What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Consulted my son (a physio) who watched the match with me. Like all medical professionals he was cautious and said it could be any number of injuries but when pressed on it, felt it was most likely initially a strain of the gastrocnemius muscle (calf) and then a rupture. Happens when athletes who run a lot and change direction to evade opponents are tired. Being on the older side can also be a factor. Probably he should have come off earlier but he's an important player and understandably wanted to stay out there. Recovery depends on degree of tear and treatment which can range from conservative to radical (surgery).

A damn shame. I had remarked to my son that this was the Valentine Holmes who played for Cronulla years before. Best attacking game I'd seen from him in Cowboys colours. The dynamic running, speed and step was back and would be a welcome addition to our outside backs which currently relied on slow behemoths like Suli and Rava playing like extra forwards.

All we can do is hope for the best and that he fully recovers. What we saw last night is what I want to see from him every week in Dragons colours.

56to66

Juniors
Consulted my son (a physio) who watched the match with me. Like all medical professionals he was cautious and said it could be any number of injuries but when pressed on it, felt it was most likely initially a strain of the gastrocnemius muscle (calf) and then a rupture. Happens when athletes who run a lot and change direction to evade opponents are tired. Being on the older side can also be a factor. Probably he should have come off earlier but he's an important player and understandably wanted to stay out there. Recovery depends on degree of tear and treatment which can range from conservative to radical (surgery).

A damn shame. I had remarked to my son that this was the Valentine Holmes who played for Cronulla years before. Best attacking game I'd seen from him in Cowboys colours. The dynamic running, speed and step was back and would be a welcome addition to our outside backs which currently relied on slow behemoths like Suli and Rava playing like extra forwards.

All we can do is hope for the best and that he fully recovers. What we saw last night is what I want to see from him every week in Dragons colours.
It goes to Show how much pressure on the bottom part of the leg it takes to step off your right and left @ full speed, I guess we won't be seeing to much of that in 2025.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Holmes is the centre that we have lacked since Mark Gasnier retired. We have had Aitken and Lafai and Beale and Suli and Fegaii and of course Lomax. None have the zip, zip skills and speed and acceleration like Holmes. He of course is a great goal kicker to boot so ticks plenty of boxes.

It is a shame that he has copped this leg injury in his last game for the Cowboys when all through 2024 playing comp and SOO he had no problems. I sincerely hope for him and the club that he fully recovers and he is ready to go next March.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Holmes is the centre that we have lacked since Mark Gasnier retired. We have had Aitken and Lafai and Beale and Suli and Fegaii and of course Lomax. None have the zip, zip skills and speed and acceleration like Holmes. He of course is a great goal kicker to boot so ticks plenty of boxes.

It is a shame that he has copped this leg injury in his last game for the Cowboys when all through 2024 playing comp and SOO he had no problems. I sincerely hope for him and the club that he fully recovers and he is ready to go next March.
True DD, but shit game plans restricted the ability of some of those players to show their abilities. Hope we allow these guys some space; Suli and Holmes in the open would be good to see