What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella to Wigan?

Jake the snake said:
I just don't want to se vella play for Parra anymore the last 2 years have been crap, if we can get rid of him and not pay him 250k for this year that would be good.

And with that we can afford to re-sign the Likes of Jack Afa and Tim Smith who come off contract.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
I just don't want to se vella play for Parra anymore the last 2 years have been crap, if we can get rid of him and not pay him 250k for this year that would be good.

His position on the reserve bench for the trial may be a result of 2003 and 2004. How he responds will determine his future.....I doubt it will be determined before the season starts.

Redback71

First Grade
doesnt vella qualify for the discount he must be getting pretty close to the 10 yr mark by now

PJ Marshal

Coach
omg this has proven that we have so many supporters who are turncoats in our club

so many of you are omg like vella should leave allready for the past couple of seasons and now half are you are crying to keep him

what the hell is wrong with you?

newmanj

Juniors
Thanks for the comments, both those in agreement with me, and those with discenting opinions.
Just to prove me wrong, he will probably have a blinder this year. After all, it is contract renewal year. I really feel that that he has not provided the value for money in the last 2 years when we have really needed him. Do not get me wrong, i really like the bloke, and think that at his best, he is right up there. But lets face it, he has not been at his best for 2 years. Willie Mason and Co believe the Micky Vella and his ilk are soft, and as such cannon fodder. He have seen nothing in the last 2 seasons to convince me otherwise. Spend the money on the youngsters.

Jason

Utey

Coach
I guess I cant say keep Vella because we all know what his capable of. He needs to show some consistant form this year and I think he will. I highly doubt he will be released.

Utey

Coach
Ill wait till the season begins before I say anything else. His much better off the bench.

I can't believe people aren't giving the bloke a chance. He is our first local junior to play for Australia since Brett Kenny, and has given his life to this Club.

OK, so he hasn't set the world on fire over the last two years - but who has aside from Hindy? So we sack the entire team except for Hindy and McKinnon?

At least, Vella deserves to retain his contract, and even if he has to play in Reserves, he deserves to be given the chance to earn his first grade spot back and earn another contract. After all he has given us over the years, he deserves this at the least.

Hollywood Jesus said:
I can't believe people aren't giving the bloke a chance. He is our first local junior to play for Australia since Brett Kenny, and has given his life to this Club.

OK, so he hasn't set the world on fire over the last two years - but who has aside from Hindy? So we sack the entire team except for Hindy and McKinnon?

At least, Vella deserves to retain his contract, and even if he has to play in Reserves, he deserves to be given the chance to earn his first grade spot back and earn another contract. After all he has given us over the years, he deserves this at the least.

Sorry what has he given us.... Premiership NO....Excellent performances over the last 2 years NO. You make it sound like we Owe him or something....its the otherway around mate he should pay back 2 years of his contract as he has not pulled his finger out for that LONG.

He deserves nothing because he has given nothing constantly. We have given this softy 250k PA for the last 3 years and what has he repaid us with??? He had 2 years to fix his game he did nothing. i can't see Parra wasting anymore money on him. Ok Fair enough if we let him see out his contract this year but I don't think Parra will offer him a contract for future years. His best option is to go to Wigan get a three year contract with them and earn good money.

Utey

Coach
I guess because Hindy hasnt won us a premiership we should release him :roll:

He will come good.

I guess because Hindy hasnt won us a premiership we should release him :roll:

He will come good.

Hindy was doing it by himself while soft bludgers like vella go for the ride. If Vella doesn't go to Wigan he will probably have an OK year for us but the only reason for this is simply because its CONTRACT TIME, thats not the type of player we want here not for another 3 years. Vella had 2 years to improve his game and Blew it....Goodbye Vella say Hello to Lyon!!!

In 2000 and 2001 Vella was the Man but when things got tough only one player stood up and that was Hindmarsh.

Hellsy

Immortal
It would be a shame to see our local junior go :( ..... still he has been inconsistent over the last few years.
Wonder if putting him with our revived forward pack this year will see him rise to the occaision? I want to see how he goes.. :D
Either way he needs to do what is best for him in the long run.

Parraren

Bench
In fairness to Micky V, who apart from Hindmarsh has played consistently well over the past 2 years? I thought Wade had a stellar season last year but he needs to back it up again this year. Apart from that I'm struggling to come up with any other names.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Look i couldn't give a ratts arse if he is a local junior, or the first local junior to play for Australia since Kenny, i just want to see some f**king performances by not only him but others.

I don't give a shit if we purchase all our players from other clubs and neglect our juniors if it will ensure us a premiership.

Vella has had know company in the engine room last year apart from Hindy.

Vellas problem is stopping at the line, and not hitting the ball at pace as he use too.

He rectifys these problems then i think his mental toughness in other capacities will once again be recongnised.

I agree with Jake, $250,000 is way too much, but to be fair to Vella i'd hardly say Cayless has deserved his money aswell for the little game time he's had.

rowdy

First Grade
I hope Micky V has a blinder. I know he's been inconsistent etc, but I also see him as a role model for pretty much the rest of the team - because the squad is quite young. IMO we need guys with club experience like Hindy, Caylo, Wags, Burty and Vella.

Utey

Coach
Put him in a descent enough pack and he will go well.

I totally agree with RJ.

1eyedeel

Juniors
Most people are assuming that we'd be doing the right thing by him by not releasing Vella, when I'd suggest it would more likely be the other way round. No doubt, Micky V knows he is going to struggle to command the kind of money he is on now playing in NRL next year. If the opportunity is there now for him to get a three year contract with Wigan say for $300k+ a year (obviously it would have to be more than his current 250k to lure him) wouldn't you be thinking that's a pretty hard opportunity to turn your back on. It's very possible that if Wigan come up with a big enough offer, Vella will want to take it as was the case with the ludicrous money offered to Vaeliki.

I think it would be stupid to release him. I don't see the point of playing under your salary cap especially when we're not likely to come under cap pressure next year. We don't have proven props. We have about ten front rowers all of whom just might deliver the goods, but might not. Vella's just as likely to be one of the good one's, as any of the others who all have question marks hanging over their head.

The other point about Vella is that in 2001 his hitups would come after a Cayless barge. He is far more effective as a second hit up, once the defence is moving backward as are most front rowers of Vella's build. In the past couple of seasons we haven't had an effective first hit up and that makes Vella a lot less effective. It's not like Corey Pearson ever had the defence back peddaling.

By the way, as far as I can ascertain both Cayless and Vella qualify as ten year players this year. You only get $100k for one player and obviously Cayless will still be here so that won't factor into the equation, I believe.

Haynzy

First Grade
It seems to me that Mick can't win.....
Yes he's had a shocking couple of seasons, I'm sure he knows that and if he has any pride in himself he'd feel pretty bad about it.

This is a new year but if he goes well it's because his contract is up. :roll:

Give the guy a break.
I hope he has a blinder and gets called back up to the NSW and Australian sides.
and signs on for more years and premierships to come at the eels.