What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Nuke

Staff member
Those English boys, the squad, were visiting Rotto today. They were on the same ferry over here as my wife and I, and I saw a couple of them buying a heap of quokka t-shirts, caps, stuffed animals and quite a few on push bikes riding around together.
I spoke to one of the coaches / trainers and they were making the most of the warm sunny weather before they headed home where it's apparently bloody cold right now!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
“We’re not dealing with the Perth consortium but I’ve had talks with the Western Australian premier (Roger Cook) and he is just as committed as he always was to an NRL team.”

“But the initial plan (for 19 teams in 2028) is still possible depending on how discussions go with the clubs and the WA government.”

Peter V’Landys - Daily Telegraph.

PVL Expansion Interview. DT/CM/HS

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
PVL is buttering up WA Gov.

People saying there’s plan b, plan c, plan d, plan m16, plan 000, plan a-dw159 etc.

Looks like plan a) in this round of expansion has always involved 1) government investment of some sort and/or 2) tangible assets that can be used as collateral and/or offset assets to counter any potential financial bleeding that may occur in early stages of setting up a club.

That’s not to say further investment from private sector/investors won’t/can’t be added to these models on top of but that would very much be the cherry on top and not the basis of initial financial foundation.

Whether that view has or hasn’t always been transparent I’m not sure. But it is what it is and at a minimum it has been spelled out like this for months now.

Last edited:

Matt_CBY

Juniors
“We’re not dealing with the Perth consortium but I’ve had talks with the Western Australian premier (Roger Cook) and he is just as committed as he always was to an NRL team.”

“But the initial plan (for 19 teams in 2028) is still possible depending on how discussions go with the clubs and the WA government.”

Peter V’Landys - Daily Telegraph.

PVL Expansion Interview. DT/CM/HS
Good to see this is still the case but nothing really new in here.

Wb1234

Immortal
Even after PVL publicly stated “We’re not dealing with the Perth consortium" ?
Yeh I know it sounds dumb

Pvl has been saying a lot of bs lately for whatever reason he has

Nrl ownership of Perth or nz2 would be a very last ditch option and the other nrl clubs would be up in arms due to perceived bias

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I know it sounds dumb

Pvl has been saying a lot of bs lately for whatever reason he has

Nrl ownership of Perth or nz2 would be a very last ditch option and the other nrl clubs would be up in arms due to perceived bias
Not to mention having to put in$30mill of the games money to start it up, covering the risk of any intial losses and wavering the license fee he's stood on the hill of to create this mess!

Centy Coast

Juniors
Pretty sure Cummins is still involved in the bid

The bit about not wanting private ownership is pvl putting pressure on them and nz2 to cough up more cash
There must be personal beef between V’Landys and Cummins ?, even before the Western Bears bid was rejected, whenever V’Landys was interviewed in regards to the Perth Bears, V’Landys always mentioned Roger Coo, the WA Government or the Bears but never mentioned Peter Cummins.
Coincidence ?.
It would be funny if the NRL and the WA Government start this all up only for Cummins to buy them out when they are looking for Private Investors to take over lol.

Wb1234

Immortal
There must be personal beef between V’Landys and Cummins ?, even before the Western Bears bid was rejected, whenever V’Landys was interviewed in regards to the Perth Bears, V’Landys always mentioned Roger Coo, the WA Government or the Bears but never mentioned Peter Cummins.
Coincidence ?.
It would be funny if the NRL and the WA Government start this all up only for Cummins to buy them out when they are looking for Private Investors to take over lol.
Apparently He put stuff in the bid document that really surprised the nrl

One thing was about the branding which wasn’t just bears

But part of this is pvl making an argument so he can milk more money out of the wa govt (which sounds like it’s happening)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Coincidence ?.
V'landys took a set of cuff links to cash converters, only got $4.50 for them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Coincidence ?.
maybe, maybe not.
The talks have always been with the WA govt. They were the ones who started the ball rolling back in 2021, at that time Cumins was very clear he wasnt interested unless the NRL was serious. 2022 WA govt formed a working group to work with NRL and engaged Freshwater strategy with a $500k budget to develop a bid.
Wasnt until 2023 that the consortium had enough confidence NRL wasnt just dicking around again to get involved. At that point Freshwater/WA govt were leading the talks and requested to the consortium they continue to lead them.

re a personal issue, Vlandys ridiculous comments in 2019 angered a lot of RL people in the West. Cumins wasnt shy to publicly let him know. Im sure theres a bit of bad blood between them over that, Vlad doesnt come across as one to let professionalism override personal feeling.

I can easily see that being the scenario, its not like NRL is inundated with people happy to throw $30mill at a license.

I still can see a scenario where the WA govt covers some of the first 3 years accommodation, training centre etc costs whilst the CofE is built so the Western Bears bid can go back with a $10-15mill license fee offer out of the money they have put up. I just dont see the NRL having an appetite to own the club, pay out all the start up costs and waiver the license fee or pay it themselves in the hop eone day someone offers them a load of cash for the established club. They arent the AFL with bottomless pits of money.

Latest posts