What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
Scrolling through the Bears groups and reading other Bears fans opinions on this idea is just sad.

Most of the people supporting the idea are totally delusional about what a WA Bears side would actually look like. More than a few are only onboard because they believe that the team would fail in WA then the license would revert to the Bears…

Whoever pulled the ‘up to 6 games at NSO’ line out of their arse is an absolute merkin.
The fact those bears fans are still around shows they haven’t been lost to the game

it won’t be 6 games. reality will set in for them that’s it’s one or two games tops plus they can travel to any away game in Sydney which adds another 8 or 9 games if they want

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any time Perth comes up you think with your dick instead of your brain, so to speak.

This thread has been no different.
what a weird thing to say lol. I've stated my position on this bid idea. 80% WA ownership. no more than 1 game in Sydney or walk away. It has merits as well as draw backs but ultimately if it ensures WA a team as club 18 then I can live with the drawbacks, to a level.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that was DT, who have heavily pushed Norths for inclusion for a long time, its is sad, but i hope the bears moniker works in WA, there's no hope to have them in sydney more than once a year,.... seriously
Well it was Rothfield and the bloke is a dinosaur living in the 80's so we shouldnt be surprised at the tone of the article and it was targeting the Sydney market for those all important clicks lol

Menaiduck

Juniors
what a weird thing to say lol. I've stated my position on this bid idea. 80% WA ownership. no more than 1 game in Sydney or walk away. It has merits as well as draw backs but ultimately if it ensures WA a team as club 18 then I can live with the drawbacks, to a level.
I think you’ve been completely rational about this. This has been a very good discussion overall.

Iamback

Coach

The issue with a club from scratch is no history. GC are a perfect example..

This is a good mix if it happens

MugaB

Coach
I think you’ve been completely rational about this. This has been a very good discussion overall.
Yes, way more receptive to this idea, especially since you're living in perth and are a RL fan, as opposed to dickbag from logan, who seems to be the ONLY person on this whole 37 pages, who is unreceptive totally, in truly his grotd dickbag way...
.....probably needs more singapore slings

Ill see you at HBF park PR, come 2025 enjoying the greatest game in the world

Perth Red

Post Whore

all history has to start somewhere lol. GC often avg more crowds than clubs with 50-100 year histories so not sure the relevance?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, way more receptive to this idea, especially since you're living in perth and are a RL fan, as opposed to dickbag from logan, who seems to be the ONLY person on this whole 37 pages, who is unreceptive totally, in truly his grotd dickbag way...
.....probably needs more singapore slings

Ill see you at HBF park PR, come 2025 enjoying the greatest game in the world
I've heard it so many times over the last 12 years that tbh I have little hope that anything will come of it again. The only glimmer is we know we HAVE to go to 18 clubs sooner rather than later so there will be a spot up for grabs. If Perth is in the ARLC's thinking, and if so the how, time will tell.

Be nice to see you all here though in 2025!

MugaB

Coach
all history has to start somewhere lol. GC often avg more crowds than clubs with 50-100 year histories so not sure the relevance?
Crowds aren't the metric, its about the ability to have sustained success, of which GC has had minimal to none, can you imagine their crowds if they were a top4 team most years... jesuz!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Crowds aren't the metric, its about the ability to have sustained success, of which GC has had minimal to none, can you imagine their crowds if they were a top4 team most years... jesuz!!!!
I think if that's the history your looking for then aligning with the Bears might not be the best idea lol.

Iamback

Coach

It does but sporting landscape is tough atm. If having a Bear as a logo lifts tv ratings and gets some support at away games then it is a good thing

Gold Coast population is double Canberra and Newcastle

Have had about the same success with the same amount of competition for crowds as both.

Play in an decent stadium too

Iamback

Coach
Didn’t hurt the storm

Storm had a gun roster from the start and win games. Have a population of 5m and average 18k.
Any new team likely struggles to make the 8 in year 1 so once the initial gloss wears off if results aren't there is a concern

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
The fact those bears fans are still around shows they haven’t been lost to the game

it won’t be 6 games. reality will set in for them that’s it’s one or two games tops plus they can travel to any away game in Sydney which adds another 8 or 9 games if they want
I think the 6 Games came from Paul Kent on NRL 360 the other day. He said the WA/Bears joint syndicate was great because you would have your 10-12 games in WA and about 6-8 in Sydney.... HE never specifically said all 6-8 would be at NSO; but did advocate for 1 or 2 games at NSO. He mainly meant that with the Bears still having a following in Sydney meant that fans could watch the bears go around again when the WA side plays an away game in NSW.

I'd see that the NSO thing would probably be during heritage round or something like that.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

GC has history though..... it's just a history of constant failure and collapse. Giants, Seagulls, Chargers.... now Titans. There has been GC teams in the past and for one reason or another they have all fallen by the wayside. None have been overly successful on the field; especially when you look at premierships.

You can start a club from scratch and it will survive.... but it has to have relative and realistic success; i.e. it needs to at least be competitive with a vision that it can get better. Melbourne's success (excluding the salary cap cheating years) is a rare phenomenon for most new clubs.... but you have to start from somewhere.

It probably would have been better in the GC Licence had been given to the Burleigh Bears as they are a huge club on the GC and very successful... but I'm pretty sure the CC Bears blocked that from happening because they wanted the licence.

Iamback

Coach
GC has history though..... it's just a history of constant failure and collapse. Giants, Seagulls, Chargers.... now Titans. There has been GC teams in the past and for one reason or another they have all fallen by the wayside. None have been overly successful on the field; especially when you look at premierships.

You can start a club from scratch and it will survive.... but it has to have relative and realistic success; i.e. it needs to at least be competitive with a vision that it can get better. Melbourne's success (excluding the salary cap cheating years) is a rare phenomenon for most new clubs.... but you have to start from somewhere.

It probably would have been better in the GC Licence had been given to the Burleigh Bears as they are a huge club on the GC and very successful... but I'm pretty sure the CC Bears blocked that from happening because they wanted the licence.

AFL's 2 new teams are struggling
Titans
The last 2 A League teams that have been in the comp are the bottom 2 average crowds

That is why the Dolphins will be fine. They will get Redcliffe Fans and those that want to support anyone but Broncs.

So if you can add tradition along with new fans for Team 18 it will be a huge win for a new club

Onionball and Twiggy must be laughing their arse off at this hillbilly proposition.

Putting a failed Sydney team in Perth and playing 1 to 6 of its hone matches at a dilapidated cricket ground in North Sydney will be great for the Western Force. Onionball and Twiggy will talk it down as a failed club from Sydney that is trying to steal Perth's resources to fund RL in a part of Sydney that never had enough fans or investors to support a team. Western Australians already believe their resources are being unfairly taken away from them and given to the eastern states, so you can bet your arse this is how it will be viewed.

Have any businessmen from Western Australia come forward and promised to fund this failed Sydney club, or is Rothfield and co just assuming they will because they think everyone is in love with Sydney?

Parochial Western Australians will gladly reject the Bears and adopt the Force as their second team behind the West Coast Eagles / Fremantle Dockers. Onionball is already ahead of us in Perth with a 15+ year head start, so we're playing catch up and cannot afford to be arrogant about this.

Onionball was arrogant with Melbourne and are paying the price. Locals stuck with the Storm because it was there long before the Rebels came around and made an attempt to blend in with the local culture, which appealed to AwFuL fans.

If the ARLC wants to convert the next generation or Western Australians to rugby league then bring in the Pirates. It already has history in the SG Ball and is owned by Western Australians.

Only the Chargers and Titans have been based on the Gold Coast. The other clubs were based out of Seagulls Stadium in Tweed Heads, NSW.

Burleigh blocked North Sydney's attempt to buy the Titans a few years ago, going as far as threatening legal action.

Last edited:

Latest posts