What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes.

newman

First Grade
Is a bright prospect but is nowhere near ready for first grade yet, in particular at fullback. Doesn't talk at all on the field.

The coaching staff know this, and he knows this. He is but a pup. So please stop suggesting him for promotion, it will kill him.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Is a bright prospect but is nowhere near ready for first grade yet, in particular at fullback. Doesn't talk at all on the field.

The coaching staff know this, and he knows this. He is but a pup. So please stop suggesting him for promotion, it will kill him.

Outside looking in but definitely agree. He looks like a gun but you don't wanna turn him into Jordan Rankin MKII like that idiot Cartwright did.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I agree a fullback needs to be vocal from the back but surely to God that is not stopping him from being in firsts. This isn't about ruining the kids career before it's even started, this is about looking outside the friggen square. Panthers had no choice to throw moylan in(doing so they let coote go) and tigers had no choice to throw Tedesco in the deep end(he sure isn't struggling).

What I'm saying is these kids are made for the current style of footy being played. Val Holmes is ready on the skill side of things and that should warrant selection...the vocal side of things will come as his confidence grows

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Just on this, we all know what sticky did to alby. He killed the kid and hung him out to dry when the whole time it was his coaching incompetence that led to alby's drop in confidence. At the same time certain posters on here were praising sticky and actually bagging alby when it he was completely out of position.

I could go on all day about this but the moral of the story is:

Look at Alby now in his favored position

webShark

I could go on all day about this but the moral of the story is:

Look at Alby now in his favored position

Or maybe, give juniors a fair go or you will lose them.

On Holmes. I have only seen him a few times. Looks promising but if our backline carried any threat I doubt had would be mentioned.

On Gordon, I don't care about his favourite position. He is hardly dangerous at FB. Too many senior players play where they want and run the show to our detriment.

When you are bottom of the ladder with no attacking flair it's no wonder a kid scoring 6 tries in 2 games gets mentioned.

newman

First Grade
I agree a fullback needs to be vocal from the back but surely to God that is not stopping him from being in firsts. This isn't about ruining the kids career before it's even started, this is about looking outside the friggen square. Panthers had no choice to throw moylan in(doing so they let coote go) and tigers had no choice to throw Tedesco in the deep end(he sure isn't struggling).

What I'm saying is these kids are made for the current style of footy being played. Val Holmes is ready on the skill side of things and that should warrant selection...the vocal side of things will come as his confidence grows

I've got a pretty good pipeline into some of the coaching staff at the moment. They say he's not ready, based on a number of factors exhibited in the game but mainly at training. They asked him if he thought he was ready and he said he didn't think so either.

He's not in the selection frame at the moment, and that's not a bad thing. I believe they erred in holding Lichaa and some others back, but there is no point throwing a kid to the wolves based on some electric attack when his whole game is only going to let the side down.

chewsta

First Grade
they must have considered him if they asked him? Or is that something they do with everyone Newms? kinda like a self assessment so you know what you need to work on?
Its a damn shame because the kid is the goods and that electric attack is exactly what we desperately need!

What about Fu Brown?

newman

First Grade
they must have considered him if they asked him? Or is that something they do with everyone Newms? kinda like a self assessment so you know what you need to work on?
Its a damn shame because the kid is the goods and that electric attack is exactly what we desperately need!

What about Fu Brown?

The ultimate goal for 20s players is to make it to the next level, so yeah it's a self assessment thing. Brown is closer than Holmes.

Ausguy

Coach
Newms if ya got a line to the coaches... can ya ask why they choose to not move up in defense and run backwards when the opposition swings it wide?

Dogs wer eup on us last week and killed every play... not sure why it didnt tweak to do the same to them.

Card Shark

Immortal
Newms if ya got a line to the coaches... can ya ask why they choose to not move up in defense and run backwards when the opposition swings it wide?

Dogs wer eup on us last week and killed every play... not sure why it didnt tweak to do the same to them.

I can answer that...

Because we are the sharks & will get penalised.

They are the dogs & won't get penalised.

Cronullified!

newman

First Grade

I wrote a long post about it a while back. Essentially we have a "catch and hold" approach enabling us to move up and slide as a unit. Our line speed will never look like the Storms, we have a different system. In saying that, there is no excuse for the lack of moving up we saw on Monday, that was just laziness/fatigue/inexperience.

Inferno

Coach
I wrote a long post about it a while back. Essentially we have a "catch and hold" approach enabling us to move up and slide as a unit. Our line speed will never look like the Storms, we have a different system. In saying that, there is no excuse for the lack of moving up we saw on Monday, that was just laziness/fatigue/inexperience.

It's also a high percentage play in respect to not giving away penalties. With our brittle attack, we can't afford to have the other side in our attacking zone too often because we don't have the points to catch up.

Frenzy.

Immortal
There's no guarantee Holmes will even see out his contract. Lotta reports about him being terribly homesick for Cowboy country

gavin_miller

Juniors
Agree Newman that he is a while off, but I saw the game today on DVD; Holmes and Brown were unbelievable in that game! Even when losing 20-0 they looked dangerous. And their footwork is brilliant. Certainly need to be signed long term. They are special kids.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Great thread. However, Newman, we need to keep him. A stint off the bench will build him.
Right now hes at the knife edge age. Go on or continue.

The Popper

Bench
Agree Newman that he is a while off, but I saw the game today on DVD; Holmes and Brown were unbelievable in that game! Even when losing 20-0 they looked dangerous. And their footwork is brilliant. Certainly need to be signed long term. They are special kids.

Agree wholeheartedly, Gav.

newman

First Grade
As I said in the OP, he's a very bright prospect. He should be re-signed and if he fixes his issues up should be a bolter for firsts. I want him to do well.