What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlucky?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, he's somehow arguing that a club having more other vague financial resources to spend than another club somehow is more linked to on field performance than the quality of effort of the players and coach on a given day...

But despite banging on for years he's given no robust evidence to back that one up.
I would say a club not winning a comp for nearly 38 years is pretty good evidence that we have some bigger problems than our coaching. If someone else other than Pou was making that point I doubt you’d disagree. It’s fairly self evident.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I suppose when you have a 7 min drive to work you can afford to take a paycut here and there and earn less.

Spending less on fuel, not using tolls, he can duck home for a quick snack and a toilet break during work hours.

Its a dream job.
Surely he has a company car and Sivo is his driver?

the phantom menace

First Grade
If someone else other than Pou was making that point I doubt you’d disagree. It’s fairly self evident.
I would disagree with anyone other than Pou looking to contrarily excuse and disappear away current poor on field performance and coaching with the generic reason of us somehow being (unsubstantiated) labelled a poorly resourced club.

The fact Pou is making it part of his forum clown routine just makes me enjoy disagreeing with it more 😎

Happy MEel

First Grade
I would say a club not winning a comp for nearly 38 years is pretty good evidence that we have some bigger problems than our coaching. If someone else other than Pou was making that point I doubt you’d disagree. It’s fairly self evident.
The thing is though, I don’t see anyone on here saying we need to keep the board, r&r committee, roster etc. In fact it’s the complete opposite. The vast majority want a complete overhaul (which includes the coaching staff). The reason BA seems to be the focus is that there a few merkins who persist on defending him and the board for not pulling the trigger. He has been a focus this week in particular as it seems there was a chance we could have nabbed a genuine better option but our nuffy board declined. IMO, that decision alone will set us back another 3 years.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The thing is though, I don’t see anyone on here saying we need to keep the board, r&r committee, roster etc. In fact it’s the complete opposite. The vast majority want a complete overhaul (which includes the coaching staff). The reason BA seems to be the focus is that there a few merkins who persist on defending him and the board for not pulling the trigger. He has been a focus this week in particular as it seems there was a chance we could have nabbed a genuine better option but our nuffy board declined. IMO, that decision alone will set us back another 3 years.
Yeah. Not sure why we wouldn’t be chasing Bennett, but don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe he’s privately indicated he isn’t interested?

If Bernie was still here Bennett would be swimming in cocaine and strippers.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yeah. Not sure why we wouldn’t be chasing Bennett, but don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe he’s privately indicated he isn’t interested?

If Bernie was still here Bennett would be swimming in cocaine and strippers.
That’s just it. I reckon you’re 100% spot on. Instead we have a board too piss weak to make a hard decision on a coach who seems incapable of getting us out of the shit storm we find ourselves in.

There has to be a circuit breaker somewhere. Is it the board who I would call professionally negligent, is it the HoF who is way out of his depth, is it the coach who has reached his ceiling at our club and that’s not good enough or is it the overpaid useless pricks on our roster. This all needs addressing but there needs to be change somewhere in order for this to all eventuate. Our near enough is good enough culture though, allows the same mediocrity to continue. Well you know what, to us fans, near enough is nowhere near good enough.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I would disagree with anyone other than Pou looking to contrarily excuse and disappear away current poor on field performance and coaching with the generic reason of us somehow being (unsubstantiated) labelled a poorly resourced club.

The fact Pou is making it part of his forum clown routine just makes me enjoy disagreeing with it more 😎
Why do you think we haven't won a comp in 38 years?

the phantom menace

First Grade
"Resources" of course, lol. Or being "unlucky", rofl.

No, I think it's due to poor performance - players and coaching - when it counted and the clear opportunities were there (2001, 2005, 2009, 2022...). But also the lack of being in a position to have those opportunities has been due to poor performance in the "governance" levels (for want of a better word) in the football side of the club across many many years - talent identification, recruitment and retention, succession planning - and then on top of that having the coaching and player leadership present to mould those factors to their ultimate potential.

hindy111

Post Whore

Well we could of in 1998, 2001, 2005,2009. I don't think we've had a genuine chance since. Yeah we made the grand final in 2002 but we where never a chance. We where just the lucky club to get to play Penrith. Most sides in the top 8 where a similar level as our side. Roosters and Souths just had heaps of injuries as did the Storm.
Nobody was beating Penrith in 2022

T-Boon

Coach
Obviously it's players that ultimately matter. More than coaching or luck. But the way to accumulate the greatest amount of playing talent is resourcing, which gives some clubs benefits outside the cap compared to others. Resources are also how clubs acquire the best/most coaching staff, along with all the staff that enables superior recruitment/retention right down to pathways level.
I’ve said for a while we should abandon the Darwin game and take it to Moore Park (in conjunction with doing other things around the Sydney CBD). We should be trying to become Sydney’s biggest club.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Yeah “resources” lol…and then you go on to neatly describe lack of resources across talent, management, coaching and player leadership.

One of your best.
I neatly described and emphasised the impact of poor performance - among players, coaches and "governors" within the club.

How that tallies with some vague concept of "resources" as spouted by Pou when defending whatever status quo we've had at various times ad infinitum, you'll have to enlighten me.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I neatly described and emphasised the impact of poor performance - among players, coaches and "governors" within the club.

How that tallies with some vague concept of "resources" as spouted by Pou when defending whatever status quo we've had at various times ad infinitum, you'll have to enlighten me.
So we’ve had the right resources for 38 years - they’ve just all consistently underperformed?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah “resources” lol…and then you go on to neatly describe lack of resources across talent, management, coaching and player leadership.

One of your best.
Poor performing humans are a less valuable resource than high performers. The market tends to agree, especially across 38 years. Nearly four decades will flatten out a lot of the luck involved in jagging better or worse performers relative to your resourcing.

WhY dO wE kEeP gEtTiNg AlL tHeSe PoOr PeRfOrMeRs?!?? iT cAn'T bE rEsOuRcEs Or LuCk!!! lolrofl