What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA - How can USA compete vs Australia?

How much will Australia win by?

• 160+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 150+

• 140+

• 130+

• 120+

• 110+

• 0-109

• Total voters

nickdraperfto

Juniors
bender said:
In answer to the original question of how can the Tomahawkes compete with the Kangaroos:

What about if the Kangaroos donated 5 of their better players to the USA tomahawks team. Say, for example - Gordon Tallis, Brad Fittler, Luke Ricketson, Shane Webcke, Andrew Johns. It might help the USA be semi competive and give some of their better younger players some fundamental schooling in the basics of the game. THere is no better way to learn a sport than by playing with greats.

But then it wont be a test

roopy

Referee
Tomahawk said:
Roopy;

Clint may be the best player. However, it will be a great day for RL whether he plays for the Tomahawks or not. All us fans must just get over Clint not being able to play. Lets talk about things that will happen.

Tomahawk
Fair enough.
As a Newcastle fan and a fan of American League I'm pretty angry about how Clint has been crucified though.
His high shot on Sims was a nasty incident, but he has effectively been given the harshest suspension handed out in years for what most agree was not the worst incident of the season by a long shot.
I believe they went extra hard on Newton because all his friends and family went to the media to call for a lenient sentence for him being a 'good character' player - and it is indisputable that he is a real gentleman who went out of his way to apologise for his actions and check up on Sims as soon as possible.

The judiciary are involved in a pissing contest to prove they can't be influenced by outside factors such as a media campaign to get a player treated leniently - so Newton, Newcastle, USA and the very game itself have now been given the rough end of the pineapple so these guys can look tough.

carlnz

Bench
nickdraperfto said:
bender said:
In answer to the original question of how can the Tomahawkes compete with the Kangaroos:

What about if the Kangaroos donated 5 of their better players to the USA tomahawks team. Say, for example - Gordon Tallis, Brad Fittler, Luke Ricketson, Shane Webcke, Andrew Johns. It might help the USA be semi competive and give some of their better younger players some fundamental schooling in the basics of the game. THere is no better way to learn a sport than by playing with greats.

But then it wont be a test

USA dont have Test Stats

MRLA

Juniors
MRLA said:
thescrum.co.uk said:
It would be much better for them to be playing the likes of Wales or France. maybe send over the Greek or Italian sides. it will be a much closer contest...
Does Malta VS USA sound more like your treat?
The USA unfortunately won't be coming down-under in 2005...therefore ruling out the proposed Malta-USA fixture.

Front-Rower

First Grade
dimitri said:
the nrl should have let him play

one test match to help develop league in usa is more important than a stupid domestic suspension

Right. A bloke DELIBERATLY takes out another player and you want him to play in a mickey mouse game.

You do the crime you do the time. What sort of precident do you want to set within the game?

You let him play the media will have a field day and the game will go further down the drain.

Go_The_Sharks

Juniors
Front-Rower said:
dimitri said:
the nrl should have let him play

one test match to help develop league in usa is more important than a stupid domestic suspension

Right. A bloke DELIBERATLY takes out another player and you want him to play in a mickey mouse game.

You do the crime you do the time. What sort of precident do you want to set within the game?

You let him play the media will have a field day and the game will go further down the drain.

Thats right, they can't let him play when he's suspended. They either suspend him or they don't.

drinkin'

Juniors
For Clint at least the suspention counts towards the NRL, and if the US expects to be taked seriously they must stop b*tching (not to imply anybody here is) and get over it. The AMNRL made the right decision and I'm sure soon enough that you will see him as CAPT of the tomahawks.

roopy

Referee
Clint was shit on from a great height in getting the toughest sentence handed down in years - and the reason he got it was because all his friends and family went to the press and got a lot of articles printed about what a good bloke he is - so the judiciary came down super hard to prove they can't be influenced.

The upshot is - league shoots itself in the foot again. Clint would be the perfect 'face' of league for America - son of a sportsman who is famous in America - former boyfriend of Miss Universe - nice guy who no one has a bad word to say about - not even the guy he elbowed - good looking kid - born in America - plays the game hard but fair. Everything about him is perfect for promoting the game in america - and if he was a potential Australian captain like Gordon Tallis or someone he would have got maybe 3 or 4 weeks tops.

Front-Rower

First Grade
roopy said:
Clint was sh*t on from a great height in getting the toughest sentence handed down in years - and the reason he got it was because all his friends and family went to the press and got a lot of articles printed about what a good bloke he is - so the judiciary came down super hard to prove they can't be influenced.

The upshot is - league shoots itself in the foot again. Clint would be the perfect 'face' of league for America - son of a sportsman who is famous in America - former boyfriend of Miss Universe - nice guy who no one has a bad word to say about - not even the guy he elbowed - good looking kid - born in America - plays the game hard but fair. Everything about him is perfect for promoting the game in america - and if he was a potential Australian captain like Gordon Tallis or someone he would have got maybe 3 or 4 weeks tops.

And I bet you think Ricketson should of been let off aswell :roll:

roopy

Referee
Front-Rower said:
roopy said:
Clint was sh*t on from a great height in getting the toughest sentence handed down in years - and the reason he got it was because all his friends and family went to the press and got a lot of articles printed about what a good bloke he is - so the judiciary came down super hard to prove they can't be influenced.

and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle - the two cases have nothing to do with each other.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
roopy said:
plays the game hard but fair. .

hard but fair does not involve lining up a guy from several metres away and charging in with a raised forearm..... I dont care whether he was born in america or antartica he deserved to go for that period of time. the fact you insist this is an nrl conspiracy is ridiculous......

Front-Rower

First Grade
roopy said:
Front-Rower said:
roopy said:

and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle - the two cases have nothing to do with each other.

Have nothing to do with each other :eek: . Both guys lined up a bloke and took them out. With your line of thinking on allowing Newtown to play in this game would be the same line of thinking that would of allowed Ricketson to play in the Grand Final.

Anonymous

Juniors
I guess if Newton wanted to play in this game he shouldn't have smashed a bloke in the face. Simple as that.

Tomahawk

Staff member
TheElectricHorseman;

There is alot of patriotic marketing that is being done. The prematch came will be between the Kugi Dolphins (sorry mispelled) vs the Glen Mills Bulls in what I think they are going to call the Liberty Match. This will be a rememberence game for the Doliphin players that died in the bombing, and the victems that died at the world trade center 9/11. There may be a native philly singer coming home to sing the US national anthem. Thier were be a marien unit marching that has had 3 of it members die in Irac, and they will provide a color gaurd. And you might see Miss World there also in support of her Australian Kangaroo's.

There are things in the works to have several different celberties in sports/Music/and Hollywood. Also there will be several different Ausstralian and American guest.

Finally a piece that will make many happy. The NRL is rethinking the Clint Newton suspension. I personally do not think he should be able to play. However, Clint may be the Tomahawk captain. He may even play.

Tomahawk

girvie

Staff member
From foxsports

Yank sizes up Webcke
By Jim Morton
November 5, 2004

AMERICAN Ian Blake has left his helmet and gridiron suit of armour back home to make a name for himself in rugby league.

Brisbane-based Blake, 22, is set to make an unusual first impression on new Broncos club-mate Shane Webcke this month when he lines up for the United States in an historic clash against Australia.

The 188cm, 106kg second-rower has been selected in the American squad for the international at Philadelphia's Franklin Field on November 30.

It comes after the former schoolboy gridiron star enjoyed an impressive debut season in the Queensland Tertiaries competition to represent Australia and catch the eye of Broncos talent scouts.

Blake has just begun training with the club after registering with Brisbane's feeder team Toowoomba which plays in the Queensland Cup.

"There's no guarantees or promises but it's an opportunity and what I want to do," the business student said. "It's a big transition."

Despite earlier giving up gridiron at college to play rugby union, he can't escape his American football roots as he lives with the nickname "Angry Linebacker".

This year's change from a union back to workhorse league forward, as a result of watching the NRL on television, has surprised Blake's family and friends back home in Austin, Texas.

"They think I'm pretty crazy to do something like this," said the American, who arrived in Brisbane two years ago.

"But they get a kick out of it because they see it as a novelty."

Blake is more than happy to be free of the restrictive jumbo-sized shoulder padding and helmet required in gridiron.

"The helmets also act as blinders and you get dazed virtually every hit but in league you can get ready for each hit," he said.

"In league there's a bit more technique in the tackle.

"The collisions and the body contact are both physical and enjoyable."

However, Blake's under no illusions that any potential collision with Kangaroos prop Webcke in the one-off Test will be much fun.

"I don't think I'd really come off too well on that one," he said.

"He'll try to smash me but I'll give it my best anyway."

Eelectrica

Referee
I hope they let Newton play. I don't think it will diminish the effect of his suspension at all and will be good for the game.

Latest posts