What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes NFL career

nick87

Coach
How about the XFL if he wants to play American Football?

XFL arent going to be able to afford to pay him what the NRL could
But yeah if he's hell bent on playing American Football and the cash is not a consideration, i'd think he'd be a good shot there

T-Boon

Coach
How about the XFL if he wants to play American Football?

He is at best going to be a guy who does what Hayne did. Get a spot play some snaps but always be on the bubble and ultimately come back to the NRL for next season.
If he got a spot in the XFL he would be shown to be average at best and that would mean he will not get picked up by any NFL teams for 2020.
Best thing he can do is spend some time on a practice squad work out that it isn't going to happen and come back and get a full pre season in for the Roosters.

Vozzy

Juniors
Despite being a good attacker aswell as Hayne I still believe he and other league converts should be considered more for defense. So many miss tackles by safeties and corners when the the running back gets through the first line of defense or when a receiver is in open space. They all go for arm tackles and become turnstiles. But when a break is made in league even Hayne and other attacking fullbacks a pretty good one on one tacklers because they have technique in which the NFL guys don't seem to use.

Despite being a good attacker aswell as Hayne I still believe he and other league converts should be considered more for defense. So many miss tackles by safeties and corners when the the running back gets through the first line of defense or when a receiver is in open space. They all go for arm tackles and become turnstiles. But when a break is made in league even Hayne and other attacking fullbacks a pretty good one on one tacklers because they have technique in which the NFL guys don't seem to use.

Yep. And all the commentators blow their chunks when one of the quincy AFL kickers pull off a decent tackle.

They should be looking at corner back / safety before RB.

T-Boon

Coach

I really don't think an NFL team would trust someone with zero experience to play a DB position. It is a very instinctive part of the game. You just have to look at how NRL wingers and centres misread backline plays to see that they are not that great tackling when having to make decisions and react instinctively. Not to mention the speed the corner backs have to have is beyond pretty much everyone in the NRL.
Some of the corner backs that got bumped to the last few rounds of the draft (eg Julian Love) had unbelievable college careers but lacking top end speed is enough to miss out.

I really don't think an NFL team would trust someone with zero experience to play a DB position. It is a very instinctive part of the game. You just have to look at how NRL wingers and centres misread backline plays to see that they are not that great tackling when having to make decisions and react instinctively. Not to mention the speed the corner backs have to have is beyond pretty much everyone in the NRL.
Some of the corner backs that got bumped to the last few rounds of the draft (eg Julian Love) had unbelievable college careers but lacking top end speed is enough to miss out.

Yeah, some. Obviously I’m not saying all RL should go over there.

And I’m not saying all current NFL cb’s and safeties are cats that give up on the play.

I am saying someone like Jorge Tafua seems to be able to time his tackles well enough.

AJB1102

First Grade
These players need to get some better advice. This little adventure will cost him millions in lost earnings and who knows how he’ll come back. Look at Hayne and what a disaster it ended up being for his career.

Like what? "Don't back yourself and chase your dreams". "Chase the dollar above all else". That sort of advice?

I believe he should (and will) stick with the Jets practice squad.

In the short time he's been there he's gone ok. But another year in the practice squad he'll learn so much more. Then he and the Jets will know if he'll make it on the field long term or not.

If he were to leave now, its would always be a "what if". It would smack of defeatism and taking the easier, comfortable road. I genuinely believe him when he said he's chasing his dream - and to do that he has to work his absolute backside off for longer than just a pre-season to expect to catch that dream. Others he's competing with for a spot have been doing this for years and years. I hope he makes it.

The NRL will always be here and he's got plenty of years as a footballer left in him no matter which code he ends up in.

Stick with it Val. You'll only win in the end.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like what? "Don't back yourself and chase your dreams". "Chase the dollar above all else". That sort of advice?

Like "your careers short, you've been given a gift to be a star NRL player, don't blow millions of $'s by chasing stupid dreams" You'll thank me for it in your 50's.

myrrh ken

First Grade
He's only 23 so plenty of time to earn coin from league.

He could probably play both given the yanks only play 16 games a season. And he would only be playing about 20 30 mins a game max. What a bludge

Travitoh

First Grade
If Holmes sticks around for year in the practice squad learning his trade and is able to get onto a roster he'll earn a minimum salary of approx $700k.
Play a few snaps each week, become good enough to either keep his spot or be wanted elsewhere and play a few snaps and he could continue doing so for at least minimum.
Bounce around the league for a few seasons collecting as many cheques as snaps and suddenly it's pretty good coin for doing not much compared to what he'd have to produce in the NRL for an extra $300k or so.
Potentially longer career with the safety net of the NRL should he become an unwanted free agent over there, he'd be a fool not to keep at it.
I could be wrong but isn't there also a chance he gets called up should someone go on IR?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Like "your careers short, you've been given a gift to be a star NRL player, don't blow millions of $'s by chasing stupid dreams" You'll thank me for it in your 50's.

So instead of collecting 10 million over his career he'll only be able to collect 5.

All these people crying over his finances.- haha

nick87

Coach
Yep. And all the commentators blow their chunks when one of the quincy AFL kickers pull off a decent tackle.

I dont see it, corner is such a technical position, there would be VERY little chance a guy who's never played could start fresh in the code at corner and be anything but a total liability.

And safety whilst not as technical and it's skills, its highly technical in it's understanding of the game and defensive schemes, and not just their role in it, but the whole thing, because the proliferation of zone/man match concepts and how complex the schemes are in general

I dont think an NRL player could go over there and have an understanding of those things without spending like 3-4 years doing it at a college level first. Not because they arent smart enough, but because they havent grown up doing it and the idea of it and all the various concepts that go around it are completely foreign to them.

It's like learning a language, you can pick up enough to get by for a holiday, but it'll take you years to fully understand a foreign language to the level you can hear it, speak it and operate with it fluently.

NFL players would have the same problems trying to play NRL footy

DC_fan

Coach
I dont see it, corner is such a technical position, there would be VERY little chance a guy who's never played could start fresh in the code at corner and be anything but a total liability.
And safety whilst not as technical and it's skills, its highly technical in it's understanding of the game and defensive schemes, and not just their role in it, but the whole thing, because the proliferation of zone/man match concepts and how complex the schemes are in general

I dont think an NRL player could go over there and have an understanding of those things without spending like 3-4 years doing it at a college level first. Not because they arent smart enough, but because they havent grown up doing it and the idea of it and all the various concepts that go around it are completely foreign to them.

It's like learning a language, you can pick up enough to get by for a holiday, but it'll take you years to fully understand a foreign language to the level you can hear it, speak it and operate with it fluently.

NFL players would have the same problems trying to play NRL footy

Manfred Moore was the perfect example of this

DC_fan

Coach
one advantage a league player would bring to an NFL teams defense is that at least they know how to tackle.

Homo man69

Juniors
Just because they play one to many video games. These league ‘superstars’ think they can just convert into an NFL player. First every NFL team is similar to our state of origin teams. Only the best of the best of the best make it over there. Guys get dropped for dropping the ball. NRL players couldn’t even make the college teams. Also it’s vice versa. It takes playing league from a little kid to have the levels of fitness NRL players have. Sure a great NFL player might make one or two good runs or tackles but after that there gassed. I just pray it’s over now.