What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I'm not signing anything until i know it's league and not union. DaBulls, can you confirm either way?

Y2Eel

First Grade
Wouldnt the NRL here have the rights to the name "National Rugby league" ?

roopy

Referee
The Union comp in America is called the Rugby Super League and Dabulls is associated with the Glen Mills Bulls (or whatever their new name is) - so it looks like this should be a League initative.

If we are talking about some players getting a few dollars, it is a positive step.

deluded pom?

Coach
I was going to ask Steve Grant at the Eagles if he knew anything about this but he's already posted a thread on their forum confirming this initiative. It's supposed to be for the 2010 season.

roopy

Referee
The Americans are always thinking big.
So far they have always shot for 10 steps forward and ended up taking one - but someday the big plans will work.

***MH***

Bench
It will take a few big Australian stars to sign over for any professional league to kick off in America.

roughyedspud

Coach
do you think anyone in america knows who darren lockyer is??

hell if david beckham can't kick start football in american...lockyer has f**ks chance :lol:

We've heard about an idea for a pro league over there for a long time. Always big plans that haven't progressed beyond some pie in the sky thinking. I hope this time it's for real. But I won't be holding my breath. It's very much a watch this space situation.

I remember back around the time of the USRL, around 2000, there was a plan to sell eight franchises and run a league of two conferences with each team playing the teams in their conference twice and the other teams once, plus finals. Or something like that. The idea was to have a salary cap type deal where each club was allowed to sign X number of marquee players who would be paid the top salary (something like $100k) with Y number of players getting the next rate and so on. Basically the best three or four players were going to be on good money, a few more would be semi -pro but earning good match fees and the rest would be semi-pro but wouldn't get much. THey were going to target NRL players for the top spots and pretty much make up the rest with union players, American footballers, athletes and USRL players. The whole thing was estimated to cost $15m per franchise, which seems like a lot, and they budgeted for crowds of 10k plus. The whole thing was going to be bankrolled by a TV deal and the club owners. They even had eight names for the franchises, Crusaders was one but I can't remember the rest. Anyway, needless to say it never happened and any talk of a pro league since has gone the same way.

It'd be bloody good though. We really need more pro leagues, even semi-pro, around the world. Sure, the best players would still be Aussies and Kiwis but it would be bound to produce some good American players and a stronger Tomahawks team overall.

deluded pom?

Coach
It'd be bloody good though. We really need more pro leagues, even semi-pro, around the world. Sure, the best players would still be Aussies and Kiwis but it would be bound to produce some good American players and a stronger Tomahawks team overall.

I couldn't agree more ECT.

nadera78

Juniors
They would need to have someone seriously loaded backing this for it to work, but you never know.

If it did happen then one positive might be that instead of signing NRL reserves / Qld Cup type players they might go for some Pacific Islanders or East Europeans because; they would be a lot cheaper, they would still be better than US union converts, they would give a strong, league-savy, backbone to the clubs.

It would mean that more RL players from small, relatively poor countries could earn a living from the game, those national teams would benefit from having an increased pool of full-time pro athletes, and the US national team would improve leaps and bounds in a very short space of time by having guys playing and training daily with experienced players.

I don't see it coming off but it would be awsome if did.

joshreading

Staff member
I am wondering whether this will actually be more like a step up 'semi pro' comp - inspired from the Jax camp. It is clear that many in the present league cannot keep up with Jax and that is fine but clear leaders like Jax will need to be part of a higher level league.

Spinner has said there was Cable interest in RL and they certainly have captured the attention of Jacksonville, so you never know. I was told some time ago they had a working comittee of sporting identities and business guys working on a proposal for such.

The reality is that IF done right RL has some key contacts that could help it skyrocket in the USA. It would be a perfect 'filler' for the american football off season. Fast, aggressive yet still simple. All in all a cheap 'product'

Latest posts