What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uruguay side

skeepe

Immortal
Uruguay minus Forlan
SBS

Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati has named his starting side to face Australia in their World Cup qualifying play-off first leg in Montevideo this Saturday (Sunday morning AEDT).

Villarreal striker, and last season's Spanish Primera Liga top goalscorer, Diego Forlan has succumbed to injury and is the biggest name to miss out.

Fossati has replaced the former Manchester United star with the equally attack-minded Dario Silva, who currently plies his trade in the English Premier League with Portsmouth and terrorised the Socceroos' defence with his pace four years ago.

The line-up is strong, and made up entirely of players who play their club football abroad.

Former Inter Milan goalkeeper, now of Cagliari, Fabio Carini will be guarding Uruguay’s goal, and helping him in the resistance department is veteran defender Paolo Montero, Real Madrid fullback Carlos Diogo and his club teammate and midfield anchor, Pablo Garcia.

Up front, Fossati has named three recognised strikers in Silva, Marcelo Zalayeta of Juventus and Malaga's Richard Morales, as well as Inter Milan dangerman Alvaro Recoba, who will be given a licence to roam in midfield.

Uruguay team is:

Fabian Carini (Cagliari/Ita)
Carlos Diogo (Real Madrid/Spa)
Diego Lopez (Cagliari/Ita)
Paolo Montero (San Lorenzo/Arg)
Dario Rodriguez (Schalke 04/Ger)
Pablo Garcia (Real Madrid/Spa)
Diego Perez (Monaco/Fra)
Alvaro Recoba (Inter Milan/Ita)
Marcelo Zalayeta (Juventus/Ita)
Dario Silva (Portsmouth/Eng)
Richard Morales (Malaga/Spa)

http://www1.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=65218

skeepe

Immortal
Dario Silva has been really down on form for Portsmouth at the moment, couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo.

eagle_eye

Juniors
I'm hoping there will be a large crowd to give them a nice welcome when they arrive in sydney, just like they did to us...

skeepe

Immortal
Up until the weekends match against Wigan he hadn't looked any better than an average Championship player at best, imo. Even then he was quiet.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Good, haven't watched any of the Premiership this year. It seems to get more boring as each year passes. I'd prefer to watch an A-League match than that predictable dross, sorry, getting off subject.

skeepe

Immortal
You're saying that Wigan being only a few points behind Chelsea and having a better defensive record is predictable?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
nibbs said:
looks like a strong side to me, too strong for australia i'd be guessing

Only one player in the EPL in that line-up, so you'd have ZERO idea.

Go back with your 10 mates watching the NZ Knights get flogged again.

why do people think the EPL is the be all and end all of football? theyve got 4 in italy, 3 in spain and 1 in germany and france and argentina...

skeepe

Immortal
I suppose because it's the competition that gets most exposure over here.

When you consider there are 4 players from Real Madrid, Juventus and Internazionale, it's a damn strong line-up.

That's what I was thinking. It's scary when you look at the clubs they play at. But hey we have a 'keeper from AC Milan...if that helps.
It's annoying that T and T and Bahrain are playing in another play-off, I think we could beat both those sides.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Zalayeta has barely played this season I'm sure Hybrid Tiger will correct me otherwise), so that works in our favour. As to Wigan, it usually takes till about Christmas for the weaker teams to drop, I'll gladly be proven wrong. Saying that, I hate Wigan.

yeh zalayeta hasnt been playing much but i don't think it will matter, and being second to dida in anyside means very very limited playing time oppurtunities

nibbs

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
Only one player in the EPL in that line-up, so you'd have ZERO idea.

Go back with your 10 mates watching the NZ Knights get flogged again.

i watch la liga to, hybrid. which means i watch the best 2 leagues in the world, ffs

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Zalayeta has barely played this season I'm sure Hybrid Tiger will correct me otherwise), so that works in our favour. As to Wigan, it usually takes till about Christmas for the weaker teams to drop, I'll gladly be proven wrong. Saying that, I hate Wigan.

Zalayeta hasn't had much game time, but is a real danger.

IMO he is the main danger after Recoba.

BTW, Forlan is playing.

Latest posts