What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utah defects back to AMNRL

joshreading

Staff member
http://www.facebook.com/UtahRugby

Interesting move, I presume that it is largely to do with Tomohawk representation. As probably the strongest of the western developments (except maybe OC Outlaws) they are a key catch. I wonder whether they can still play Denver or whether this becomes the trump card to call them back to the AMNRL. Either way, the actions of the AMNRL has so far been deplorable.

I know there is a Utah guy on here, I would like to hear your reasoning and response to the entirely unprofessional nature of the AMNRL leadership lately.

druzik

Juniors
The denver game was cancelled before the announcement as well. From what I hear the AMNRL have promised several teams to tour over to Utah and give them games... not sure who will go though?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This is all an absolute joke, you guys over there in the US, pull ya heads in and either patch it all up with a kiss or let people who truly love the game do something.

The whole fighting thing has gone way too far.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't think it makes much difference which body they are aligned with as long as they continue to be interested in developing the game in the right way, although I can't help but see this as a backwards step for them long-term. Maybe they have been invited to play in the AMNRL comp immediately in place of Delaware/Aston? That's the only reason I could think for this move.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
They will end up setting up their own comp anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

In fact, having the USARL and the AMNRL both trying to do something to get the game going in Utah is a very positive thing.

The twenty thousand PIslander mormons in Utah makes it the biggest concentration of Pacific Islanders outside of Auckland and Sydney, and a natural fit for RL expansion. We have known this for at least 10 years, but nothing has been done.

Last edited:

Sharks Forever

Juniors
I'm by no means a spokesman for the team, just an old fill-in player against guys twice my size and half my age... so please don't take this as an official position, just my take.

I see us very much as an expansion team. We're a fair way from being involved in a regular East Coast comp, representative selection etc, so that's not the motivation, but the long-term potential is there. I doubt there are too many places in the US where you train near schools where almost every day of the week there are rugby teams training after school. As billy2 said, it is a lot to do with the Polynesian population here, but there's plenty of other guys who've come up through rugby schools as well. The guys I play with have the real natural passing & running skills like you'd find back in Australia, it's just learning league and teamwork and tackling... and we have a great coach to do that.

Anyway, I know it was a real tough choice, and done with a lot of regret too, it's not in our nature. But we have had a team training twice a week all year, promising games, but not much chance of a full-on game in the immediate future, due to the distance. Through our own fault we didn't represent well at the 9s, due to cost and players flying out too late/getting caught by the weather, and again the USARL teams helped us there which we were grateful for. But after that tournament was finished, most of the rest of 2011 is focused on the East Coast, and our regional options were shrinking.

This gives us potential for several games this year and beyond. Obviously you don't take anything for granted, and I know not everything will work out perfectly. I know we hope to play against a Hawaiian team, Chicago etc, and any other games are a bonus. Any well-promoted home game in Utah should draw a big crowd from the local rugby community (there were 15,000 for the college rugby final at Rio Tinto Stadium... though we're not quite expecting that!). But that's the main hope for this year, show that this sport is actually real, and a lot better than bloody boring rugby! Even just one game will make the difference.

Again, I'm putting words in mouths here, but I think everyone out here just hope things get sorted agan, and we can focus on playing footy. So that in 2 years or so we *can* be involved in some form of regular competition.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
The important thing is that games are played.

In an ideal world it would be great to get Tonga and Samoa to play a Pacific cup with USA, Canada and maybe Jamacia in Utah.

Probably pipe dreams, but it shouldn't be, this is the sort of thing the RLIF should be doing.

Sharks Forever

Juniors
The important thing is that games are played.

In an ideal world it would be great to get Tonga and Samoa to play a Pacific cup with USA, Canada and maybe Jamacia in Utah.

Probably pipe dreams, but it shouldn't be, this is the sort of thing the RLIF should be doing.
Like you say, before I came back over here, I was totally ignorant of the whole rugby league situation here, and only cared about NRL. But just being involved for a while, you realise that one player's NRL salary could mean the world of difference to the competition over here. There really is a spark waiting to be lit.

Last edited:

Sharks Forever

Juniors
Best of luck Utah
Thanks, and I'm sorry if I did offend you. Again I'm just an outsider looking in, and got a bit carried away with the sound of my own typing. I was mainly trying to explain this was not some vindictive move... but I'll leave it at that, and leave it to the officials, before I cause more problems.

druzik

Juniors
One thing I found amusing was that when the 9s were being played, the AMNRL cam out saying that Utah and the other teams were all fake teams... but have been quite happy to accept one of these "fake" teams back into the fold.

But, either way. Utah are doing what they feel is best for them and I hope the best for them this year.

Latest posts