back row of Ta'ai and Brown if fit.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
If I recall correctly, we leaked a lot of points, when Luck was out last time.

I hope everyone steps up in the tackling dept. against the Broncos.