What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Canard

Immortal
They no doubt have the upper hand but IF the issues are doubt over the pathways etc.

Then funding can only do so much particularly with working in the confines of a salary cap and no draft.

Even a draft still doesn't ensure the players stay past their 1st contract
Say they align themselves with the Bears, and that is their junior pathway.

How does any of what you raised above be de-risked? There is nothing forcing anyone to play at any club beyond a contract.

If we are going to be so risk adverse in our expansion options, than we will add no teams.

Bukowski

Juniors

How does any of what you raised above be de-risked? There is nothing forcing anyone to play at any club beyond a contract.

If we are going to be so risk adverse in our expansion options, than we will add no teams.
That's my issue. The Perth club spends money on resources on kids in North Sydney just for the them to possibly not want to move to Perth. That money and resources need to be spent on Perth pathways.

Iamback

Coach

Lets assume they do link up.

Head coach and pathways manager are setting the playing style all the way down from Perth not ran seperate as in a feeder situation

So that way the NRL club can ensure players are playing the same style

You have NSW Cup - given they are part time you even if you found 30 fringe NRL guys that would move.

The salary cap limits how much you can pay them, You are looking to find jobs for partners and I think the players would a multi year deal to make it worth it.

So that becomes a logistical nightmare - unless you run that where the majority of players are. That allows the option to get better players throughout the year also.

Under that.

Of course you'd run Perth junior rep teams - You'd get others from other sports/overseas

But you are competing with the other 17 teams for the elite RL talent. Again you want that where kids can stay at home or school longer.

So I'd run 2 teams in these grades

Yes you may lose them but the advantage is you can have them go over and do pre-seasons, and at other points across the season.

The aim would be to get these kids comfortable in Perth, Hopefully make friends or meet a partner over there to make the move less overwhelming and keep them longer term.

Although instead of running a junior rep program with 60 kids or so. You are doubling that, which hopefully fast tracks the process to catch the other sides quicker.

Ideally Brisbane Easts would be the partner but with the chance of Bris 3 coming in they aren't interested.

So it leaves the Bears as being the option IF they can't convince the NRL otherwise

Iamback

Coach
That's my issue. The Perth club spends money on resources on kids in North Sydney just for the them to possibly not want to move to Perth. That money and resources need to be spent on Perth pathways.

Wouldn't the Bears do that though? They are bringing money to the table.

Perth should still have their pathways aimed at the locals. Bears are there to cast the net wider

Bukowski

Juniors
Wouldn't the Bears do that though? They are bringing money to the table.

Perth should still have their pathways aimed at the locals. Bears are there to cast the net wider
So two separate clubs in the lower grades? Perth Bears and North Sydney bears?

Vlad59

Juniors
You're doing my job, but your only targeting Iamback, did he sleep with your favourite Cousin-Aunty-Sister?
Him? He led with his chin and got thumped. It was too easy. He’s turned into a pathetic poster with an agenda. I just thought I’d let him know.

Iamback

Coach
So two separate clubs in the lower grades? Perth Bears and North Sydney bears?

Kind of like how the Storm work.

They run their own u17's, 19's and 21's. A mix of locals and others they have recruited.

then their clubs in QLD and the Bears run same program.

The only change is I think that the NRL team should have say instead of a feeder arrangement.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Nope, I can see the challenges a Perth club would have. But that doesn’t alter the fact that Vlandys has said the opposite to what you’re claiming.

id suggest what ever the wa govt is offering is enough for the arlc to take the risk. Whatever they’ve offered has caused them to do a 180 backflip from a couple of years ago on Perths chances And has now elevated them to fave for club 18.
You’d suggest do you? Lmfao

Bukowski

Juniors
Kind of like how the Storm work.

They run their own u17's, 19's and 21's. A mix of locals and others they have recruited.

then their clubs in QLD and the Bears run same program.

The only change is I think that the NRL team should have say instead of a feeder arrangement.
I'd copy storms set up exactly.

Theoretically, the ARLC can admit a standalone Perth-based team into the NRL without an upgrade to PRS nor a high performance training centre. The problem is it might lead to fewer players signing with the club and fewer fans actively supporting the club.

The Bears can provide juniors to the club. Where they've shot themselves in the foot is wanting two games at NSO. For the proposed relocation to work it has to be based out of Perth.

Canard

Immortal
Lets assume they do link up.

Head coach and pathways manager are setting the playing style all the way down from Perth not ran seperate as in a feeder situation

So that way the NRL club can ensure players are playing the same style

You have NSW Cup - given they are part time you even if you found 30 fringe NRL guys that would move.

The salary cap limits how much you can pay them, You are looking to find jobs for partners and I think the players would a multi year deal to make it worth it.

So that becomes a logistical nightmare - unless you run that where the majority of players are. That allows the option to get better players throughout the year also.

Under that.

Of course you'd run Perth junior rep teams - You'd get others from other sports/overseas

But you are competing with the other 17 teams for the elite RL talent. Again you want that where kids can stay at home or school longer.

So I'd run 2 teams in these grades

Yes you may lose them but the advantage is you can have them go over and do pre-seasons, and at other points across the season.

The aim would be to get these kids comfortable in Perth, Hopefully make friends or meet a partner over there to make the move less overwhelming and keep them longer term.

Although instead of running a junior rep program with 60 kids or so. You are doubling that, which hopefully fast tracks the process to catch the other sides quicker.

Ideally Brisbane Easts would be the partner but with the chance of Bris 3 coming in they aren't interested.

So it leaves the Bears as being the option IF they can't convince the NRL otherwise
None of this changes the fact, that any potential junior could decide to take up an offer anywhere else.

Wb1234

Referee
Theoretically, the ARLC can admit a standalone Perth-based team into the NRL without an upgrade to PRS nor a high performance training centre. The problem is it might lead to fewer players signing with the club and fewer fans actively supporting the club.

The Bears can provide juniors to the club. Where they've shot themselves in the foot is wanting two games at NSO. For the proposed relocation to work it has to be based out of Perth.
What’s the wa govt been promising if not finishing off hbf and a coe at the minimum

on top they should agree to spend up to five million pa on rugby league juniors

Iamback

Coach
Nope, I can see the challenges a Perth club would have. But that doesn’t alter the fact that Vlandys has said the opposite to what you’re claiming.

id suggest what ever the wa govt is offering is enough for the arlc to take the risk. Whatever they’ve offered has caused them to do a 180 backflip from a couple of years ago on Perths chances And has now elevated them to fave for club 18.

You think a forced Merger is good for the game?

Of course NRL can't force it but they try and get them together

As for jumping PNG. While I can understand why they want them in but it will be a shitshow so them being pushed back is no surprise

Bukowski

Juniors
You do realise the Storm has produced 6 Victorians?

I took the interview with Cummins as they want to produce more WA's, If that is that is case then the feeder arrangement won't work
Yes but they only just started investing into pathways. Perth needs to invest straight away, I'm sure that will be a condition of the bid.