What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Haha cool, more excuses for the media to beat up the NRL when the US comp starts poaching top line players.

Can't wait to find out what's happening, I just hope it's not another false dawn for RL.

Chicago Saints

Juniors
Anybody got the inside track on which cities are frontrunners for franchises. Would have thought the Knights, Axemen, Wildcats, New Haven, Philly were shoe-ins?

deluded pom?

Coach
Anybody got the inside track on which cities are frontrunners for franchises. Would have thought the Knights, Axemen, Wildcats, New Haven, Philly were shoe-ins?

It's not just a case of choosing from the current AMNRL teams though. Some of these teams might not be ready or might be unwilling to commit themselves yet. I doubt many of the AMNRL teams have the capability to become pro teams virtually overnight. It might seem like a fair way off but it's not that far away.

joshreading

Staff member
There has to be some sort of funding coming from somewhere. The only club that seems to have the chance of presently stepping up to any sort of semi pro status is the Jax Axe as it stands.

Fairfax has been invited to put in an application, there has to be something else backing this up.

Da Bulls - Is the idea to also make a number of teams 'shareholders' or feeders? eg. The Bulls and the Fight/New York and Conneticut etc.

krudmonk

Juniors
If this is another east coast affair, color me uninterested. I'd still be watching RL from thousands of miles away.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I've been thinking about this for the last few days and trying to work out where things are headed and these are some of the issues I've thought about-

8 teams: 8 teams is about 150 players for a pro comp. Throw in the fact that the original AMNRL teams are still all going to exist and you've got 120-odd players that need to be found before the start of this competition. In the best interests of the American game you would want as many Americans playing as possible but with the lack of training facilities and training systems in place for League in America it's going to be a lot easier to bring in second rate Australians, Kiwis and Pac Islanders than it is to fill the teams with American talent, most of which will probably be sourced from the American Union comps. When I thought it was just the AMNRL teams going semi-pro I figured they'd want to set a strict import quota to build the local game but with all the extra teams that option might not fly.

Expectations: What are the expectations for the various interested parties? Personally I was thinking that the best thing would be to go for a semi-pro comp with completely professional clubs but semi-pro players. That would mean solid, professional off-field systems and infrastructure that would allow for facility development, good sponsor relationships to be formed, the import of professional trainers and coaches which are desperately needed for any developing comp and just generally getting the comp onto its feet and building the grass roots of the game more so than trying to generate headlines. With semi-pro players the wages would be lower but you would avoid the journeyman imports after an easy pay packet and instead reward the American players who would benefit by having all their expenses/insurance/travel costs/etc paid (unlike now) while getting a wage top up that would especially help during these difficult financial times. It wouldn't be a whizz bang spectacle but I just can't see the 'all guns blazing' approach to starting up a comp actually working in the long term, especially considering how small and concentrated the sport is. Will more viewers tune in because of imports playing at a higher level or would the lower key approach work just as well for a lot less money?
However, with the news that there will be 8 new teams on top of the established ones, and logically some larger vested interests than I expected, I doubt low key is what they're after.

Support: In competition terms the AMNRL is pretty young and highly concentrated to the East coast, especially the north-east. Do they have the required support and presence to build a pro comp? No doubt most of the money would come from tv or some other larger sponsorship deal but you're still going to need the punters there to a)watch on tv and b)support the teams by showing up to games, getting involved, etc. The only way to get enough presence to be established in a larger market would be to get Russel Crowe back on board. Or am I underestimating just how much money is getting involved or overestimating how much support a sports comp needs in America to "go pro"?

Tomahawks: New world power of League? Up until recently the professional ranks of League had 2 power bases- England/Europe via the Superleague and Australia/NZ via the NRL. Russia doesn't really count because it's so insular which means that we may just have a new 3rd axis to professional League. Canada and Jamaica could be the NZ Warriors/Catalan Dragons/Celtic Crusaders of the USNRL and the Tomahawks may become the new up-and-comers for the 2013 WC campaign. Who knows but it has to be good for League. With the Middle East and South Africa taking off all we need now is a base in Asia...

Those are just a few thoughts. I've got more but they'll probably be completely out of date by the time new info comes to light so I might keep my powder dry ;-)

krudmonk

Juniors
You raise some good points. The population and distinct markets of the United States makes it potentially deadly to both rugby codes overseas. We have about a million more people than Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, South Africa, Argentina, Italy, France, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland combined. That's pretty much the rugby world. Toss in Canada, our cultural comrades and a stronger rugby [union] nation, and the gap is about 35 million people

In the soccer world, MLS is a runt (but I still love it). The salary cap is just over 2 million. That allows for teams to work with young, unproven guys and also to raid poorer nations in Africa in South America. Other leagues are simply too far ahead right now. MLS did not start at such a point, but it's there after just 14 seasons.

If that type of money was put into assembling 8 rosters in rugby, this new comp could easily start luring much bigger names in both league and union. The purchasing power is practically quadrupled. This is already a drain on [superior] Southern Hemisphere talent in both codes, so another pull on the talent pool could be devastating.

Hopefully, importing top foreign talent would only be a stop-gap solution. Developing players here would not be done overnight, though. The effect on clubs/regions/provinces worldwide could be drastic.

joshreading

Staff member
I have a feeling it will be eastern based which is slightly inevitable but it would be good to atleast get a western element. Maybe a Texas based club?

I think the mention of Crowe is key though, if you invited Crowe and say Lachlan Murdoch on board as board members or honorary members etc. it would help immensely. Profile and connections will go along way. You only have to look at Souths going to the US to see what it could whip u.

I am assuming that the teams are not settled yet as they are still after applications. I do wonder who it will be

Last edited:

shaggy

Juniors
What he means is that all the Japanese RU clubs are owned and operated as part of a large company that isn't focused on sport as a core business -- there's teams that are part of Yamaha, Toyota, Thoshiba, IBM, etc. etc.

It's basically like playing touch footy for your company at the Corporate games but obviously with more money involved...

What he said, kinda like the baseball players working at the nuclear power plant to play in the poweplant softball team in that episode

but consdering that the us is having its worst financial crisis since the depression with tent cities everywhere, where is this money coming from is what i want to know

joshreading

Staff member
Thinking about the net address. I don't think it is particularly good. nrlusa.com is a union website for a potential pro Union comp (which has been around forever) Using a dash is also a bad idea.

The best easy option maybe the present address with a significant change

The Australian NRL will not relinquish the nrl.com BUT maybe there are other better options. I guess they might be able to come to an agreement to put a link on the NRL site.

roopy

Referee
Travel costs in America would be pretty low compared to other countries.
Even in Australia some very minor sports like womens basketball, netball and womens soccer have national competitions where they travel thousands of miles, and budget air travel in America is much more common than in Australia.

thommo4pm

Coach
The league will be nationwide. 8 teams from L.A. to N.Y.

hahaha....you are teasing us badly here, with small details being filtered out. :D

can't wait to see the whole story....and I tell you what I really hope it takes off, even if it means we lose some of the stars from here in the NRL to go and play in the USA.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Apologies, this is a long post, but typing it out helps me to get my thoughts ordered...

Stumbled across something really interesting. Was trying to prove to a mate that there was once a wrestling themed gridiron competition (it ended up being the XFL that lasted for one season) when I stumbled across this on the American football wiki site: there is no less than 4 different professional gridiron leagues being set up to start in the next 2 years :shock:. Fair dinkum. What's in the water over there at the moment cause everyone seems to want to start their own professional sporting competition.

The most interesting thing though is that they're all being delayed to see how the credit crunch plays out, some of them being delayed 2 or 3 times so far. They also had a lot of figures as to start up costs etc with owners splashing around about $30 million each for the privelage of a half share in their very own team which I suppose explains why they're so cagey about the financial risks. However, if we consider that the NRL has a salary cap of about $4 million for the best players in the world it should be reasonable to suggest that a new American League comp can get away with much less.

Say the new American comp had a cap of $800,000, you're still talking about a decent salary in world League terms. Throw in operating expenses, travel costs etc and I'm guessing around $3 million a year could get you a decent team going after anything you spend on infrastructure. With figures that low, and an 8 team comp, you'd be looking for $25 million a year for the comp, a figure that's probably chicken feed by American standards, especially when you consider the American pro soccer teams ask for a minimum $500,000 for a shirt sponsor. Get decent sponsorship, a tv deal and an okay amount of crowd support and we have a decent little comp.

Couple of disturbing issues from the wiki pages though: there was a bit of talk about trying to make the gridiron franchises 'more permanent'. Seems the teams get moved so often in America that they're trying to come up with ways to tie them to the community with shareholder agreements and schemes where every team is owned by the central governing body so that they can control what goes on. They also have a fair amount of problems with stadiums. From the sounds of it they go around and lock in the stadiums before giving franchises just so that they know the franchise wont have to be moved on after a few years. Disturbing, extraordinary stuff.

(Side note- the weirdest comp was the 'All American' one where you HAVE to have a 4 year degree to play. No joke, completely fair dinkum; if you're not a uni graduate you can't play. Apparently it's supposed to encourage people to get educated but from the team list etc it sounded down right elitist, like the upper classes wanted their own 'civilised' football competition or something. Truly bizarre)

As for teams, they seem to be set up the same way that the League is going- a lot of the time they just stick pins in a map, see if a stadium is available, then go and find someone who wants to chip in the money. It's a bit alien to anyone from the rest of the world but if that's how Americans set up sporting competitions.... who are we to judge.

Just for comparision I also went and wikied the soccer comp over there which also had some interesting notes on its early expansion. Apparently they started with a lot of foreign players (Pele etc) but the American public never took to it. It wasn't until the foreign players all moved on and gave some room fora few exciting young American stars to come through that the league began to get some notice and credibility which they capitalised on by winning through to the semis of the World Cup. The other major factor is the use of soccer-specific stadiums. Apparently teams were really struggling to draw crowds until they began making stadiums that were built specifically for soccer, at which point crowds stabilised and they're now starting to become profitable.

One thing I thought about was whether League could capitalise on the creation of these new stadiums. Would soccer fields be better than gridiron fileds for League? If so the soccer boys are paving the way as there's quite a few going up, including the impending DC and New York fields.

Pay tv also plays a big part across both sports which I suppose was fairly obvious.

Having read this stuff I think League will really benefit from the fact that it is a unique sport, so, unlike the new gridiron competitions, they wont be in direct competition with anyone else. I also think, like the soccer, the international factor needs to be leveraged right with plenty of homegrown talent built up which then can be turned into international success rather than heaps of internationals to build quality play that the audience just doesn't care about. Soccer leads the way in this respect with money being forced into the creation of second division comps to develop home grown talent and imports restricted to one or two marquee players (like Beckham for the Galaxy).

I still believe in a lower salary cap to build up local talent rather than imports (something that may take time with the low participation rates in America) and a lot of the money going into grass roots development, especially if games are being played in places like Los Angeles where there is no real grass roots development to back up the first grade team. All these other comps are starting with a solid base of players whereas we're starting from scratch in places like the West Coast. That will be the biggest risk to the long-term success of the comp.

Also, if there are team owners of any kind, they're going to want to own their teams for the love of the game. Ideally I'd prefer a community owned club-based system but if their are owners they really shouldn't be expecting big results quickly. Soccer has two profitable teams after 15 years of competition and they have seen several fall by the wayside. It will be a constant temptation to use the massive financial resource to go for the biggest and best to win comps and whatever but I really think the new administrators will have to be salary cap nazis looking to the long term good rather than short term headlines.

And I really dont know about the expansion into areas that haven't even heard of League before. I hope they don't care about crowd support because it's gonna be a struggle to get exposure without any previous community links. Even the east coast is gonna be difficult let alone elsewhere. Here, overseas, it seems that professional comps grow out of grass roots support that gets to the point that there's the ability to professionalise, rather than the American model which seems to work the opposite direction with a belief in top down, "build it and they will come" franchises. That might work when you've got unis pumping out battle hardened athletes to feed the system but what about a sport where you're building things from outside the college system? In this we have an opportunity to reach a part of America that has probably been left behind, the working-class communities that dont have a college team or a college culture for that matter, but that sort of growth takes time. Franchises are businesses which is great if you're a rich business that can buy credibility but what about a smaller business that moves into town? They're gonna need some good old fashioned Time to settle in and that's the only way I can see League being successful. Will the franchises be willing to spend the time?

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that I'm hoping for a club-based league rather than owner operated franchises. Any possibility of this being the case?

Latest posts