What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Titans Rd5

Blair

Coach
You can't bring me down JJ. I'm drunk, and they won! :smile:

If it was Saturday I'd be happily pickled as well. Late Sunday arvo, I'm just happy with being happy. There was that old feeling coming back there, we had energy and passion.

The Titans had no bench though, through injury, but that's not our fault.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I know they played a pretty depleted team, riddled with injury before the game and during the game, but there was also some good passion and intensity shown by some of those guys, they fought back from being down, and the spine finally together showed a lot of promise. There's some things to be excited about there.

They need someone better out wide to convert on the chances this spine is going to make though.

Blair

Coach
...They need someone better out wide to convert on the chances this spine is going to make though.

In the NRL you don't get much better than Fusitua and Vatuvei out wide. So I think we have good options to convert those chances.

WellsNZ

Juniors
In the NRL you don't get much better than Fusitua and Vatuvei out wide. So I think we have good options to convert those chances.

Yeah not so much calling out Fus who on the wing is about as good as it gets, but the other side is where attacking chances go to die and I'm not really convinced Manu exists anymore.

Delayed review.
Ground looked in average condition.
Things started well with RTS chasing a SJ bomb.
Good to see Luke running from dummy half.
Gavet played with energy.
Lisone made some critical mistakes in first half.
Ashyford missed some tackles that lead to tries and didn't want to pass to Fus all game!
Our outside backs not communicating in defense.
Foran played well, great to see him get a try!
Luke best game in Warriors colours(except for knock on with 10 to go).
Hoffman attempting a field goal!!!!
Then backs it up with the winning try.

If we can sort out communication in defense, run out the silly mistakes and penalties we should be competitive.

Titans had no one left on the bench, so really not a fair gauge.
Foran will hopefully get better.

Press Conference:
Kearney happy, but plenty of improvement needed.
Titans throw some footy at you.
Luke's running game need a platform to work off. He took his opportunities tonight. Felt forwards did well last week, we just didn't hold ball.
Deflected questions on Forans infulance to talk about whole spine. Unsurprised by how well Foran played today, he looked tired but pulled up well.

RTS felt spine demanded where team went, Foran changes how him and SJ can play off him. Luke's tackle to cause knock on sparked up the team. Commited to "it"in second half was difference.

Kearney: Foran anxious during week from media buildup. He will be better next week. Set himself to play and wanted to get out there.
Wacking a few backs in the box in final 10 mins, not happy the Hoffman got the ball on final play, not sure if he looks like Fozz out there.
Credit to titans with injuries and still threw everything at us.
Thompson has tendonitis in his ankles in pre season advised not to put him back out.
Hoffman's try was a trained move, recipient of a pretty good team effort.

jaseg

Juniors
Not just missed, but the ineffectives... how many tries came off the back of offloads? Two? Three? Then compounded by terrible/lazy misses.

Good work by the middles, you can only beat what's in front of you.

That said - it was terrible opposition they faced, so not exactly a reliable marker that this is a turnaround for them. That myth James, the decent but totally overworked Wallace, Pulu started well but faded hard and Peteru/King are just ok low minute guys.. Grevsmuhl in first game for ages too, had to cover wide for some of it.

I liked the low error rate and spine players not being morons and actually squaring up defensive lines to create space outside them. If Luke isn't running, he isn't good... so keep those little legs moving fella!

I hope we aren't fooled into thinking we would go anywhere near the top 6 teams on that performance, but it gives us hope for improvement.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I hope we aren't fooled into thinking we would go anywhere near the top 6 teams on that performance, but it gives us hope for improvement.

I don't think anyone is. But we can go into the Eels game looking forward to a contest, if we'd dropped that one we'd be abandoning all hope against anyone bar the bottom 3 sides. As it is there's enough there to show that the side has what it takes to perform well if they improve he right areas. It's an improvement on last weeks "where do we go now?" sentiment.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Titans are definitely a bottom 3 club, so that had to be won.

There were good signs, and there's optimism that if Ben comes back into a pack that competes like that, we might be okay. Still, awful first half we had to wake up from and Titans being 1 man on the bench and already understrength helped. Eels will be better next week.

I guess I didn't consider we played with a 2 man bench as well, Hingo didn't get on at all and Thompson didn't return in second half.

No points scored against us in second half.

Eels are a middle table team, a bit hot and cold. Will be an interesting next test.enjoyed hearing Foran shouting out instructions and calls I could hear at stoppages in play. Well I assumed him as hadn't heard it previously.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I guess I didn't consider we played with a 2 man bench as well, Hingo didn't get on at all and Thompson didn't return in second half.

No points scored against us in second half.

Eels are a middle table team, a bit hot and cold. Will be an interesting next test.enjoyed hearing Foran shouting out instructions and calls I could hear at stoppages in play. Well I assumed him as hadn't heard it previously.

SJ mentioned that Foran was vocal and that he really enjoyed having someone else to help order the players around, so I'd say it was him.