What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Tigers

Iafeta

Referee
The move that put Tupou over was so basic, yet so well constructed... was anyone even touched in the entire play? If they want to get Vatuvei's confidence up they need to be giving him similar opportunities. I can't recall Manu getting too many opportunities aside from cross field bombs this year. It'd be nice to see them a few times a game get a nice wide shift with men in motion to either side of the field... Hurrell on one side, Vatuvei on the other, there are definitely opportunities to exploit.

That said, I think a week in the Vulcans if Locke is available would do him the world of good. I thought Fisiiahi was quite good last night so would like him to get another shot given his prodigious talent.

I'm not saying have him in the middle, i'm saying move the ball towards his wing, center or half drifts toward the sideline and he cuts back inside--fairly standard center to wing play. His size alone means the defense will shove across to stop him, and he'll always suck in an extra tackler, thus giving us more space and time across the other side of the field.

Oh right, misunderstood you. That should definitely be happening. It probably doesn't help that he hasn't had a stable centre partner for years.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Just on another positive note, could that last Warriors try be a contender for "Try of the Year"? Awesome effort.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
He still runs and hits harder than any other player on the park and you still take him or leave him. We've been taking him for the last 8 years and I fail to see what's changed.

Yip runs harder and hits harder than anyone- so chuck him in the backrow row. He would be a weapon coming off the back of a quick play the ball from mutts or rapira. Or hitting holes off sj.
People don't think he could defend in the middle but I think he would thrive on it and so would the rest of the pack. Go on let's give it a go- once we do we will wonder why we waited so long IMO

Micistm

Bench
What could possibly go wrong from here?

The perfect example of a 'Nek Minnit' moment...

Saw Mannering on Prime news before post match. I calmed down a bit after that. He looked shattered, felt really sorry for them. Sometimes I gotta remind myself they don't make things go deliberately wrong just to piss me off:lol:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Also- T-Rex was a back-rower in the first place (2007 Junior Roos back rower). Manu has always been a wing/centre, since he was a kid. T-Rex was moved back to the back row because playing him on the wing never quite worked out- Manu has been a world class winger for years and has no back-row experience at all. It's a crap comparison all-round.

In the 20s, T Rex was always a centre, made the team of the year playing there and his initial chance in the NRL was on the wing

Manly signed him in 2009 with the intentions of using him in the back row but longterm injuries to B Stewart and the Wolfman along with Lyon and Matai missing games here and there meant it took a long time to get him where he is now

And after all that work we could bloody lose him now

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
In the 20s, T Rex was always a centre, made the team of the year playing there and his initial chance in the NRL was on the wing

Manly signed him in 2009 with the intentions of using him in the back row but longterm injuries to B Stewart and the Wolfman along with Lyon and Matai missing games here and there meant it took a long time to get him where he is now

Yeah so he played a mixture of back-row/wing/centre. 2007 he was a back rower for the Jnr Roos, 2008 he played in the centres but also played wing in first grade for Parra, and as you say Manly intended to play him in the forwards. Nothing like Manu at all really.

TheDMC

Bench
I couldn't catch the game on telly so listened to it on radio...we give our props big wraps and talk them up as the best, or one of the best rotations in the NRL, but stats wise they got bitched by the Tigs:

Main prop pairings...

Woods and Galloway v Big Ben and Lillyman

Pairing Hit Ups Meters Tackles

W&G 21 364 62
BB&L 15 186 43

Owned.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
:lol: you do realise that they played about 50 more minutes? Kinda happens when we have 4 good props and they only had 2.

The only thing you can take from that is they made metres per hitup. And while Woods and Galloway were good I hardly think we got dominated in the forward battle anyway and was not a major reason why we lost.

_addict

Juniors
Woods and Galloway were enormous for them in that game. Both our hitups and line defence were pretty lethargic though. Our second row outshone our front I thought, but the stats were on the whole attributable to the way our team played rather than just the forwards

TheDMC

Bench
:lol: you do realise that they played about 50 more minutes? Kinda happens when we have 4 good props and they only had 2.

The only thing you can take from that is they made metres per hitup. And while Woods and Galloway were good I hardly think we got dominated in the forward battle anyway and was not a major reason why we lost.

Yes I do realise we spread the props and minutes around more, and the stats are just an indicator, but I would rather have two players doing the work of four anyday...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
.....if anything if Lilyman and Matulino had played an extra 50 mins so they were level with Woods and Galloway they would have made more tackles and more hitups so I'm not particulary sure what your point is at all. Probably not as many metres gained but thats was down to our bad line speed.