What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Panthers rnd 17

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
DWZ got the same against Storm last year for the same result.

Your attack needs to stand a step deeper to stop the forward passes and your halves/hooker need to learn to play back through the ruck when the edge defence is rushing(did it once and nearly scored).

The “forward passes” wouldn’t be a problem if the refs called them the right way.

Rich102

Staff member
Easy for them to do that on the back of dominant forwards, meanwhile SJ and Green were trying to play behind a pack of pillows who couldn’t dent the Penrith line. I’m not blaming our halves for that performance, the blame lies squarely at the feet of a soft forward pack and some non existent defence in the centres.

Agree on the forwards; can't agree on the halves.
On your reckoning if our forwards get dominated we lose the game. Simple?
Not quite. The role of a good half is to find a way of gaining an advantage. (Not doing the same thing over and over.)
Johnson decided after 5 minutes not to take the line on and instead to just shovel it on, kick straight to the fullback or play dummy half where he wasn't expected to do anything. The previous week he had one run in each half, Friday I don't remember him running at all.
I see plenty of games where a beaten forward pack wins. Our forwards largely held their own in the first half. It was the Panthers halves who cut us to shreds.
Some players give in too easy. Great ones never give in.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wheres the Hiku defenders to defend a "defence-less" Pita Hiku lol.

Kearney keeps persisting with this guy because the little good attack he does every now and then, seems to make up for his struggling defence. Not yesterday, nothing from Hiku yesterday. The Panthers knew that Hiku was crap on defence and so they went to him and boy did he deliver.

I posted this early last month...

Yesterdays performance from Hiku was inevitable and easy for SOME to see coming. I think we'll continue to see Hiku miss tackles as long as he continues to be put at centre.

The guys an outside back.

The issue as well was his lack of effort to track back on his defensive misses. The one for Blake's try, he cantered in a light jog after being completely bumped off. Even his face suggested 'oh well let them in, no point chasing'. I can cop the odd defensive f**k up but it's effort that is the worst thing with him. Feeble arm grabs, no desire to chase back, the guys around him just can't trust him and you're f**ked as a footy player when that's the case. He has to go.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The issue as well was his lack of effort to track back on his defensive misses. The one for Blake's try, he cantered in a light jog after being completely bumped off. Even his face suggested 'oh well let them in, no point chasing'. I can cop the odd defensive f**k up but it's effort that is the worst thing with him. Feeble arm grabs, no desire to chase back, the guys around him just can't trust him and you're f**ked as a footy player when that's the case. He has to go.
You know what? I bet you he'll have a good defensive game next week and that pisses me off because then all will be forgiven until the next time he gets exposed. Its like a cycle with this guy.

I'd drop him for Aysh but Hiku does have that solid running game that was no where to be seen last night but we know is there. I hate to sound fickle but nah Im with ya in that he has to go.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You know what? I bet you he'll have a good defensive game next week and that pisses me off because then all will be forgiven until the next time he gets exposed. Its like a cycle with this guy.

I'd drop him for Aysh but Hiku does have that solid running game that was no where to be seen last night but we know is there. I hate to sound fickle but nah Im with ya in that he has to go.

You could well be right, although he's made a habit of it this year. Missed 10 in round one, then six more times has missed 5+ tackles and a couple more 4s.

Someone might be better placed to answer this than me - is 79% tackle efficiency woeful for a centre? It's actually his best tackling season of his career. Seems woeful to me that a centre misses one of every 5 tackles he attempts, when on the edge it can be potentially dire as it was on Friday.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It isn't a great percentage but centres do tend to miss quite a few tackles compared to other position, is the hardest spot on the park to defend. Even that percentage can be a bit misleading at times, because when Hiku has been missing, they have been clean misses, where some guys will have a low efficiency, but their initial contact is enough to halt the attacker and the guys beside them come in to clean up. Matai was a guy that had a high number of tackles classed as misses, but his initial contact was effective enough to shut the play down

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Agree on the forwards; can't agree on the halves.
On your reckoning if our forwards get dominated we lose the game. Simple?
Not quite. The role of a good half is to find a way of gaining an advantage. (Not doing the same thing over and over.)
Johnson decided after 5 minutes not to take the line on and instead to just shovel it on, kick straight to the fullback or play dummy half where he wasn't expected to do anything. The previous week he had one run in each half, Friday I don't remember him running at all.
I see plenty of games where a beaten forward pack wins. Our forwards largely held their own in the first half. It was the Panthers halves who cut us to shreds.
Some players give in too easy. Great ones never give in.
Unfortunately have to conclude (still) that Johnson is a top notch downhill skier

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It isn't a great percentage but centres do tend to miss quite a few tackles compared to other position, is the hardest spot on the park to defend. Even that percentage can be a bit misleading at times, because when Hiku has been missing, they have been clean misses, where so guys will have a low efficiency, but their initial contact is enough to halt the attacker and the guys beside them come in to clean up. Matai was a guy that had a high number of tackles classed as misses, but his initial contact was effective enough to shut the play down

OK fair enough. Won't pick up in stats but the amount of misses that directly contribute to tries or at least line breaks are insanely high. Bodene Thompson was the same in his last year with us, he kept falling off tackles that directly led to points. Remember him missing 3 or so that directly led to tries v the Dragons at Hamilton in a similarly dire performance to Hiku on Friday.

Blair

Coach
I'll have to read through this thread because I actually don't remember a lot about the game. Free piss does that.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
OK fair enough. Won't pick up in stats but the amount of misses that directly contribute to tries or at least line breaks are insanely high. Bodene Thompson was the same in his last year with us, he kept falling off tackles that directly led to points. Remember him missing 3 or so that directly led to tries v the Dragons at Hamilton in a similarly dire performance to Hiku on Friday.

There is a stat I saw at the end of last year for try causes which was very interesting, would love to see it again this year but some NRL stats are bloody hard to find

Just found the article, you might be interested in the read https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/the-best-and-worst-defensive-centres-in-the-nrl/

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
...If Warriors where to do one of the things they implemented.
We would have a hotel in Sydney, Melbourne etc we always stay in.
Each player would sleep on the same mattress (yes ship them around the country) and we would have our own cleaning team move in to set the rooms up.

Some of the little things they did seemed like they wouldn't do much but they all added up.

Back to the hotel and sent straight to bed without any supper would've been on the cards last Friday night.

Blair

Coach
Hiku missing crucial tackles ring any bells?...

Yeah. Although I'm generally not a scapegoater. Hiku's been good at times this year (as you've said too). However, he's seriously slipped into that 'definite liability' category now. That was quite clear on Friday night.

This thread was like wading through treacle. I feel sorry for anyone watching that sober, or even paying for your drinks. Either of those two scenarios and I'd rather sit home and watch Coronation Street with mum on a Friday night. It'd be more entertaining that's for sure.