What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella to Wigan?

Morenito

Juniors
Wigan have another go at signing Bryan Fletcher
By Brad Walter
February 2, 2005

South Sydney have turned down an approach from Wigan to release captain Bryan Fletcher on the eve of the NRL season.

It is the second time in six months the English club has failed in a bid to snare Fletcher and it is believed the big-spending Super League outfit now plans to target Parramatta prop Michael Vella.

Fletcher's agent, Steve Gillis, confirmed that an offer had been received this week from Wigan, who are desperate to find a replacement for injured front-rower Luke Davico.

Wigan signed Davico only after missing out on Fletcher late last year but the former Canberra prop's career now seems to have ended after he suffered a recurrence of a torn pectoral muscle during a trial last weekend.

Great Britain captain Andy Farrell is also out for six months with a knee injury, leaving Wigan short on forward firepower going into the Super League season.

Gillis said Fletcher would see out the remainder of his Rabbitohs contract and might extend the deal beyond this year.

It's always been part of Bryan's long-term plan to play over there but he won't be going this season and we will have to wait and see what happens in regards to June 30 [the NRL's anti-tampering deadline]," Gillis said. "All we could do was relay Wigan's offer to Souths, and they were keen to retain him, so that's the end of the matter."

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said Fletcher was an integral part of new coach Shaun McRae's plans and the club was determined to keep him.

"I've spoken to Bryan and he's happy here, so we've got no interest in releasing him," Richardson said.

Gillis said he expected Fletcher's future to be resolved within the next five months but if Wigan were to sign another high-profile Australian, the club might not have an import spot left for the former Test second-rower.

Vella, who is under pressure to retain his starting place in the Eels' forward pack, is understood to head a shortlist of possible targets for Wigan. But Parramatta are also likely to be reluctant to release him so close to the beginning of the season, which starts on March 11.

Widnes and London have been linked to former Souths centre Lee Hookey, who quit the club before Christmas to spend more time with his family.

Interesting... thoughts?

Stagger eel

Staff member
no!! phuckem!!!..Make them develop their own front rower.

Vella will be vital in our plans this year, we need as much depth in his position as we can and he's been training with us in preperation all summer, as far as I'm concerned, we need him to fire upand put pressure on other blokes fighting for his spot.

stiffmeister

Bench
I'm willing to give him a go first 6 rounds & if he's not performing by then, the stiffmeister will say Please take him UK. Then Bye, Bye MR Vella

:nwave:

newmanj

Juniors
I believe he has had 2 ordinary years in 2003-4. Let him go and re-sign the younger brigade to longer contracts.

Stagger eel

Staff member
but he's played over 100 games for the club, his experiance will be vital and very important for our depth.

he can also be a big match player, only problem is we haven't played a big match in a couple of years but we're bound to do so this year.

can you imagine how blokes Peek, Fui, Azz, Josh Cordoba and Big JT feel if Vella leaves the club????...those blokes would are bound to drop their guard knowing that competition for their spot won't be as intense, and we don't want that.

thedux

Juniors
I don't see any reason to signing the younger players to long-term contracts until the June 30 deadline because Afa aside most haven't proven themselves to be consistent FG players. I think Vella should at least be given this long to give an indication as to whether it's a form slump or if he's just passed his best.

The Colonel

Immortal
Vella hasn't had much help for the past two years up front. He has had good games, he has had poor games and he has played terrible but I still think he needs a chance at redemption.......

[-o<

Oh please god make this be true. And lets charge those bastards a transfer fee as well. 2 years of crap.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's done nothing for two years

:nwave:

we've got kids I'd rather see develop and they'll be more energetic that Vella.

Freak

Juniors
Newmanj - You are generally spot on the money, but I feel that Vella is often underated by us who have seen him at his devestating best and have been dissappointed in his last 2 seasons.

IMO I do not believe he has been that bad but I will admit he has been inconsistant.

He will go much better this year - don't write the Big Tranny off!!

Utey

Coach
I would like to see him work alongside a descent pack. He is still able to turn it on.

Sure his had some shockers but he is seen as another leader in our team.

The Godfather

Juniors
Send him over there now !!!!

Specific instructions are to decapitate a certain St. Helens centre and put him out of the game for good.

True EEL

Bench
very interesting.....its seems it could be perform or pack your bags time for Vella

lets hope for his and the team's sake he chooses option 1.....

Utey

Coach
I think he will preform this year. His rarely played without injuries in recent times and was certainly not our worst prop last season.

dazeely

First Grade
Freak said:
IMO I do not believe he has been that bad but I will admit he has been inconsistant.

He will go much better this year - don't write the Big Tranny off!!

I agree. Inconsistency is what sums him up. As sad as it is to say but he seems to perform when the heat is on and lets face it with injuries etc over the last few years there hasn't been much competition amongst the forwards. This year however there is and you will see a different Vella IMO. He might not like it but plays best from the bench (like Widders) and this is where I think he will be. Plenty of friendly competition and playing for a contract will see the Vella of old back. Hold on to him for now anyay...

Haynzy

First Grade
When playing well, Vella is one of the most damaging running front rowers around. If he has an injury free season, maybe he will find that form again.

Besides we need someone in the team with a mo ;-)

True EEL

Bench
well he had better because he is certainly capable of a lot more (ie. the Roosters win last year) than he has shown in the past three years.....

injuries aside......he has either simply been lazy or has never gotten over the fact that he and the rest of the pack were dominated so seemingly easily against the Knights in "that" game