What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Immortal
That makes no sense from a business case point of view, unless the Norths group are going to throw in some serious money, which so far it seems they havent been willing to do.
According to another poster they may be to get 15 percent equity

Get bears to have board seats and use the money to bribe existing clubs … win win

Dragonwest

Juniors
I agree. A Rugby League club in Perth is a mindboggling risk. Lots of downside and not a lot of potential upside. You would need everything to go right for it to be successful. Chance of making money? 1% and the best possible return would be what? 5%? I wouldn't fork out $1000 on it.
If a NRLWA side takes the participation rate in the state back to the Reds days (when Perth's population was significantly less) you grow the game at grass roots by 4-5% ..... yeah not a lot of upside at all.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
According to another poster they may be to get 15 percent equity

Get bears to have board seats and use the money to bribe existing clubs … win win
NSFC have no money, it would need to be Norths collective LC group, and so far they have given no indication they want to invest anything. Hence why Western Bears bid has said they will fund NS pathways.

Wb1234

Immortal
NSFC have no money, it would need to be Norths collective LC group, and so far they have given no indication they want to invest anything. Hence why Western Bears bid has said they will fund NS pathways.
Norths leagues / norths same thing

Norths leagues own 7 licensed premises including a league club in the tweed area

Wb1234

Immortal
People who know much more about Norths than you or I suggest it most def is not the same thing.
It’s what I meant when I said norths might buy a share

Seeing you panicking that it might only be 18 teams and png being the final team has been kinda funny though

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s what I meant when I said norths might buy a share

Seeing you panicking that it might only be 18 teams and png being the final team has been kinda funny though
No panic, for me it’s Deja vue and something I predicted at the beginning of this more recent expansion journey, I’ve followed rugby league long enough to not be surprised by anything.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did the Dolphins play a license fee?
Nope, but the clubs got their $5mill grant increase as it was tied into the start of the new tv deal. The problem with what the nrl is trying to do is bring in clubs mid tv contract So unless tv are willing to renegotiate they don’t have the extra revenue if clubs are demanding a backhander to say yes. They should have sorted that out before we got this far into the process. To now say clubs need to offer more when it wasn’t in the criteria for submission is pathetic. It wouldn’t happen elsewhere in business I can tell you.

unlike afl who has the revenue and can invest $300mill in their next expansion club nrl doesnt and can’t and now finds itself at the whim of the other clubs, yet again.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Nope, but the clubs got their $5mill grant increase as it was tied into the start of the new tv deal. The problem with what the nrl is trying to do is bring in clubs mid tv contract So unless tv are willing to renegotiate they don’t have the extra revenue if clubs are demanding a backhander to say yes. They should have sorted that out before we got this far into the process. To now say clubs need to offer more when it wasn’t in the criteria for submission is pathetic. It wouldn’t happen elsewhere in business I can tell you.

unlike afl who has the revenue and can invest $300mill in their next expansion club nrl doesnt and can’t and now finds itself at the whim of the other clubs, yet again.
1 billion of govt money is going to support the Tasmanian afl team

BuffaloRules

Coach

They have “ assets” though according to the Bears guy…

Are these of value?

BuffaloRules

Coach

Your beloved AFL again …

Please explain the $5m grant increase ? ( Per club?) with the Dolphins admission?

Was there any expense admitting Dolphins.. or did the players and coaches play for free?

Bukowski

Bench

It would be very embarrassing if expansion ends with PNG after they talked up 20 teams.

Wb1234

Immortal
Your beloved AFL again …

Please explain the $5m grant increase ? Per club?) with the Dolphins admission?

Was there any expense admitting Dolphins.. or did the players and coaches play for free?
He’s mixing things up

Clubs wanted an increase in the grant from 3 million over the cap to five million over the cap to agree to expansion

They will demand even more to agree to a 20 team comp and also from the tv deal which will go up a lot

This helps any expansion team and also the existing ones

Don’t be surprised if the grant ends up being 10 mill over the cap

Players clubs and qrl and nswrl all will ask for more money as the games revenues go up