What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vea Joins Dragons

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
its all part of the cycle. We're in a transition period which will lead to a rebuild in 2013 when a lot of the current squad come off contract.

We're not a top heavy squad in any way, so you just add where you're not so strong. I personally still see us as a Top 4 squad on paper next year. And if the last 4 weeks had gone our way, then tehre'd be no doubting the recruitment.

These guys obviously aren't established starts, but they all have potential and have played some decent NRL footy. I agree that Ah Mau and Matthews would be the pick of the forwards, potential wise.

Mr Red

First Grade
I was referring to players he listed. Read the post I quoted. Insert emoticon here. :roll:

thats like saying we have crap wingers because i use Peni Tagive as the example and completely ignored the fact we have Morris and Nightingale..

just because he didnt use good examples to illustrate his point does not mean the point is not valid...:crazy:

Godz Illa

Coach
Yawn emoticon. The examples cited were intended as good examples, and just because I've cast doubt on them you want to disregard them and throw in others? I won't dare mention the players that we were released to accommodate the likes of Smith Fien and Boyd (and Gasnier) -and this before we'd even won a comp - because such complexities don't seem to survive in your simplistic paradise of hindsight.

country_dragon

Juniors
Not sure if it's still this bloke?

Melbourne Storm's wrestling master revealed
Article fro
m: Daily Telegraph September 27, 2007

THE martial arts master who has transformed the Melbourne Storm into a premiership powerhouse has been revealed.

The Daily Telegraph last night uncovered explosive details of the mystery man who has revolutionised rugby league with his controversial wrestling techniques.

Cage fighter John Donehue holds a black belt (shodan) in both judo and ju-jitsu.

He is regarded as the undisputed king of "grappling and submission" in Australia. He is also the Storm's wrestling coach.

Since joining Melbourne in 2001, Donehue has had such an impact on rugby league that the NRL will this year hold an emergency summit to address wrestling in defence.

In the meantime, Donehue could be the man who propels the Storm to their second premiership on Sunday.

Melbourne's hidden weapon has been gagged from talking, but The Daily Telegraph last night uncovered a website interview where Donehue lifts the lid on the Storm's most guarded secret.

The former WWF R.A.W. submission coach alludes to the contentious "ripper" tackle when he mentions "arm locks". "There are several aspects of wrestling that could be applied to (rugby league) training," Donehue told NHB (No Holds Barred) Fight.

"Tackling styles, arm locks, ways of protecting the football and methods of slowing down the play-the-ball area are all vital parts of the game that can be enhanced.

"I concentrate on upper-body wrestling techniques in terms of tying up the guy who has got the ball and turning him over on to his back in defence.

"I also make sure they understand the finer points of body positioning before they go in to tackle and different ways to bring people down to the ground and control them once there."

Donehue is revered in the world of martial arts. He is one of only four Judo black belts to have ever trained under legendary martial arts figure Gene LeBell.

A reference from another highly regarded martial arts figure - dated January 1, 1999, highly recommends Donehue "as a coach, teacher and trainer in any submission and grappling arts".

Former Australian Mixed Martial Arts titleholder Jon Leven - a 3rd red tip Jin Wu Koon exponent - last night said Donehue was the best exponent of the grapple in Australia.

"He is a leading figure in our industry," Leven said. But in a stunning admission, Leven declared Anthony Watmough was right when he suggested the "ripper" tackle could wrench an arm right from the socket.

"We use it in MMA. The ripper is when you extend the arm backwards with the palm out," Leven said.

"It will hyper-extend the shoulder and elbow and provide pain.

"If it was to be extended far enough it would snap and it has happened in MMA. It is a move we use to force a submission. It is borderline dangerous, that is why we have the option in MMA to tap and submit."

yep, that's the one I was thinking of - just couldn't remember his name.

Minh

First Grade
All this MMA training might explain why Slater thinks he's so tough lol.

Minh

First Grade
Our boys should just lock on with the triangle choke and put these cheating pretenders to sleep and out of their misery.

gorilla

First Grade
Kite played zero first grade before joing us. He made his debut as a Dragon.
Weyman was barely a fringe player when he left Canberra (played only 7 games in 2008). Overweight, ill-disciplined and injury prone.
Beau Scott was hardly established quality either. Sharks fans hated/still hate him, such was the quality he showed in their colours.
Costigan had played some rep football in 07 but was well off the rails and couldn't make the starting side for Canberra in 08.
Priddis. Only ever a fill in, and only filled that role suitable in 2010. 09 he was awful.

and Smith, meh...

possm

Coach
He will be Ok; they say he is doing great at training. Can't wait to see the Dragons, NYC and Illawarra NSW Cup teams play.

I believe they will all have a great season.