What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usman Khawaja

Eddie.

Bench
Having played with him at Randy Petes for years im not at all surprised by what he is doing. Right from when he was making first grade hundreds at 17 he had the temprement and technique to stand up to anything.

He keeps getting better year after year. Savage against the short ball, always has been. He will play for Australia in test cricket, no doubt. By the end of this season wouldn't surprise me if he is the outstanding candidate as a reserve batsman for an away tour, ahead of the likes of Hughes.

munge

Juniors
Ive played against most of the NSW young players 19-23 and I think Khawaja is the best bat out of all of them by a country mile, including Warner, Henriques or Hughes (although i guess hughes never looks great).

I reckon hes a sure thing for every level of the game.

HevyDevy

Coach
Maybe the selectors can pick him for a handful of Tests then dump him for no apparent reason while allowing others that have been struggling for 2 years to remain untouched ...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Just about the most perfect left hand batting technique I've ever seen.

AB just described him as a left handed Tendulker.

Only 22 and has a first class average of 41 and a highest score of 172.

This kid is gonna be something.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausdomestic-09/content/current/player/215155.html
Only 22? Tendulkar was torching international attacks at 16/17.

Im not sure if it points more to Sachin's genius or Australia's inability/refusal to see really youing players step onto the international scene.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Only 22? Tendulkar was torching international attacks at 16/17.

Im not sure if it points more to Sachin's genius or Australia's inability/refusal to see really youing players step onto the international scene.
A bit of both mate, look what they did to Hughes after a great start to his career, and Tendulkar was a freak.

aussies1st

Staff member
Khawaja wasn't even playing 2nd 11 for NSW at 16. How on earth is he meant to make the Aussie side? Our domestic structure rarely gets players who are 15 or 16 in FC, and the selectors will very rarely take a under 20 yo.

aqua_duck

Coach
the sub continental teams often blood ridiculously young players and you never hear of those guys again. Anyone remember Hassan Raza?
Besides alot of those countries are infamous for having dodgy birth certificates

African Monkey

First Grade
the sub continental teams often blood ridiculously young players and you never hear of those guys again. Anyone remember Hassan Raza?
Besides alot of those countries are infamous for having dodgy birth certificates
Tbf to Raza, he does have a very good FC record and probably deserves another go in the side but I think he signed for the ICL last year.

aqua_duck

Coach
point remains the bloke made his test debut at 14, which is ridiculous and 13 years on has played 7 tests.
Salman Butt test debut at 18, 7 years on averages less than Mitchell Johnson with the bat.
Abdur Razzaq, test debut at 19 played his last test at 27.
When you look at the Pakistan team their best batsmen, Younus Khan and Mohamad Youssuf both made their test debuts relatively late and have had long and distinguished careers.

aussies1st

Staff member
Wow never knew that. No way a player should be playing Test cricket that young. Not even the great Tendulkar managed that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Javed was a success story, didn't he debut at 18 or something ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I reckon Khawaja wold be a good replacement for Punter if he is out of the boxing day test

No doubt there are alot more deserving players with good first class records but most are approaching or over 30.

Khawaja would be good enough in my opinion but we probably wont see him in the Aussie team for another 5 years or so.

I cant see Hughes getting another run on current form.

I think Smith could be a smokie, he could bat at 6 and it would give us 2 spinners, assuming you refer to Hauri as a spinner, although that might be better suited to the SCG rather than the MCG..

aussies1st

Staff member
Selectors will never go for it though. Mitch Marsh is another that wouldn't look out of place.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I reckon Khawaja wold be a good replacement for Punter if he is out of the boxing day test

No doubt there are alot more deserving players with good first class records but most are approaching or over 30.

Khawaja would be good enough in my opinion but we probably wont see him in the Aussie team for another 5 years or so.

I cant see Hughes getting another run on current form.

I think Smith could be a smokie, he could bat at 6 and it would give us 2 spinners, assuming you refer to Hauri as a spinner, although that might be better suited to the SCG rather than the MCG..

The hundred today maybe a turning point but they won't pick him because he may leave egg on their faces and getting a big score.. Given the next test is at the MCG I am pretty sure they will try to slot in someone like Dave Hussey.

Latest posts