What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volkman & Allan gone

Old Timer

Coach
I am not going to attempt to make this a personal debate as you have.
I'll just discuss with facts.

He was at training to continue testing as stated by the club.
He was clearly injured and reinjured at the Warriors you can not sign away liability for injuries.
His manager also signed the release before full clearance which is not standard practice.
Yes we stuffed up in announcing the signing and I stated that we may have a case to answer there.
I get that you dislike Flanno but the blame for this situation does not only fall on us.
The Warriors and his manager also played their part.
Is it a mess. Yes.
Are we part of the problem. Definitely yes.
Can all the blame for this be placed on us. NO.
LOL I'm not making it personal I'm just pointing out that you were once emphatic that he wasn't training and on that basis I suggested that you were not up to speed.

In respect of blame we can shoulder 100% of because of our usual sloppy & she'll be right methodology which by the way Flanagan is well skilled in

There was nothing hard nosed or even remotely professional in what we did and our defence of the situation will be as limp as that what which we put on the paddock.

St Tangles

Bench
LOL I'm not making it personal I'm just pointing out that you were once emphatic that he wasn't training and on that basis I suggested that you were not up to speed.

In respect of blame we can shoulder 100% of because of our usual sloppy & she'll be right methodology which by the way Flanagan is well skilled in

There was nothing hard nosed or even remotely professional in what we did and our defence of the situation will be as limp as that what which we put on the paddock.
LOL Of course you are.

And I stand by the fact he was at training as part of his assessment.

I get you hate Flanno.
But your hatred of Flanno is stopping you from seeing the whole picture and pointing the blame in more than 1 direction.

Enjoy your evening.

Last edited:

Lennyb

Juniors
This paints a bad picture on the Warriors.

Once our doctors did a simple scan after the holiday period, it was picked up.

We did make a mistake on announcing it.

But, I doubt our doctors or management would have thought that the warriors doc over the ditch was that inept or possibly corrupt.

Order of blame IMO.

1. Warriors management
2. Dodgy medicos (NZ)
3. Manager
4. Dumbass on our end that released it.

Flanno said yesterday that you had an idea of the injury and that the final contracts etc weren’t signed until he was he cleared.

He waa expected to be ok, but the due diligence paid off when he arrived and the scans showed he was far more stuffed than anyone thought.

I suppose if there is fault, it is the building up of expectations and the triumphalism when he was announced.

I thought that if he was ok, he was a solid signing and fit into the flanno model, but it wasn’t to be.

There are other halves wandering around in cup and he was better than them.

So apart from recruitment white.line.fever, and the inevitable rush for the club to sing it’s own praises at the merest sign of good fortune, no real damage done.

That’s not how it feels, I know. But if you lift the Band-Aid, there’s no infection.

A couple of panadols ( you don’t need anything stronger!) and back to market.

Mojo

Bench
I don't think the announcement is particularly relevant. We announced that we’d signed him. The conditions - and pre-conditions- of his contract will be relevant - and surely it would be subject to passing a medical assessment.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Flanno said yesterday that you had an idea of the injury and that the final contracts etc weren’t signed until he was he cleared.

He waa expected to be ok, but the due diligence paid off when he arrived and the scans showed he was far more stuffed than anyone thought.

I suppose if there is fault, it is the building up of expectations and the triumphalism when he was announced.

I thought that if he was ok, he was a solid signing and fit into the flanno model, but it wasn’t to be.

There are other halves wandering around in cup and he was better than them.

So apart from recruitment white.line.fever, and the inevitable rush for the club to sing it’s own praises at the merest sign of good fortune, no real damage done.

That’s not how it feels, I know. But if you lift the Band-Aid, there’s no infection.

A couple of panadols ( you don’t need anything stronger!) and back to market.
I hope it turns out the way that you see it Silverdale. The thing is, being the Dragons, it always turns out worse than what it is and while there may not be any infection, there is another player that we have been involved with that has tainted us for reasons that others will find.

Matiunz

Juniors
Probably a bit of blame on all parties
Likely chain of events was Volkman underplaying his injury knowing that it would push him down the pecking order in the Warriors where he was unlikely to see much gametime this season.
Volkman has been trying to get out since Chanel Harris-Tevita re-signed so a request for release wasn’t a surprise.
Volkman knowing that he likely wouldn’t get another contract if injured so again likely downplayed it or likely backed himself to rehab in time-giving up a 2 year contract to gamble of securing a starting spot/more gametime on a 1 year deal otherwise seems extremely odd behaviour.
His manager let him down terminating one contract before securing the next.
The dragons should not have announced his signing nor had him anywhere near a training field before he was medically cleared (unlikely but it opens up the possibility that the shoulder was further aggravated training with the dragons).
Warriors possibly should have looked further into his injury but given the timing before the Xmas break it was unlikely to be treated before coming back in the new year which coincides with the Dragons medical.
In summary oversights likely from both Warriors and Dragons if anything dodgy it’s likely from Volkman and his management

I don't be think the announcement is particularly relevant. We announced that we’d signed him. The conditions - and pre-conditions- of his contract will be relevant - and surely it would be subject to passing a medical assessment.

On the announcement, I just assumed he was all ok ( like 99% of announced players) and was at least going to the get a run in the charity shield.

Your are of course right at that more enlightened level. No player is bought without an 100 point NRMA inspection.

So I am close to someone who is a relative of Adam Elliot. He did attend the Tigers medical exam, it was tough but he passed it easily before Ricky pounced.

But it was probably better he ended up at the Raiders as Ricky and Co did a great job of sorting his head out.

He’s got the best parents, thrilled every time he runs out and think his aptitude for the game is a gift and good fortune.
A lovely and refreshing way to look at it instead of this a self righteousness and crap we see these days. Pa Amone…

Last edited:
I hope it turns out the way that you see it Silverdale. The thing is, being the Dragons, it always turns out worse than what it is and while there may not be any infection, there is another player that we have been involved with that has tainted us for reasons that others will find.
Interesting.

Hopefully you can share it.

BTW, Hosty will always be a Saint.

Last edited:
I had him next to Kyle in the charity shield.

Hopefully, the take away for Flanno, especially after this drama, is to play a second or third string side.

I wouldn’t mind testing new “reduction of injuries” rules etc into this exhibition. Maybe even new preventative padding etc if such stuff exists.

Crush

Coach
I’m not sure why this story is getting people so riled up, I couldn’t really give a toss.
We signed the kid pending medical, foolishly announced it before medical, thankfully found the injury, announced we wouldn’t be registering contract.
On the scale of all the screw ups over the past decade by our club, this one is pretty low on the richtor scale.
And why anyone would want to be anything but positive about Flanno at this stage I just don’t get. Isn’t it better to live life with a positive outlook? Flanno may ultimately fail but why death ride him before a ball has been kicked?
Trying to blame this Volkman thing on Flanno at this stage, please!

I’m not sure why this story is getting people so riled up, I couldn’t really give a toss.
We signed the kid pending medical, foolishly announced it before medical, thankfully found the injury, announced we wouldn’t be registering contract.
On the scale of all the screw ups over the past decade by our club, this one is pretty low on the rector scale.
And why anyone would want to be anything but positive about Flanno at this stage I just don’t get. Isn’t it better to live life with a positive outlook? Flanno may ultimately fail but why death ride him before a ball has been kicked?
Trying to blame this Volkman thing on Flanno at this stage, please!

Yeah I agree.

The other point is that Flanno is signed and it’s all done and dusted. Everyone is best supporting him as there is no option.

if he screws it up, fine. The panel will roast him. That’s expected lol.

The question was really whether Vdub (without an injury) was a sound recruit and fit the squad

That said, free forum and his critics should be heard I guess.

I can’t accept the proposition that Flanno intended this evil or was reckless or incompetent. Shiz happens.

But the club let go a few fireworks early during a high fire danger hazard day.

No need for player testimonials about Flanno ala Mary. The best person in the world lol.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Latest posts