What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
Great positive article

so it looks like this bid will be wholly owned by the bears. It says they have lined up 3 investors already and vlandys knows who they are

bringing back the bears is going to be like the return of souths

I suspect a lot of people will have them as their second team

Omott91

Juniors
Great positive article

so it looks like this bid will be wholly owned by the bears. It says they have lined up 3 investors already and vlandys knows who they are

Should not be owned by Bear's. Perth side of things should own the club with Bear's branding.

Canard

Immortal
This is why listening to some of the outlandish people on here is a waste of time

the bears literally are saying they want at most two home games in Sydney.

they are being totally reasonable about this
How could anyone of sane mind argue that Sydney should have even more games then currently?

Great positive article

What a terrible idea, the people of WA will not embrace that model, and nor should they.

Luckily for all concerned this is all a beat up.

blukablu

Juniors
Great positive article

Despite all the support and goodwill, Souths were still a failure and would have 100% folded 10 years ago if it wasn't for Russell Crowe.

Is Chris Hemsworth a massive Bears fan?

Wb1234

Referee
Despite all the support and goodwill, Souths were still a failure and would have 100% folded 10 years ago if it wasn't for Russell Crowe.

Is Chris Hemsworth a massive Bears fan?
If you read the article you wouldn’t need to ask this question

but yeh 30k members they would’ve failed lmao

Crowe doesn’t put in any money into south’s as they make a profit without a leagues club which norths actually do

The Moreton Bay stadium and Moreton Bay Dolphins will almost certainly come mate, but for now they are starting at Suncorp to build a fan base city wide (and obviously because it is the most appropriate venue).
If they build a fanbase across the city then they'll be mad to relocate permanently to Moreton Bay. I fear they've done it all wrong, starting with the design of Dolphin Oval. It needed to be no smaller than 25k and have two tiers on each stand.

reanimate

Bench
Allowing any home games in Sydney will doom the whole Perth Bears idea. There’s a reason why the Swans went the whole hog in Sydney in terms of home games and only maintained a merchandising and away memberships office in Victoria. The Bears will white ant the whole WA operation and slowly push more and more home games back to Sydney if they get the sense Sydney games are allowed. They should have been finished off as a potential first grade team decades ago and we should be discussing a wholly WA-owned Pirates/Reds team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to hear!

Perth syndicate wants stand alone NRL side but willing to talk with North Sydney Bears​

The Perth syndicate hoping to build a stand alone NRL expansion franchise is pushing ahead with their plan - but are happy to talk with the North Sydney Bears who are investigating a radical cross-country club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trevor Robb lobbed in Australia as a young boy, not knowing rugby league even existed.

There was only one football god in Robb's life, and he kicked a round ball for a mob by the name of Manchester United.

George Best remains his hero to this day – the off-field "career" only adding to the Northern Irishman's legend – but life changed in an unexpected way one sunny winter's afternoon in Sydney's south.
Taking his thick Northern Irish accent with him to Endeavour Field in the mid-70s, young Robb happened upon the Cronulla Sharks on one of their "on" days.

He was transfixed.

"I didn’t know a lot about the game that day but I couldn’t take my eyes off the number three for Cronulla," he told Yahoo Sports Australia, nearly five decades later.

I just knew by the way he moved he was something special. You could just tell by the way the crowd reacted each time he got the ball that he was a class above the average.

"He hooked me in"

Robb wasn't the first fan to fall in love with rugby league thanks to Steve Rogers, but the bond isn’t as strong as it once was following a move to Western Australia 23 years ago.

Rugby league has been largely out of sight, out of mind in WA since the Western Reds folded in 1997.

The likes of Robb and thousands of eastern state expats have either drifted away from the game or lived off the few scraps thrown their way by clubs shifting home games to Perth on the back of state government inducements.

State of Origin returns to Perth​

The rugby league caravan makes a brief stop again on Sunday when Origin II is played at the impressive Optus Stadium – a sell-out crowd going with the 60,000 who poured into watch game two in 2019.

It's again led to talk the NRL should venture back into this forgotten frontier and plant an 18th team in a state which has shown a clear appetite for the game.

The only question is: what would the new franchise look like?

North Sydney Bears chairman Daniel Dickson is in town with former star Billy Moore, spruiking the red and blacks as a viable partner for any WA consortium.

The plan involves dropping the "North Sydney" from their name but playing a handful of games each year back at North Sydney Oval.
Dickson is open to any avenue back to the big time but warned his club would "not prostitute" its logo, colours, history, heritage or song.

So where does that leave a Perth-backed bid, which will surely insist it adopts its own identity to win over the most parochial fan base in the country?

Sports-mad Robb, having spent his adult life in either NSW or WA, is a great barometer to the mood among fans.

"They definitely would want a stand-alone club. They won't cop a hybrid," he said.

"There's a lot of interest in the game over here but it won't work if they split the home games.

"They just won’t get the support they're looking for."

Trevor Robb lobbed in Australia as a young boy, not knowing rugby league even existed.

There was only one football god in Robb's life, and he kicked a round ball for a mob by the name of Manchester United.

George Best remains his hero to this day – the off-field "career" only adding to the Northern Irishman's legend – but life changed in an unexpected way one sunny winter's afternoon in Sydney's south.
Taking his thick Northern Irish accent with him to Endeavour Field in the mid-70s, young Robb happened upon the Cronulla Sharks on one of their "on" days.

He was transfixed.

"I didn’t know a lot about the game that day but I couldn’t take my eyes off the number three for Cronulla," he told Yahoo Sports Australia, nearly five decades later.

I just knew by the way he moved he was something special. You could just tell by the way the crowd reacted each time he got the ball that he was a class above the average.

"He hooked me in"

Robb wasn't the first fan to fall in love with rugby league thanks to Steve Rogers, but the bond isn’t as strong as it once was following a move to Western Australia 23 years ago.

Rugby league has been largely out of sight, out of mind in WA since the Western Reds folded in 1997.

The likes of Robb and thousands of eastern state expats have either drifted away from the game or lived off the few scraps thrown their way by clubs shifting home games to Perth on the back of state government inducements.

State of Origin returns to Perth​

The rugby league caravan makes a brief stop again on Sunday when Origin II is played at the impressive Optus Stadium – a sell-out crowd going with the 60,000 who poured into watch game two in 2019.

It's again led to talk the NRL should venture back into this forgotten frontier and plant an 18th team in a state which has shown a clear appetite for the game.

The only question is: what would the new franchise look like?

North Sydney Bears chairman Daniel Dickson is in town with former star Billy Moore, spruiking the red and blacks as a viable partner for any WA consortium.

The plan involves dropping the "North Sydney" from their name but playing a handful of games each year back at North Sydney Oval.
Dickson is open to any avenue back to the big time but warned his club would "not prostitute" its logo, colours, history, heritage or song.

So where does that leave a Perth-backed bid, which will surely insist it adopts its own identity to win over the most parochial fan base in the country?

Sports-mad Robb, having spent his adult life in either NSW or WA, is a great barometer to the mood among fans.

"They definitely would want a stand-alone club. They won't cop a hybrid," he said.

"There's a lot of interest in the game over here but it won't work if they split the home games.

"They just won’t get the support they're looking for."

The Bears need to accept their status as a second-tier club and let the game grow.

That's almost certainly the way things will go anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that unless they see significant success on the pitch basically straight away, that they'll look to get Dolphin Stadium, or another venue in or close to Redcliffe, upgraded to be their fulltime home within the next few decades. Even if they are competitive that will only delay things anyway.

In other words it's only a matter of time before they abandon any pretence of attempting to be a Brisbane/pseudo SEQ club, and move back to Redcliffe to try and better connect with their main audience by playing out of a glorified suburban ground in front of suburban audiences.

Which, BTW, pretty much encapsulates why their bid should have been thrown straight in the trash.
PVL rushed into expansion without thinking it through. He has set Redcliffe up to fail.

mongoose

Coach
How could anyone of sane mind argue that Sydney should have even more games then currently?
Pippen, Siv, Wb1234 all think this way... i'm not sure they have ever ventured out of Sydney. They're like Matt Thompson (commentator from west sydney) last night who thought the postcodes on the Queenslanders shirts were all Brisbane postcodes and Cherbourg was in Brisbane, but yep it's the Queenslanders who are uneducated and have two heads lol

Wb1234

Referee
Pippen, Siv, Wb1234 all think this way... i'm not sure they have ever ventured out of Sydney. They're like Matt Thompson (commentator from west sydney) last night who thought the postcodes on the Queenslanders shirts were all Brisbane postcodes and Cherbourg was in Brisbane, but yep it's the Queenslanders who are uneducated and have two heads lol
PVL rushed into expansion without thinking it through. He has set Redcliffe up to fail.
Well
Allowing any home games in Sydney will doom the whole Perth Bears idea. There’s a reason why the Swans went the whole hog in Sydney in terms of home games and only maintained a merchandising and away memberships office in Victoria. The Bears will white ant the whole WA operation and slowly push more and more home games back to Sydney if they get the sense Sydney games are allowed. They should have been finished off as a potential first grade team decades ago and we should be discussing a wholly WA-owned Pirates/Reds team.
Well if you care so much about Perth let the bears come back to Sydney and manly can move go Perth then lol

Wb1234

Referee
Actually I went to Gold Coast once for schoolies

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sentiment has certainly changed from perth fans if social media is anything to go by. I think we were all open to the idea when it first started but the more this guy talks the more fans here are saying go it alone and leave the Bears in Sydney as the Roosters bitches.