What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella to Wigan?

Moggles

Juniors
He has been really bad for the eels for two seasons.

That is two seasons people!!!!!!!

Get rid of him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
well he had better because he is certainly capable of a lot more (ie. the Roosters win last year) than he has shown in the past three years.....

injuries aside......he has either simply been lazy or has never gotten over the fact that he and the rest of the pack were dominated so seemingly easily against the Knights in "that" game

not to mention the niggling back injury which has hampered him for about 2 seasons now.

look!!!..at the end of the day, we may not need him but his presence will lift any competing prop out of their comfort zone, if we're paying him 250K to premier league this year, then atleast we've achieved what we wanted to achieve and we got we what we can out of the bloke but if he's not there, it may send a signal to the youger and fringe first graders that they may be able to drop of a notch or 2, and we don't want that!!

besides, the injury Gods haven't been kind to us lately whats to say this year isn't any different?

dazeely

First Grade
Moggles said:
He has been really bad for the eels for two seasons.

That is two seasons people!!!!!!!

Get rid of him.

At the end of this year and his contract. If he doesn't cut it drop him in place of the new boys. Dare I say it but with injuries the added depth and experience might come in very handy. The writings on the wall if he doesn't step up and the renewal of his contract. He will perform, believe me.......

eels_fan

First Grade
Vella has played his entire footy career with Parra, he has shown faith and commitment in our club so i think we can at least do the same for him. This is the final year of his contract, and if im not wrong he now qualifies for the 10 year exemption im pretty sure, or he is close to it.

I truely believe he will improve dramatically with Stringer, Morrison and Hindy in a more attacking role beside him.

If he doesnt, let him go at seasons end.

Go The Eels

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
i said injuries aside......?????

stand corrected!!!

but don't you think he stood to the plate against the Broncos in the 02 playoff??..less than a year after the Newcastle game.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hve to disagree with Newmanj also on this one, i feel Vella has done as much as he could in a pretty disapointing pack in the last 2 years, i felt the 2 Penrith games last year we saw Vella back to his best, he is an asset.

I believe Vella with Cayless back and Cannings etc firing will be back to his best....and the speculation about Wigan will just make him more fired up.

Eelementary

Post Whore
IMO, Vella's form has been frustratingly inconsistent. When he has been good, he has been spectacular - best player on the field (Penrith in Penrith, Roosters win). When he's been bad, he's been ordinary.

I believe it is a combination of niggling injuries and the frustration that no matter how well he and Hindy and Caylo played, the other forwards would not chip in and they'd get nowhere.

I mean Stapo was cool and all, but he hardly made metres.

I truly think that with players like Hindy, Caylo, Morro, Cannings, Riddell and Robbo all making tackles and metres that Vella - injury-allowing of course - will once again find his very best form.

Which for us would be brilliant, because Vella at his best spells trouble for the opposition.

fish eel

Immortal
I thought Vella went OK last year when he had some matches under his belt. 02, he played most of that season with a crook knee which he had surgery on in the following off season, and I'm sure that impacted on his effectiveness. 03 he never really got going, seemed every few weeks he was getting hurt.

Vella's biggest problem is the perception, rightly on wrongly, that he is soft and lacking ticker....meaning opposition packs think they can get the better of him. My mind goes back to the broncos match last year at anz, vella took on webke, man on man, got pounded but kept getting back up. He needs to do that more consistantly (not get pounded, but show that spirit) to get a bit of respect back.

Eelementary

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I thought Vella went OK last year when he had some matches under his belt. 02, he played most of that season with a crook knee which he had surgery on in the following off season, and I'm sure that impacted on his effectiveness. 03 he never really got going, seemed every few weeks he was getting hurt.

Vella's biggest problem is the perception, rightly on wrongly, that he is soft and lacking ticker....meaning opposition packs think they can get the better of him. My mind goes back to the broncos match last year at anz, vella took on webke, man on man, got pounded but kept getting back up. He needs to do that more consistantly (not get pounded, but show that spirit) to get a bit of respect back.

I agree.

He showed last year that he could put on a few massive hits and in a few games I remember he got smashed by the opposition props. He just got up, shook it off, played the ball and got right bakc into it.

I wouldn't call him soft.

Avenger

Immortal
If the young guns fire this year, we may have to make a financial decision and let Vella go now and maybe Morris next year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, no mate.

I can't deny that people get the perception he is soft.

But what is a 'soft forward'?

It's open to interpretation.

Some people think a soft forward is one who doesn't struggle in tackles.

Some think a soft forward gets hit and goes down complaining or mimicking an injury.

Some people may think a soft forward has no heart.

To me, the fact he gets smashed and gets back up to get smashed again and occassionally does the smashing himself indicates to me he is not soft.

My only problem with him is that sometimes he won't struggle in the tackle (I like my forwards to keep wrestling forward, even with three men on them) and sometimes his defence is just plain lazy.

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't see any advantage in releasing Vella early from his contract. It's a little late to be shopping for replacement forwards.

It sounds like the addition of Peter Sharp has re-energised all the players so it's possible that Vella and everyone else could once again start playing to their potential.

Suitman

Post Whore
Looks like it is about 50-50 for Vella.

I'm for the "send him to England brigade", so make it 51-50.

Suity

I just don't want to se vella play for Parra anymore the last 2 years have been crap, if we can get rid of him and not pay him 250k for this year that would be good.