What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VNRL TALK

simon says

First Grade
I loved this game and I cant wait for this year...

It'll be interesting to see if they make any changes....if they do I would think it would be to even up the powers of the backs to the forwards.IMHO you could win the comp with crap backs and a killer pack....not the other way around.

Anyway....after my first year of VNRL....I have come to several conclusions.First,a gun kicker is a necessity,I/ll be going all out for El Masri,Hannay,Hosgo,Fitzgibbon.Get one of these bolkes and you are half way there.

Next,try to get a pack that doesnt get decimated by SOO.I found it hard with my star pack around SOO cos the big teams get the byes as well,you could be without yer pack for over a month.Blokes like Gallen,Laffranchi,Woolnough,Nutley,Thompson and co will never rep but always get that magic 40 up.

6 and 7 arent really important....not many halves score too many tries.Id be looking to get as many try socring outside backs from sides that score a lot of tries....Saints,Storm,Dogs,Roosters all fall in this category,and all their backs score from 1-5.

Anyway,thats my little scoop on some of my tactics,of course I dont want to give away too much,but Id love to hear what all the punters who played last year think....

Cheers.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I hope this year they go off the NRL site stats for forward trys, last year a couple of times I got robbed when the NRL site had me down for a forward try easily only for it not to be awarded.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yea im a keen and serious VNRL player
get the team sheets on wednesday from the paper then alter my squads accordingly :lol:

Ive found the key is secure blokes that score consistantly but arnt too expencive, last year my centre pairing rotation of Jamaal Lolesi, Brent Tate and Matt Cooper secured me a few games on their own, especially Matty Cooper, ill be gunning for him again.

As simon said under-rated forwards are good, Micheal Hodgeson for canberra was a suprise packet last year notching up numerous forward tries. Ill gun it for N.Hindmarsh like everyone will but i have stratagies aimed at getting him in a bidding war, worked a treat last year.

As with simon, i dont really aim to get killer halves combinations, something that does the job and scores a few points, but i dont think ill be able to help myself, ill buy Todd Carney, he'll come cheap too :mrgreen:

A good kicker from a good team is estential, i had an awesome team but Andrew Walker as a kicker, not a bad kicker just didnt kick as many as Fitz, and El Mazri etc

Ill probably gun it for Schif as word is he will resume kicking duties this year. But if i cant get him id got Ftizy

All things considered id like to have this top 17 for next season, depending on salary cap:

1. Clinton Schifcofske/Phil Graham
2. Jamaal Lolesi
3. Matt Cooper
4. Joel Monaghan
5. Marshall Chalk
6. Trent Barrett - normally pick him up real cheap but when he plays he gets accross the strip a bit.
7. Todd Carney
8. Micheal Weyman
9. PJ Marsh
10. Paul Gallen
11. Nathen Hindmarsh
12. Rubin Wiki/Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. Dean Widders
15. Brent Tate
16. Micheal Hodgeson
17. David Kidwell

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As the reigning premiers of the Sharks VNRL comp, I look forward to defending the title.

A kicker is essential.
You need a couple of the top ten try scorers.
My forwards will come from the teams I do not expect to do so well, my backs and kicker will come from the team I consider to be contenders.

I would like to see backs get forward tries. Not many would occur but a centre who makes 30 tackles and 10 runs should get one too.

simon says

First Grade
My best player was Andrew Ryan...plenty of triea nd forward tries.....and came pretty cheap too.

Got a few cheapies that went well,Joe Williams came in handy when my kickers went down.

Be intersting to see if Orfors is kicking.....and Johns too.Too 7's that socre goals and tries.Mmmm.

I wonder if Johns will go cheap considering his injuries.

Cheers.

Special K

Coach
Hilder, Gallen, Nutley = 3 gun shark VNRL forwards.

El Magic is worth every cent. In one comp he would get me up around 70 points for a few weeks. I picked up Hunt(25 grand) and sbw(50) so hopefully I'll buy good young blokes again next year.

VNRL is great

Dog-E

Juniors
Johns will be cheap, as he didn't play much in 2004...and if its the same as in previous years - prices are adjudged pretty well solely on the previous season's performance!...Same reason Barrett who was injured for much of 2003 & so cheap in 2004 - and players like Ryan & Hilder who starred last year at bargain rates - their prices will SKYrocket in VNRL 2005!

They key is, as stated above - to get yourself a GUN kicker - absolutley ESSENTIAL!...1 or 2 free-scoring backs...and a good, soild, hardworking forward pack!...PLUS - you need to be able to spend your cap wisely - and spot the players about to take off!...Like Benji Marshall for eg - he will be a prime target for me this season, as he will be dirt cheap...and if he can stay on the field - will be sure to get accross that white line a fair bit...no matter HOW poorly the tiggers go - he will no doubt stand out IMO...so he will bea good value signing! And if he ISN'T...well, i wont have wasted much of my salary cap on him!

Thanks to his lengthy injury - Sonny Bill should be another top value for $$ player next season!...And so on & so forth! Spend all you $$$ on Hindmarsh & Rhys Wesser, say for eg...and youre gonna struggle come rep time!...As youll have very little left to pad out your squad!...As good as he is stats wise - thats why I wont be pursuing Hindmash next season for eg - as i just reckon there's many other players ALMOST as good as he is, stats wise (After all, it doesn't matter for a forward try if a player make 40 tackles...or 89 tackles each week!...Theyre both worth the same amount of points!) - that will come FAR FAR cheaper!!...I'll just let the suckers fight it out over the expensive players.....apart from the goalkicker!...Hazem el masri is MINE MINE MINE MIIIIINE!....hopefully! ;)

The major key to VNRL success is all about BALANCE in my eyes!

At any rate i am now an absolute ADDICT - VNRL = Best.....virtual......game....everrrrrrr!! :D

Dog-E

Juniors
Oh yeah - and utility players!!...NEVER underestimate the value of a couple of good quality utility players in your squad that can play in the forwards or the backs!...come in DAMN handy indeed, when players inevitably start to drop thru injury & suspension & rep committments etc etc!

ummm, and try to resist the MASSIVE temptation to stack your team with all the best players from one team - either your own, thru bias and emotional attachment to them...or from just ONE team you think will be doing well!...As a general rule, if I get my goalkicker from one team...i make sure to pursue my main gun back & forward from a DIFFERENT team!...Else, when the team you stacked your squad with has their byes...you may find yourself in a very difficult position indeed! :oops:

lolesi

First Grade
Last year was great

Had Stewart Lolesi Tonga, scored many a trys!

Hilder, Gallen, Thompson, Ryan, Harrison and Luke Stuart! are all great buys
But yeah, if you want to win, you have to go all out for a Kicker.

Glen

Bench
In one of my comps last year I put too much money towards Johns. When he went down I had no chance. In the other one, I had a good mix without many big names and I won the comp. Picked up De Vere late after missing out on bidding for El Masri and he was great

simon says

First Grade
The beauty of VNRL is that it makes every game interesting...even a fifty point drubbing.You are watching who scores,who tackles.....any up and coming players.

I spent hundreds of hours going over stats trying to find a cheap buy.

Id be watching games where I tipped a team and jump up and down when a blke I had in my VNRL team would score.......(on the other team).People think Im mad.

Love my VNRL........i know so much more about footy than I did before cos I watch all games so keenly.Bloody great stuff IMHO.

Cheers.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
simon says said:
The beauty of VNRL is that it makes every game interesting...even a fifty point drubbing.You are watching who scores,who tackles.....any up and coming players.

Id be watching games where I tipped a team and jump up and down when a blke I had in my VNRL team would score.......(on the other team).People think Im mad.

Love my VNRL........i know so much more about footy than I did before cos I watch all games so keenly.Bloody great stuff IMHO.

Cheers.

someone needs to get out more :lol:

but VNRL is great, it makes the games so much more interesting!

thuganomics

Coach
For Halves its best to buy someone like a Ben Hornby and a Mattt Bowen, who you can also name in 5/8. That gives your backline more try scoring opputunities.

For Goal Kickers, i may take Karmichael Hunt. I believe he will take over goal kicking, and I heard he was a gun at it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:

Cheers.

Yea im like that
Be watching Bulldogs V Parramatta game and mate will ask who im going for, my reply "who cares, so long as Jamaal Lolesi scores another try, it will put me infront in one of my VNRL games"

Dog-E

Juniors
What's really sad is when u find yourself cheering against a team you've actually bet real money on - just because it's one of your VNRL players that's scoring! :lol: