What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Colk

First Grade
Nope, it shows that sensationalist journalism sells.

Positive how?

If you're just saying that they're talking up Perth as a market then they do that in all these articles, with the exception of the ones that they are genuinely trying to sabotage, like when they would talk down any Brisbane bid to protect the Broncos.

They haven’t mentioned anything positive about a second NZ side. So what are trying to sabotage there? This is an article from late last year wherein they claimed that a second NRL side in NZ was a fait accompli yet they still pushed the idea that it could be a disaster

The Great Dane

First Grade
Then they are destined never to see the bears back in the nrl. Their choice.
I don't know about that, you seem desperate enough to acquiesce to their demands...

But in all honesty, and I say this as a Bears fan who a large irrational part of their conscience would love to see the Bears back in the NRL in some form; it's probably for the best that the Bears never get back into the NRL.

siv

First Grade
They haven’t mentioned anything positive about a second NZ side. So what are trying to sabotage there? This is an article from late last year wherein they claimed that a second NRL side in NZ was a fait accompli yet they still pushed the idea that it could be a disaster

Auckland have gone belly up twice

Covid has shown the potential issues in a remote location team

I suspect the RUWC maybe changing the landscape too

The Great Dane

First Grade

Nice cherry picking.

You are trying to draw an extremely low bow in suggesting that News has been hostile to the idea of second club in NZ.

Maybe. It could be as simple as scheduling (the option of four games on a Saturday etc). I think another Brisbane side would be very beneficial for them in order drive up even more QLD subscriptions.

I don’t think they would be keen on a second NZ side because there is not much in it for them - for example how well do the Warriors rate on PayTV?

It would be interesting to know how many Broncos fans don't have Foxtel. They might need to get it now that they're going to be on FTA less from 2023. That was the stipulation News Ltd put in place when they threw in an extra $20m to fund The Dolphins.

I think Foxtel will monitor the public's reaction to The Dolphins before deciding who gets the 18th licence.

Do you think they want a genuine competitor to the broncos monopoly?

No. They didn't want the NBN either because they didn't want competition to Foxtel, but they lost and are now in a position of weakness.

I think they might push for a third team in Brisbane if The Dolphins improve business for the Broncos, The Courier Mail and Foxtel subscriptions in SEQ. But that's a big 'if'.

A third team would give them more content to write about in The Courier Mail and make a Foxtel subscription vital for people in SEQ who want to watch all three Brisbane teams. If they lose broadcast rights to AwFuL then they'll need to double down on Brisbane and add teams to Adelaide and Perth. Sydney's oversaturated so there's nothing they can do there.

I think they know that Channel 9 wants at least one QLD game per week. So an extra QLD team gives them more content to sell to QLD subscriptions.
I reckon Ch9 would like to have at least two games with a Brisbane team, preferably against a Sydney team to boost ratings in both cities.

Pippen94

First Grade
I still think it is split between NZ 2 and Perth and who knows it may change.

I actually think that there is a split between 9 and News about where the 18th team should come from. I note that the press for NZ 2 from Nine and their associated media (SMH etc) has been very positive and quite dismissive of Perth whereas News have expressed concerns about NZ 2 and seem more positive about Perth.

For instance, there has been nothing from Nine/Fairfax about this Bears thing and contrast that with their reporting on the potential NZ side last week. This is totally flipped with regards to News Limited

Great insight. Nine keeps employing Richard Wilkins so there's another tick for kiwi's

Perth Red

Post Whore
T
I don't know about that, you seem desperate enough to acquiesce to their demands...

But in all honesty, and I say this as a Bears fan who a large irrational part of their conscience would love to see the Bears back in the NRL in some form; it's probably for the best that the Bears never get back into the NRL.
hen you clearly havent been reading my posts!

Colk

First Grade
Nice cherry picking.

You are trying to draw an extremely low bow in suggesting that News has been hostile to the idea of second club in NZ.

I didn’t say hostile, I asserted that based on reporting I would suggest that they are less in favour of NZ 2 than other options. The reasons why they may be the case, I could only speculate.

Now In any case, this is where you would present something that counteracts my assertion - i.e present an article which is relatively neutral or positive of NZ 2.

Furthermore, I would add, it is also not only just a question of how they are presenting but also the frequency of what they are presenting.

For evidence, you can also refer to the way in which this bid can be found in multiple News Limited publications over the past week, yet it has remained completely absent on Fairfax publications. It was also completely the opposite with regards to the reporting of the NZ 2 last week with reference to Abdo’s comments - nothing about said remarks were reported on any News Ltd publication yet it was reported quite frequently in Fairfax publications.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
I didn’t say hostile, I asserted that based on reporting I would suggest that they are less in favour of NZ 2 than other options. The reasons why they may be the case, I could only speculate.

Now In any case, this is where you would present something that counteracts my assertion - i.e present an article which is relatively neutral or positive of NZ 2.

Furthermore, I would add, it is also not only just a question of how they are presenting but also the frequency of what they are presenting.

For evidence, you can also refer to the way in which this bid can be found in multiple News Limited publications over the past week, yet it has remained completely absent on Fairfax publications. It was also completely the opposite with regards to the reporting of the NZ 2 last week with reference to Abdo’s comments - nothing about said remarks were reported on any News Ltd publication yet it was reported quite frequently in Fairfax publications.
it is interesting and a good pick up. I can’t see why nine would favour a second nz team though given the low fta ratings for the warriors?

Colk

First Grade
I

it is interesting and a good pick up. I can’t see why nine would favour a second nz team though given the low fta ratings for the warriors?

Who knows?

One potentiality is that if could be simple payback about what happened with the Dolphins. Channel Nine wanted an extra Brisbane team, News Ltd successfully wedge them by ensuring that the most non Brisbane or less significant rival of their Broncos is given the green light.

One less conspiratorial angle is that neither Perth or NZ 2 (if it is indeed between them) is going to offer much to Nine - it is unlikely that either Perth or NZ 2 is going to shown on FTA very often for instance. However, at least with NZ 2 there are less costs for them in terms of production whenever they do show games (travel etc) and there is less to be gained (potentially) for Fox - NZ 2 isn’t going to drive much of an increase of subscriptions in Australia for example.

Who knows?

One potentiality is that if could be simple payback about what happened with the Dolphins. Channel Nine wanted an extra Brisbane team, News Ltd successfully wedge them by ensuring that the most non Brisbane or less significant rival of their Broncos is given the green light.

One less conspiratorial angle is that neither Perth or NZ 2 (if it is indeed between them) is going to offer much to Nine - it is unlikely that either Perth or NZ 2 is going to shown on FTA very often for instance. However, at least with NZ 2 there are less costs for them in terms of production whenever they do show games (travel etc) and there is less to be gained (potentially) for Fox - NZ 2 isn’t going to drive much of an increase of subscriptions in Australia for example.
I'm not being rude here but how many extra subscribers to Fox/Kayo do you think a Perth team will bring?
I would daresay that most, if not all, rugby league supporters in WA already have one or the other.

Thats why I dont think this bid should focus on that part. Focus on a true expansion of the game in terms of growing the game, especially as an alternative to that other shyte they mostly only know about.

Edit: and i'd say a fair few already have the paid subscriptions because of that other game.

Last edited:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Nice but I’d still like to see some gold or yellow somewhere to show that this is a new iteration of the bears and representing wa
I can understand that, but I do love the classic bears brand of black white and red. Maybe have an alternate WA jersey to be worn 2 or 3 times a year
74663167-51C6-4769-B0AA-1876BD86BA08.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore
The second one that gives a nod to the western reds is very nice and getting lots of love on the pirates page lol

The Great Dane

First Grade

I'm not making the claim, the burden of evidence is on you.

So far your evidence is (very) loose speculation, a cherry picked article, and an increase in publicity recently solely associated with the Bears news... Frankly that doesn't suggest much of anything.

You also say that there wasn't much reporting on Adbo's comments in the last couple weeks, but why would there be? Abdo's opinions are old news, people have know them since around the time the Dolphins were announced last year, and articles were written and pundits opinions made known on the subject back then (though admittedly it was overshadowed by the Dolphins winning the 17th license).

As I remember it some people had concerns about a second NZ side, but for the most part people, even most of those that shared concerns, were pretty neutral on the idea no matter whom they were reporting for. In fact most people that were openly against the idea were Kiwis associated with either the Warriors or NZRL, but that's an aside.

The same is true of all bids. They get their names in the news when things are happening, then things go quite until there's another change. That's no different for Perth, NZ, the Bears, Brisbane pre-Dolphins, CQ and CC back in the day, etc, etc.

I mean when was the last time their was a spate of publicity surrounding the Perth bid/s before this Bears news? It was definitely months ago, maybe even more than 6 months ago. So it's not like News has been actively favouring them, or any of other groups currently bidding either.