What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Panthers rnd 17

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I've been saying most of the year that Hiku needs to be dropped. He is a completely f**king hopeless defender. It's as much attitude as it is technique. If he's on the team sheet next week SK is kidding himself.

Other thing I've said all year is our propping stocks are one of the weakest in the comp. Paasi has been of good value this year but it's not a solid, fearful unit. Hence why we're the only side in the 8 that has no shot at winning it all.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
That was f**ked. Literally our worst performance of the year, even worse than the 50 point game.

The thing that shits me is that a performance like that gives ammo to all the merkins are death riding us, expecting us to falter. That kind of display makes it real.

I still have faith but SK needs to nip that attitude stuff in the bud. If he's fair dinkum Hiku can't be in FG next week.

Being a Panthers fan isn't easy work but I'd never swap with you poor bastards. You really need a better coach who won't accept that shit

JJ

Immortal
Being a Panthers fan isn't easy work but I'd never swap with you poor bastards. You really need a better coach who won't accept that shit
Yep there remains little accountability, Hiku will continue to play and it seems to be a strategy to rely almost totally on our wings for go forward

Maumalo especially has been a huge development this year, he's so much better than last

Problem is we know what Hiku, Beale, Blair, Paasi, et al are

Not quite true, we beat the Dragons the one and only time we've played them this season so far.
I stand corrected, but they will have the chance to prove me right in round 21 4th August. :)
We have Broncos And Storm before that (Titans in that 4 game stretch looks only potential win) as well. Let's hope I'm proved wrong with wins over them.

I've been saying most of the year that Hiku needs to be dropped. He is a completely f**king hopeless defender. It's as much attitude as it is technique. If he's on the team sheet next week SK is kidding himself.

Other thing I've said all year is our propping stocks are one of the weakest in the comp. Paasi has been of good value this year but it's not a solid, fearful unit. Hence why we're the only side in the 8 that has no shot at winning it all.
If Hiku is in the team next week I'm out.
I'll catch a replay.

Not sure what coach could fix these situation with the cattle that we have.
One that gets the refs to give us a fair go?

A shoulder charge on a player in the act of scoring a try is an illegal act so a penalty try. Sin bin minimum.
Again two forward passes missed against us and some interesting calls that Channel 9 commentators couldn't see reasons.(you know you are getting screwed when Aussie commentators side with you)

But second half was pathetic due to; part attitude, part bad coaching(bench hiku), part exhaustion from defending (bad calls), part time zone difference, part average forwards and probably many other parts.

Panthers deserved the win, the young guys getting their one off shot took it. Positive note they were all Kiwis.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If Hiku is in the team next week I'm out.
I'll catch a replay.

I hear you. I watched 'highlights' again today and it was more horrific viewing than on first impression. Hiku made q whole bunch of completely limp twisted efforts that led to tries, not only that his chase backs were pathetic as well. Given this has been a regular occurrence for him, and Beale has shown enough to take his place, he 100% has to be dropped. He's 5th in the NRL for missed tackles, predominately the domain of small halves. He HAS to go and I've wanted that to happen for months.

That was one of the worst performances i can remember. We can talk about travel and time zones all we want, reality being we're going to Sydney or Brisbane if we make a final and playing in potentially the same time slot. We just turned up piss weak and got smashed by a team we should've stood up to.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I hear you. I watched 'highlights' again today and it was more horrific viewing than on first impression. Hiku made q whole bunch of completely limp twisted efforts that led to tries, not only that his chase backs were pathetic as well. Given this has been a regular occurrence for him, and Beale has shown enough to take his place, he 100% has to be dropped. He's 5th in the NRL for missed tackles, predominately the domain of small halves. He HAS to go and I've wanted that to happen for months.

That was one of the worst performances i can remember. We can talk about travel and time zones all we want, reality being we're going to Sydney or Brisbane if we make a final and playing in potentially the same time slot. We just turned up piss weak and got smashed by a team we should've stood up to.
Against a bunch of fill ins we should have been able to absorb their enthusiasm and then roll right through them... ironically the reverse kind of happened, gutless and weak IMO

That was f**ked. Literally our worst performance of the year, even worse than the 50 point game.

The thing that shits me is that a performance like that gives ammo to all the merkins are death riding us, expecting us to falter. That kind of display makes it real.

I still have faith but SK needs to nip that attitude stuff in the bud. If he's fair dinkum Hiku can't be in FG next week.
The Panthers have totally out enthused your team. Two half rookies in Jerome Luai and Tyrone May, who has played a combined total of 12 Nrl games, outplayed your halves, who have have a combined total of 373 games.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Panthers have totally out enthused your team. Two half rookies in Jerome Luai and Tyrone May, who has played a combined total of 12 Nrl games, outplayed your halves, who have have a combined total of 373 games.

Easy for them to do that on the back of dominant forwards, meanwhile SJ and Green were trying to play behind a pack of pillows who couldn’t dent the Penrith line. I’m not blaming our halves for that performance, the blame lies squarely at the feet of a soft forward pack and some non existent defence in the centres.

Easy for them to do that on the back of dominant forwards, meanwhile SJ and Green were trying to play behind a pack of pillows who couldn’t dent the Penrith line. I’m not blaming our halves for that performance, the blame lies squarely at the feet of a soft forward pack and some non existent defence in the centres.
That is true, and by a team who is younger, and less experienced.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Wheres the Hiku defenders to defend a "defence-less" Pita Hiku lol.

Kearney keeps persisting with this guy because the little good attack he does every now and then, seems to make up for his struggling defence. Not yesterday, nothing from Hiku yesterday. The Panthers knew that Hiku was crap on defence and so they went to him and boy did he deliver.

I posted this early last month...
It would be stupid to keep persisting with Hiku in the centres unless he strengthens his defence like Kata did some years back. I fear we may continue to see the opposition make yards (like good carries) half breaks or just breaks when they go at Hiku.
Yesterdays performance from Hiku was inevitable and easy for SOME to see coming. I think we'll continue to see Hiku miss tackles as long as he continues to be put at centre.

The guys an outside back.

Meth

Staff member
I have nightmares of the days when all you had to do to score against the Warriors was spread the ball wide. It's getting to that point with Hiku. He was obviously targeted by the Panthers last night and he will be again. Beale needs to be there this week. Hiku to ISP

Meth

Staff member
Hiku played well at fullback. His defence is less of an issue back there. It's too bad for him we have a pretty handy once as it is.