What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

gallagher

Juniors
There's a political party in Western Australia called WAexit. The WA Liberal Party even supported a secession motion.

Former Western Australia Premier Richard Court spoke publicly about secession in 2008.

In 2011 the Minister for Mines and Petroleum, Norman Moore, said Western Australia should secede.

A recent poll found almost 3 in 10 Western Australians want to secede.

The New York Times spoke about Western Australia wanting to secede in 2013.

There's been movements pushing for secession since the 1930s.

People you know may not talk about it, but there's plenty of people who do. Western Australians never wanted to be part of Australia at Confederation.

Plenty of North Queenslanders want to secede from the rest of Queensland because they're sick of the revenue they generate being squandered on South East Queensland. Mayors all across North Queensland want to secede.

7,900 out of 2.6 mill voted for WAexit party in last year's election. Not sure if call that plenty of people.

Canard

Immortal
7,900 out of 2.6 mill voted for WAexit party in last year's election. Not sure if call that plenty of people.

I don't think the poster made the point well, but its hardly controversial to say that residents can be parochial.

For example, relocating the Bears to Townsville in 1995 would not be considered an amazing coup for Queenslanders.

All the history and "brand" of this club resides in the North Shore (or did reside there a quarter of a century ago), its meaning and impact on Western Australians is less than zero.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think the poster made the point well, but its hardly controversial to say that residents can be parochial.

For example, relocating the Bears to Townsville in 1995 would not be considered an amazing coup for Queenslanders.

All the history and "brand" of this club resides in the North Shore (or did reside there a quarter of a century ago), its meaning and impact on Western Australians is less than zero.
From our point of view their heritage has no meaning, we just want an nrl club in perth lol. If it’s called pirates,reds, bears or bloody quokkas matters little to most fans here it would seem.

gallagher

Juniors

As long as it's run from WA and has at least 10 games here I'm happy to get behind it. But I'll wait to see what the New York Times says.

Iamback

Coach
Not really, it tends to be the gap for a lot of clubs between fc revenue and overall expenditure. it’s around 3-5% of revenue for most clubs.

Even if they run and finance the junior development program. With the odd game at the SFS.

Leaves the Perth side of it to build the roster etc which is the hard part

Menaiduck

Juniors
Interestingly the north Sydney region has around 900 registered players at 8 clubs players compared to over 3000 in WA at 26 clubs.
I think north Sydney will be more than that this year but nothing like 3000. I thought w was closer to 4000 by the way. It’s very hard to trace the number of teams playing under 12s there. They aren’t listed on Play Rugby League. Do you know a source? It’s one of my pet subjects. And yes that’s sad!

From our point of view their heritage has no meaning, we just want an nrl club in perth lol. If it’s called pirates,reds, bears or bloody quokkas matters little to most fans here it would seem.
Are these people born and bred Western Australians or immigrants from the east coast, England and New Zealand who love rugby league and just want a team to support?

Perth needs a team that will appeal to everyone, from rusted on rugby league fans who've migrated to Western Australia to parochial locals who are unfamiliar with the game. The Storm's fanbase consists of immigrants who love rugby league and born and bred Victorians who've adopted them as their second club behind their AwFuL team.

If the Storm were a relocated Sydney team then how many parochial Victorians would get behind them?

Allso, didn't the article mention that the WA government were in Brisbane to talk to a few clubs?

For all we know they might prefer to buy into an existing NRL club, but News Ltd wouldn't run a story on that because it doesn't match their agenda. They know a Bears story will sell papers in Sydney.

You don't think that's because WAXIT is a minor party with little funding to promote themselves and went into the election with just one policy?

Plenty of people smoke marijuana, but it hasn't translated into the Marijuana Party getting their vote.

Most voters are rusted on to Labor or LNP and won't budge from their position. A smaller block with no allegiance will change their vote based on policies that affect them. It doesn't mean they don't agree with some of the sentiments of the minor parties.

Everyone knows we live in a two party system, so why waste a vote on a minor party that won't get in?

As for your comment about taking two games to Sydney. That's a surefire way of getting parochial Western Australians offside. The Swans and Lions never took games to Melbourne, despite them being relocated clubs that weren't dead for 23 years before making the move interstate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think north Sydney will be more than that this year but nothing like 3000. I thought w was closer to 4000 by the way. It’s very hard to trace the number of teams playing under 12s there. They aren’t listed on Play Rugby League. Do you know a source? It’s one of my pet subjects. And yes that’s sad!
Its really hard these days as states and regions have moved away from reporting registered players and only talk about 'particpation' numbers. I had to go back to annual reports to find registration numbers and they are a few years old now.

MugaB

Coach
Are these people born and bred Western Australians or immigrants from the east coast, England and New Zealand who love rugby league and just want a team to support?

Perth needs a team that will appeal to everyone, from rusted on rugby league fans who've migrated to Western Australia to parochial locals who are unfamiliar with the game. The Storm's fanbase consists of immigrants who love rugby league and born and bred Victorians who've adopted them as their second club behind their AwFuL team.

If the Storm were a relocated Sydney team then how many parochial Victorians would get behind them?

Allso, didn't the article mention that the WA government were in Brisbane to talk to a few clubs?

For all we know they might prefer to buy into an existing NRL club, but News Ltd wouldn't run a story on that because it doesn't match their agenda. They know a Bears story will sell papers in Sydney.
They probably got told by all 16 clubs to f**k off, just like we tell you most days... seriously why would any current club relocate, when they all get proped up by the NRL? The Bears makes sense coz they don't have a slice

Perth Red

Post Whore

The poll didnt ask lol. What difference does it make? Most will likely be ex pats from RL areas and some will be born and bred sand gropers who fell in love with RL. I dont think the Bears brand carries any great problems from the social media commentary I've seen in WA.
Where the rubber hits the road will be in what the NS Bears want out of the arrangement. Any more than a minor ownership stake and one game a year in Sydney and we should walk away. id rather wait 20 years than end up with a Sydney club playing a few games in Perth.

MugaB

Coach
The poll didnt ask lol. What difference does it make? Most will likely be ex pats from RL areas and some will be born and bred sand gropers who fell in love with RL. I dont think the Bears brand carries any great problems from the social media commentary I've seen in WA.
Where the rubber hits the road will be in what the NS Bears want out of the arrangement. Any more than a minor ownership stake and one game a year in Sydney and we should walk away. id rather wait 20 years than end up with a Sydney club playing a few games in Perth.
You know they'll push for at least 2, which is do-able without hurting perth too much, but still not ideal, should just commit 2 trials and one home game to Sydney... which leaves a cool 11 games in WA...
That should be the standard...
What that does is gives the NS faithful 2 weeks in a row of north sydney bears magic/fesitval/bbqs/markets whatever that they can plan around those games, then a mid season saturday arvo match V manly at SFS maybe around july, which could become a bit of an annual event, the rest is perth in perth 11 rounds of west coast, dont forget they'll have games vs souths and easts at the SFS also, so it will get ns fans use to the new stadium

Last edited:
The Storm have provided the blueprint for a rugby league club to survive and thrive in a rusted on fumbleball state.

If we want a team in Perth to work we need to accept Western Australians have their own culture and aren't going to give it up to support a failed Sydney club from the NSW Cup that is trying to impose its traditions and culture onto everyone else. All of this crap about playing games at NSO is imposing culture from the North Sydney Bears era onto the new club and expecting Western Australians to buy into it.

MugaB

Coach
The Storm have provided the blueprint for a rugby league club to survive and thrive in a rusted on fumbleball state.

If we want a team in Perth to work we need to accept Western Australians have their own culture and aren't going to give it up to support a failed Sydney club from the NSW Cup that is trying to impose its traditions and culture onto everyone else. All of this crap about playing games at NSO is imposing culture from the North Sydney Bears era onto the new club and expecting Western Australians to buy into it.
Fk me ...you really hate sydney

Go the Bears!!! Sorry, sorry, sorry

Go west coast!!!

gallagher

Juniors
You don't think that's because WAXIT is a minor party with little funding to promote themselves and went into the election with just one policy?

Plenty of people smoke marijuana, but it hasn't translated into the Marijuana Party getting their vote.

Most voters are rusted on to Labor or LNP and won't budge from their position. A smaller block with no allegiance will change their vote based on policies that affect them. It doesn't mean they don't agree with some of the sentiments of the minor parties.

Everyone knows we live in a two party system, so why waste a vote on a minor party that won't get in?

As for your comment about taking two games to Sydney. That's a surefire way of getting parochial Western Australians offside. The Swans and Lions never took games to Melbourne, despite them being relocated clubs that weren't dead for 23 years before making the move interstate.
Thanks for telling sometime who lives in Perth what's going on in Perth. Seriously???

gallagher

Juniors
But have you read the new york post?

Wb1234

Referee

Why did you pick the storm and not the lions or south Melbourne ?