What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Brisbane Suncorp Stadium 7.50pm Friday 22nd April

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not trolling, I just looked at all the Cowboys tries and I'll concede that in the 4th try Goodwin could have stood wider, but the Cowboys probably would have scored anyway.

Southsport brilliant from you.

You're my fellow truth teller.

Shadow is a BS artist. That's right shadow. Don't get me going even more.

Rsag85

Bench
If Nielsen plays that'll do me. I would faint!!!!!! Fug me!!!!!!!

Wake up Madge.

Drop Cam. Bring in Cook or move Keary to hooker and Cody to 6.

Piss off Tyrrell.

Drop Auva'a with Oldfield to wing and Bryson to centre.

Turner and George might not play

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
hey whats going on in here your all out of control on here thank god i was not here your all bickering like little kids and calling people bad names wake up for god's sake.

Rsag85

Bench
Pressure Gauge: Glamour Clubs' Trent Robinson And Michael Maguire Face Toughest Test Of Coaching Careers
Dan Walsh and John Dean
Source: FOX SPORTS

TRENT Robinson and Michael Maguire call the shots at Sydney's two most glamorous outfits.

At their disposal: Football departments most clubs can only dream of.

Rosters still boasting star power to rival the Milky Way, despite a few luminaries departing.

The all-important connections to the high end of town that can, depending who you talk to, decide a season before a ball is kicked.

Yet as Round 8 looms, Robinson and Maguire are each staring down the toughest tests yet of their respective careers.

The foundation rivals have come up with just four wins between them after seven rounds this year, their lowest combined return since 2011 — the last time they both missed the finals.

The defence that has taken both sides to the top of the tree since has not so much eroded as flat-out collapsed.

Souths' 44-18 capitulation to the Cowboys was the sixth time they've been beaten by a 20+ margin in their past 19 games. They had just two in their first 93 games under Maguire.

The Roosters' red zone defence is currently among the worst three performers in the league.

The famed Bondi Wall — the envy of the NRL since Robinson's arrival in 2013 — is conceding points every 9.5 tackles they make inside their own 20m line.

Defence has always been a reflection of attitude. Robinson and Maguire know better than most, attitude is a reflection of leadership.

Both are safe in their positions for now, but neither they, nor the proud operations they've built around them, will accept an extended period of mediocrity.

Welcome to the Pressure Gauge.

BRONCOS

Outs: Lachlan Maranta (Knee, Round 11), Tom Opacic (Fractured eye socket, Round 11), Joe Boyce (Shoulder, Indefinite)

It's a big week for: Corey Oates. After scoring a hat-trick against the Knights last Saturday night, the 21-year-old is mounting a strong case for Test and State of Origin selection over the coming weeks.

In calculations: Herman Ese'ese. With Alex Glenn nursing a dodgy hip, former Bulldog and 110 kilo man mountain Ese'ese is waiting in the wings.

Crystal ball: The Broncos will be far too good for the Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium.

Roosters boss John Lee and former Queensland coach Michael Hagan joins Ben Ikin, Ben Glover and Nathan Ryan to chat Origin and retention challenges.

RAIDERS

Outs: Sia Soliola (Broken arm, Round 11), Blake Austin (Hamstring, Round 9), Jeff Lima (Hand, Round 10)

It's a big week for: Aidan Sezer. The Raiders' key recruit for 2016 has been quiet since his return from a fractured eye socket suffered in round one. With halves partner Blake Austin out for another week, the onus is on Sezer to get the Green Machine firing.

In calculations: Jarrad Kennedy. The back-rower bagged two tries for Mounties in their win over Manly last weekend and could figure in Ricky Stuart's plans if more injuries hit their forward pack.

Crystal ball: Could go either way, but the Tigers in a close one.

BULLDOGS

Outs: Chase Stanley (Hamstring, Round 10), Brett Morris (Knee, Round 16)

It's a big week for: Josh Jackson. While the Bulldogs hung on for a win against the Warriors last week, Jackson wouldn't have been happy with his performance making three errors and conceding two penalties. He'll be wanting to turn that around as soon as possible, particularly with representative spots on the line in the coming weeks.

In calculations: Lloyd Perrett. The big bopper has been killing it in NSW Cup. Adam Elliott has been getting minimal game time, so Perrett may be a better option off the bench.

Crystal ball: Don't have the greatest record against the Titans, but playing at home should get them over the line.

SHARKS

Outs: Connor Tracey (ACL, Season)

It's a big week for: Paul Gallen. The Sharks skipper recently revealed he was yet to receive a phone call from Australia coach Mal Meninga so he'll be looking for another big performance to press his claims for a spot in the Kangaroos side.

In calculations: Fa'amanu Brown. The Samoan utility was Newtown's best player in their loss to Illawarra last weekend, scoring two tries in seven minutes and setting up another. He could prove a valuable addition to the Sharks' bench.

Crystal ball: Away sides have struggled at Southern Cross Group Stadium this season, and the Panthers will do the same.

TITANS

Outs: Oshae Tuiasau (MCL, Round 8), Matt Srama (Knee, Season), David Hala (Elbow, Round 12), Daniel Mortimer (Hamstring, Round 10), Greg Bird (Suspension, Round 8), Kane Elgey (ACL, Season), Ryan Simpkins (Broken jaw, Round 9), Leivaha Pulu (Ribs, Indefinite), Eddy Pettybourne (Broken finger, Indefinite), Ashley Taylor (Concussion, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Ryan James. Made an impressive 50 tackles and 153 metres against the Dragons last week to remain in the hunt for an Origin debut.

In calculations: Kierran Moseley. With Daniel Mortimer suffering a hamstring injury, the livewire No. 9 will be looking to come into the NRL side and share the hooker duties with Nathan Friend.

Crystal ball: Will give the Dogs a run for their money, but will be overpowered by the home side's monster pack.

SEA EAGLES

Outs: Jamie Buhrer (Broken thumb, Round 9), Daly Cherry-Evans (Ankle, Round 9), Tim Moltzen (Knee, Indefinite), Isaac John (Pectoral, Round 16), Matt Parcell (Hamstring, Round 9), Brenton Lawrence (Hip, Round 8), Jorge Taufua (Broken collarbone, Round 14), Jayden Hodges (ACL, Season)

It's a big week for: Api Koroisau. Daly Cherry-Evans will march back into Trent Barrett's side next week, but on current form a spot needs to be found for Koroisau as well. He can make sure of that with another strong outing against the Knights.

In calculations: Brenton Lawrence is expected back from a hip injury to bolster their front-row stocks.

Crystal ball: Should have too much fire power for the Knights, but not to the extent of the Broncos last weekend.

STORM

Outs: Billy Slater (Shoulder, Season), Will Chambers (Fractured foot, Round 19), Jeremy Hawkins (Hamstring, Round 13), Tony Tumusa (Ankle, Round 11), Curtis Scott (Broken leg, Round 11), Young Tonumaipea (Calf, Indefinite), Tim Glasby (Concussion, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Blake Green. Melbourne's attack still hasn't hit its straps yet, and as an off-contract, key component of it, Green will be after a solid showing to as he hunts a contract extension at the club.

In calculations: Christian Welch. Named on Tuesday but didn't make the cut on Sunday, Welch is waiting in the wings for a spot on Craig Bellamy's bench.

Crystal ball: Would fancy their chances against the Warriors, particularly at home. Their first and second halves against the Tigers were chalk and cheese, and they'll be hoping the latter has set the tone for a while yet.

KNIGHTS

Outs: Chanel Mata'utia (Knee, Round 16), James McManus (Concussion, Season), Kade Snowden (Various, Indefinite), Jake Mamo (Ankle, Round 8), Danny Levi (Back, Round 8), Robbie Rochow (Broken arm, Round 13), Jeremy Smith (Knee, Indefinite), Jarrod Mullen (Concussion, Round 8), Tyler Randell (Concussion, Round 8), Nathan Ross (Concussion, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Jarrod Mullen. After being ruled out of last week's game just eight minutes into the match due to concussion, the half will need to pass all the club's tests to prove he's of clear mind and able to return to play Manly on Monday.

In calculations: With Pauli Pauli expected to miss Monday's match through suspension, Josh King is in line to retain his place on the bench. The prop made his NRL debut against Brisbane last week, making 23 tackles and one line break in 33 minutes.

Crystal ball: Coming off a tough week in Brisbane they should improve at home but won't be able to match Manly.

COWBOYS

Outs: Ray Thompson (Broken leg, Round 10)

It's a big week for: Michael Morgan. Played the house down against Souths. With Johnathan Thurston to come under heavy fire from the Eels hard-nosed pack, he'll be needed again to take the heat off his senior playmaker.

In calculations: John Asiata. Dropped back to reserve grade as coaches wanted him to get a solid hit out under his belt as opposed to a 30 minute cameo stint in the top grade. Could well be back this week.

Crystal ball: At some point they'll have an off game right? But when they're in such irresistible form, it's a braver pundit than us who's willing to tip a Cowboys drop off.

EELS

Outs: Tepai Moeroa (Bone bruising to shin, Round 8), Matt Woods (Hamstring, Round 9), Luke Kelly (ACL, Season), Bevan French (Elbow, Round 10), Anthony Watmough (Knee, Indefinite), Tim Mannah (Shoulder, Round 9), Junior Paulo (Concussion, Round 8), Ryan Morgan (Knee, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Beau Scott. He's already called out Johnathan Thurston for another round of punishment. And few things get the Eels hitman out of bed in the morning like reminding playmakers just how tough this game can be.

In calculations: Kelepi Tanginoa. Hard to mess with a winning formula, but the big backrower has been killing them so far in the InTrust Super Cup for Wentworthville.

Crystal ball: They're in fair form alright, but a trip to Townsville against the red hot premiers looks a bridge too far for Parramatta just yet. Should be a cracking contest though.

PANTHERS

Outs: Dean Whare (Calf, Round 8), Viliame Kikau (Ankle, Indefinite), James Segeyaro (Broken arm, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Peta Hiku. Has started well in Panthers colours and now is set to put his hand up for the Kiwis No. 1 jersey, available due to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's season ending injury. Does face competition from own clubmate Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

In calculations: Elijah Taylor. Each week the lock is named on an extended bench and each week he ends up running around in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW.

Crystal ball: Performing far better than their 3-4 record suggests, but will struggle to improve it against a white hot Sharks team on Sunday afternoon.

RABBITOHS

Outs: John Sutton (Pectoral, Round 18), Zane Musgrove (Wrist, Indefinite), Angus Crichton (Groin, Indefinite), Alex Johnston (Hamstring, Round 8), Greg Inglis (Concussion, Round 8)

It's a big week for: Greg Inglis. Analysts say GI looks like he's playing busted but the club says he's fine. So what gives? His stats are down on previous seasons and the Rabbitohs aren't nearly as potent as they have been which means their skipper needs to lift.

In calculations: Cody Walker. Luke Keary partnered Adam Reynolds in the halves last weekend against a red hot Cowboys side. Walker was given a week off with North Sydney having the bye but the 26-year-old is pushing for an NRL recall.

Crystal ball: After suffering a 44-18 loss to the defending premiers last week, things don't get any easier with Brisbane set to run riot over the Rabbitohs at Suncorp on Friday.

DRAGONS

Outs: Dylan Farrell (Back, Indefinite), Yaw Kiti Glymin (Hamstring, Indefinite), Ben Creagh (Knee, Indefinite), Kurt Mann (Ankle, Round 8), Benji Marshall (Hamstring, Round 8), Mose Masoe (ACL, Season), Euan Aitken (Hamstring, Indefinite)

It's a big week for: Benji Marshall. His hamstrings are a week-to-week proposition at the moment, but with each win Josh McCrone delivers steering the side, the prospect of Paul McGregor giving Benji the rough end of the selection pineapple looms.

In calculations: Peter Mata'utia. Could well get another run given Euan Aitkin's hamstring issues. With talk of an early release again doing the rounds, another crack could be used to impress the Dragons hierarchy, or that of rival clubs.

Crystal ball: Got some points against the Titans, but by no means certainties to pick off the struggling Roosters. Attack still isn't offering a whole lot.

ROOSTERS

Outs: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (ACL, Round 8), Mitchell Pearce (Disciplinary, Round 9), Boyd Cordner (Pectoral, Round 8), Vincent Leuluai (Knee, Round 10), Dale Copley (Pectoral, Round 20), Ian Henderson (Broken leg, Indefinite), Sio Suia Taukieaho (Knee, Round 12)

It's a big week for: Daniel Tupou. Had a night to forget in tough conditions against Penrith with four errors, the type of performance that drops him further and further down the list of contenders for NSW wing spots.

In calculations: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Boyd Cordner. The international representatives are poised to make their return to the field on ANZAC DAY after recovering from long-term pec and knee injuries respectively.

Crystal ball: Anzac Day against a struggling Dragons outfit looms as a key juncture in their season. If their execution can match their effort, they should have a confidence boosting win in their keeping.

WARRIORS

Outs: Ben Henry (Knee, Indefinite), Nathaniel Roache (Ankle, Indefinite), Manu Vatuvei (Hamstring, Indefinite), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Knee, Indefinite)

It's a big week for: Tuimoala Lolhea. He's the Warriors' Mr Fix it. Whether he's changing the game on the wing or filling in for an injured Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at fullback, Lolohea is magic wherever you put him.

In calculations: Jeff Robson. After being axed from the NRL side, Robson and Thomas Leuluai will battle for the vacant halves position.

Crystal ball: Playing visitor to the Storm is never an easy ask. Factor in the loss of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and the job just got tougher but confidence is at a premium within the squad and they still have what it takes to get the job done in what will be a close one.

TIGERS

Outs: Matt Ballin (ACL, Round 10), Justin Hunt (Back, Round 8), Tim Simona (Suspension, Round 9), Sauaso Sue (Concussion, Round 8), Aaron Woods (Ankle, Round 11), David Nofoaluma (Knee, Indefinite)

It's a big week for: James Tedesco. He comes up against the Raiders outfit he spurned a couple of years ago to stay at Concord. He needs to fire for the Tigers to break their five-game losing streak.

In calculations: Sauaso Sue. Forced out of Sunday's heartbreaking loss to the Storm due to concussion a week earlier, Sue will offer some much needed grunt against Canberra's big men.

Crystal ball: If they produce the same whole hearted effort that was on show at Leichhardt they just might roll the Raiders — but getting consistency out of this lot is easier said than done.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's chidish to call out someone and then say the same thing.

You said something about Bryson to alien and then you agreed with him too.

You contradicted yourself shadow.

I ain't trolling. I'm speaking from the heart and with true passion mate.

What we should all be worried about is what's up with George and Kyle?????

Rabbits20

Immortal
George has a hip injury and Turner looks to be rested.

George had hip surgery though. I know the person who did it too.

How can it be stuffed again???? What's going on?????

Did Turner take more bumps against the Cowboys around the neck area????

Rsag we are in some trouble mate.

Rsag85

Bench
George had hip surgery though. I know the person who did it too.

How can it be stuffed again???? What's going on?????

Did Turner take more bumps against the Cowboys around the neck area????

Rsag we are in some trouble mate.

Carter trained at 2nd row and Siolo was there as well.

souths_pride

Juniors
The amount of effort that goes into defending goodwin on here is almost equal to the effort needed from our forwards to turn our season around. Yea we letting teams make metres up the middle, and yea teams were making line breaks, but that still doesn't excuse goodwin being so easily beaten by his winger unmarked, making pathetic arm tackle attempts and new being caught out of position repeatedly. On one occasion ethan Lowe ran straight at Goodwin on the line and goodwin jumped out of his way ffs.
Really? I don't recall that at all. I'm not for or against Goodwin, I personally think that debate is stupid; there are so many more great areas of concern at the moment within our team than Bryson Goodwin's inclusion. If you are going down that route, its pretty hard to argue against the fact that Bryson Goodwin has been our most consistent player over the last 12-18 months and has the player of the season award to prove it. In any case, most of the tries on his side came on the back of line breaks. I'd be looking at how the line break was conceded; that is of greater concern to me.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Really? I don't recall that at all. I'm not for or against Goodwin, I personally think that debate is stupid; there are so many more great areas of concern at the moment within our team than Bryson Goodwin's inclusion. If you are going down that route, its pretty hard to argue against the fact that Bryson Goodwin has been our most consistent player over the last 12-18 months and has the player of the season award to prove it. In any case, most of the tries on his side came on the back of line breaks. I'd be looking at how the line break was conceded; that is of greater concern to me.

They just have a hatred for Goodwin some on this site. I'm glad you're challenging him on it as I've tried and failed many times. They just don't get it.

Looking at how the line break was conceded is of course of a greater concern to me as well.

Of course there are bigger problems than Bryson who always has a go.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The amount of effort that goes into defending goodwin on here is almost equal to the effort needed from our forwards to turn our season around. Yea we letting teams make metres up the middle, and yea teams were making line breaks, but that still doesn't excuse goodwin being so easily beaten by his winger unmarked, making pathetic arm tackle attempts and new being caught out of position repeatedly. On one occasion ethan Lowe ran straight at Goodwin on the line and goodwin jumped out of his way ffs.

No he didn't jump out of the way.

What codswallop.

You admit you hate him and fully have it in for him and lets get on with it.

You seem to be blinded re Bryson.

souths_pride

Juniors
They just have a hatred for Goodwin some on this site. I'm glad you're challenging him on it as I've tried and failed many times. They just don't get it.

Looking at how the line break was conceded is of course of a greater concern to me as well.

Of course there are bigger problems than Bryson who always has a go.
I'm at a loss as to how anyone could be so concerned with a player of such little significance. We have so much more to be concerned about than whether or not to include Bryson Goodwin. I'd much rather everyone debate the halves combination and how to get Greg Inglis into the game or the hooking role and getting our forwards moving in the right direction. All of the aforementioned areas are of far greater importance at the moment! For god sake, you could stick Ziggy Nizscot's grand mother on the wing for all I care so long as we get the right halves combination and our forwards getting a role on!

alien

Referee
Likewise.

Bryson has to be at centre.

Cmon alien!!!!!

well i'll agree that goodwin has been playing better in the centres than auva'a so far this year. the way i was thinking is auva'a at his best is better than goodwin at his best. i like goodwin. i think he is alright, but i like my outside backs to be a bit quicker. i would be willing to give auva'a another chance

alien

Referee
1. Greg Inglis
2. Bryson Goodwin
3. Kirisome Auva'a
4. Hymel Hunt
5. Aaron Gray
6. Luke Keary
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Thomas Burgess
9. Cameron McInnes
10. David Tyrrell
11. Chris Grevsmuhl
12. Kyle Turner
13. Sam Burgess

Interchange:
14. Paul Carter
15. Jason Clark
16. Nathan Brown
17. George Burgess

yeah i think that's a fairly strong side. i know some people will hate seeing tyrrell's name in the 17, but i guess he is usually a pretty good tackler in the middle third. he probably won't have to do many hit-ups considering tom and sam will be making a lot of hit-ups up the middle third whilst he is on. it's a shame aj isn't back because we could have used his pace on the wing, instead of goodwin. hopefully gi doesn't have knee problems again - we need him near his best!