What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Bunnies

First half was awesome & Souths would have been happy to be down only 1 point down, thanks mostly to GI. We were very good, especially our halves.
Sadly it was a game of two halves :x
Disappointed but proud of them, some amazing D on the line. SJ first half also classy. Losing feels weird after what 2 months of happy endings....

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Mannering is a beast. Seriously the amount of crucial one on one tackles he makes is crazy. I don't usually do this 3-2-1 thing but I gotta give Mannering 3 points this week.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I have rarely seen a team have as much good fortune as Souths did tonight. Really hard to take.

I also thing the Sutton try was an outrageous decision and I hope Elliott fires up about it.

I felt like we played twice as well as we did against Brisbane (at least for the first 50-60 minutes) but the luck swung completely from the Brisbane match and in the end it was too much.

In theory that was a really encouraging performance and would tend to suggest we are still on a surge and should keep winning. However I fear the simple fact that we lost may kill our momentum.

Aragorn

First Grade
A great game overall.

Looked like a top of the table clash instead of #1 vs #11.

Amazing crowd, weather and atmosphere.

The good - origin play

- Mannering's last minute tackles, & the warriors scrambling defence. outstanding.

- Hurrell. A beast running over Goodwin, Inglis & McQueen for his try

- Johnson's speed

- Attack (in the first half). outstanding - players running at different angles, spotting holes and finding gaps

- Laumape. Great on attack, defence and the high ball.. Manu who?

The bad - game changers

- TL's grubber kick to the left when he had an unmarked Johnson on the right. An easy try went begging.

- the decision to take the field goal. still time on the clock . Bunnies on the back foot, shot to pieces with holes everywhere. Johnson should have backed himself or at least spun it wide to a rampaging Hurrell. 13-6 at HT ve 18-6 could have changed the context of the game.

-Locke's dropped ball that ultimately led to a Souths try & 18-13 lead. kid needs to position himself better rather than running in with those high risk, 50/50 leap forward catches.

- Hurrell's defence. Inglis was deliberating attacking his side in the second half and it paid dividends.

The ugly - brain explosions

-Johnsons kick out on the full - at a critical point in time. Handing Souths possession right on attack from which they score soon after.

-Johnsons pass to no one leading to Goodwins runaway try

-Locke's wild pass @ 65min mark after Johson 1/2 break near the try line to gift back South possession.

- Mateo's phobia with getting tackled with the ball. Does he need to try a miracle pass every f**king time?

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
- the decision to take the field goal. still time on the clock . Bunnies on the back foot, shot to pieces with holes everywhere. Johnson should have backed himself or at least spun it wide to a rampaging Hurrell. 13-6 at HT ve 18-6 could have changed the context of the game.

Agree with most of that but especially this. We had the bunnies on their backs and we should have taken the chance to jump out to an 18-6 lead. Dare I say that with the way we defended our backsides off we would have won with a 12 point lead.

Meth

Staff member
- Hurrell's defence. Inglis was deliberating attacking his side in the second half and it paid dividends.

I thought he was targeting Hurrell and Johnson all night, and their defence held up as well as I've seen from them. Although, in saying that, I'm not sure what their roles were in Goodwin's tries because my head more or less went down at that point.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Mateo's phobia with getting tackled with the ball. Does he need to try a miracle pass every f**king time?

Yeah. I just wish we could have a balance between cavalier and conservative.

beefstew

Juniors
Neilson is a big crap sandwitch!

He's only really in the team because the big genius Vatuvei needs a defensive baby sitter. If Vatuvei isn't playing, Neilson shouldn't be playing.

Other than that, the improvement in the team is spectacular from where they were 7 weeks ago, and with some fine tuning could be a serious force in the coming seasons.

spear tackle

Juniors
I suppose we can anilise what went wrong for the next two weeks but as far as I see it (even though I packed a sad at the end of the game) is we were just beaten by a better side, they have only lost twice this season so it's fair to say they really have there game on this year, and they'll have to once we get to finals time ,one loss and your gone and a lot of teams will be wondering what it was all for.

Rich102

Staff member
Our forwards held their own in the first half but in the second the Souths forwards took control.
We did well to defend so well until the end, when we opened up.

Scott

Bench
The flight was delayed. It left Akld at 7:45 pm on friday. They arrived in Perth at 9:00pm local time, which is 3:00am Saturday morning (NZ time).

It was always going to be a massive ask. Souths are the best, and showed why. I'm still confident with where it's all heading & still think we can make a dent in the finals.

Latest posts