What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Roosters 🐓 Rd 6 2022

Brown must be on some good stuff!
So calm in press conference, has he not seen the rewards other coaches got the week after a ref complaint?
Aggressive team deserves 50/50 calls and they the aggressor.
Even went into bat for Roosters with Creighton's tackle on Kosi.
Praised Roosters line speed (helps when it's only 8m).
Weird.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly I’m getting sick of the bullshit. Maybe it’s bias I dunno - I used to be in favour of the biff and all that but it’s 2022 and we need to get a grip. JWH has put on dog shots every week for 13 years, just about decapitates Pene - why is it that ‘rugby league culture’ feels the need to defend him? Kosi was obviously trying to get out of the in goal, Radley (another almost relentless repeat offender) just about decapitates him - ‘oh but he was so low’. Radley knew exactly what was happening and 90% of Kosi’s body isn’t his head. Why do we just excuse what is obvious bullshit?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I personally am comfortable with the AFB challenge being called a knock on, but then the Crichton one HAS TO be a knock on and maybe a penalty against him. I’m all for putting a premium on ball security but you can’t then switch up and reward a guy who gets smashed in a dominant tackle and tries to play the ball incorrectly.
Yeah that was the insult, the inconsistency. And the fact that they were both on challenges meaning we lost ours and they didn’t made it even worse

LeagueNut

First Grade
I must be going mad. I thought our performance yesterday was shite, apart from the first 20-ish minutes. It looked identical to our other five performances this year. People keep saying we're improving, we're showing promise, the media keep calling us 'gallant' or 'brave', but I just don't see it at all.

The top class players like AFB or SJ seem to be more concerned about their own individual performance than team performance. I guess that's why there seems to be a void on leadership and direction out there. Weren't we all promised SJ would be providing organisation and structure to our attack? There was one good play yesterday that gave us the Kosi try and then Johnson went back to being the invisible man. Even that flukey play involving Walsh and the DWZ try - it absolutely looked like SJ looked up, had no ideas, and thought "f**k it, might as well pass it inside".

Curran seems to be trying his arse off in the back row but Sironen and Aitken are doing f**k all beside him.

Kodi comes on for 10-15 minutes per game, does absolutely nothing, then shuffles off again. He looks about as interested as an abandoned wheelie bin.

Younger players like Walsh and Katoa look like their coaching is just 30-second conversations of "keep doing what you did when we first picked you". Walsh especially looks like his only role is to provide improvised spark, there's nothing to suggest he's got any structure, any set plays, any identity within the team.

There was one moment yesterday that summed up this team for me. It was within the last couple of minutes, we were 8 points down and at the wrong end of the field. The ball went dead and the Warriors were awarded a 20 metre tap, seven tackle set. I reckon every single other player in the comp would have picked up the ball and headed straight for the 20 metre line at top speed. We just picked up the ball and looked aimlessly around at the ref before ambling up to take the tap. Absolutely zero urgency, zero desire, zero interest. Get f**ked.

I really really want to be wrong. I really want everyone to point out that I'm horribly ignorant and that we're going much better than I'm giving them credit for. I really want our homecoming to be a meaningful celebration and something that can help our push towards a high table finish. But I just don't see it.

JJ

Immortal
I must be going mad. I thought our performance yesterday was shite, apart from the first 20-ish minutes. It looked identical to our other five performances this year. People keep saying we're improving, we're showing promise, the media keep calling us 'gallant' or 'brave', but I just don't see it at all.

The top class players like AFB or SJ seem to be more concerned about their own individual performance than team performance. I guess that's why there seems to be a void on leadership and direction out there. Weren't we all promised SJ would be providing organisation and structure to our attack? There was one good play yesterday that gave us the Kosi try and then Johnson went back to being the invisible man. Even that flukey play involving Walsh and the DWZ try - it absolutely looked like SJ looked up, had no ideas, and thought "f**k it, might as well pass it inside".

Curran seems to be trying his arse off in the back row but Sironen and Aitken are doing f**k all beside him.

Kodi comes on for 10-15 minutes per game, does absolutely nothing, then shuffles off again. He looks about as interested as an abandoned wheelie bin.

Younger players like Walsh and Katoa look like their coaching is just 30-second conversations of "keep doing what you did when we first picked you". Walsh especially looks like his only role is to provide improvised spark, there's nothing to suggest he's got any structure, any set plays, any identity within the team.

There was one moment yesterday that summed up this team for me. It was within the last couple of minutes, we were 8 points down and at the wrong end of the field. The ball went dead and the Warriors were awarded a 20 metre tap, seven tackle set. I reckon every single other player in the comp would have picked up the ball and headed straight for the 20 metre line at top speed. We just picked up the ball and looked aimlessly around at the ref before ambling up to take the tap. Absolutely zero urgency, zero desire, zero interest. Get f**ked.

I really really want to be wrong. I really want everyone to point out that I'm horribly ignorant and that we're going much better than I'm giving them credit for. I really want our homecoming to be a meaningful celebration and something that can help our push towards a high table finish. But I just don't see it.
Think I agree with a large amount of that - not the criticism of Aitken. I'll re-watch, my initial impression was based on the Roosters being one of the better sides, the first decent team we've played, and we showed up... Kodi is a complete waste, but I agree beyond individual effort I am not sure there's any obvious structure/style - which of course comes back to coaching and culture...

There are so many awful teams this year, we are a real chance to make the 8, and then they'll extend Brown's contract etc etc

Benek

Juniors
Roosters line speed was insane all game, and we didn’t have a strategy against it.

What I saw was a lot of 2 out passes too deep behind the line. By the time the ball runner got moving the defense was already in his face before he got back to the advantage line. Our distribution was both too slow and too deep. Had we played much flatter and moved those two passes wide instead of backwards, we would have moved their line around more and created more space to run. Combine that with the occasional dart from dummy half and more second phase play and we could have been far more effective. In the second half we started getting even less expansive, which played right into their hands and allowed the chooks the continue to smother us up the middle.

TheDMC

Bench
Roosters line speed was insane all game, and we didn’t have a strategy against it.

What I saw was a lot of 2 out passes too deep behind the line. By the time the ball runner got moving the defense was already in his face before he got back to the advantage line. Our distribution was both too slow and too deep. Had we played much flatter and moved those two passes wide instead of backwards, we would have moved their line around more and created more space to run. Combine that with the occasional dart from dummy half and more second phase play and we could have been far more effective. In the second half we started getting even less expansive, which played right into their hands and allowed the chooks the continue to smother us up the middle.
Agree with all of the above. From what I've seen so far this year and also last year, if we get an early led in matches our attack then closes up shop and will only try and reignite once we are behind later in the game. Really bizarre.

Scott

Bench
Said it last week, will say it again - we don't yet appear to have anything beyond 2nd gear. We are brave, committed etc, but not able to find much with the ball. We need to be better there. Hopefully its not too far away. Encouraging signs though.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I like the fact that no one bitched about the ref post game and that the reflection was introspective. Brown is having an impact

I like the fact that no one bitched about the ref post game and that the reflection was introspective. Brown is having an impact
As long as it is being approached behind closed doors for explanations. It's pretty bad when it has been spoke about so much by Titans and Cowboys

Meth

Staff member
I must be going mad. I thought our performance yesterday was shite, apart from the first 20-ish minutes.

Yeah, I kinda felt like we were just waiting for the Roosters to click and beat us. Wasn't all that inspired by it.

I personally am comfortable with the AFB challenge being called a knock on, but then the Crichton one HAS TO be a knock on and maybe a penalty against him. I’m all for putting a premium on ball security but you can’t then switch up and reward a guy who gets smashed in a dominant tackle and tries to play the ball incorrectly.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/04/19/annesley-addresses-misconception-about-bottom-teams/

Addressed right at the bottom.
Nothing of Bunker calling no strip on Walsh for try.

Acknowledged on NRL360 by Kent and Crawley, several rough calls and Tedesco should have been in the bin!
Also called out that unconscious bias is exactly that, so refs/NLR can't acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Tongue

Juniors
Right at the bottom of the article on biased refereeing.
‘But he did state there had been bunker inconsistencies in the Roosters' win over the Warriors.

Annesley was unimpressed the Roosters were handed a ruck penalty late in the game while the Warriors were denied one for a similar infringement earlier.

Both decisions were made by the bunker after a captain's challenge when knock-ons were called on-field.’

Benek

Juniors
Bit of a bump, here is an interesting read with analysis of which teams have been hammered by the officials so far this season

Wow. Those numbers don't lie. The Warriors really do get hammered by the refs, and the Storm really do get massive help from them.

The Storm have always been leading the way in wrestling in the tackle that I find it amazing they are one of the least penalised teams.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wow. Those numbers don't lie. The Warriors really do get hammered by the refs, and the Storm really do get massive help from them.

The Storm have always been leading the way in wrestling in the tackle that I find it amazing they are one of the least penalised teams.
Penriths 6 again ratio has been like that since the start of last season too

for us if Jake T looks at the ref he gets pinged these day

Latest posts